Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Aero Position....the basics please !!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiganer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Aero Position....the basics please !!!! Reply with quote

Calling all cycling legends.....

I have now fitted the Yellow Peril with its aero bars which feel nice and comfy, but with regards to best position I haven't a clue.

Can anyone just give me the basics of what you need to be looking for in an ideal position.....and then I can take it from there....

Cheers
Rob_T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as always you will need to pos ta pic of yourself in the position, best i n a room full of junk so we can take the piss Wink
wiganer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobT wrote:
well as always you will need to pos ta pic of yourself in the position, best i n a room full of junk so we can take the piss Wink

all in good time...... Wink

at this point I just want the basics of what I should be doing.......position on seat??, far forward ??, flat back ??, legs and knees ? etc....
Rob_T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well a pic would be 100% more usefull to be honest, so get your best pants on and get snapping Wink
ChrisW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28674&highlight=

Groundhog Day Very Happy

He's soft and he's fat and he's wearing my clothes and he's getting too old and he was born on my birthday and I'm afraid if I stop running, he'll catch up with me
slowdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this post regarding Aero bike setup over on Slowtwitch...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1270418;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=11612715
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read at this.

Doesn't have nay advice about suitable groups sets for Bianchis though.

http://www.cervelo.com/content.aspx?m=Engineering&i=TriBikeFit
Dale Cannonman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiganer - I could wax lyrical on this subject but to save time, I'm putting my money on AndyS coming along soon with his bike position photo showing all the relevant body angles, etc.

But if you can't wait until then, the first step is to get the saddle in the right position. Assuming that your bike has road, rather than triathlon angles, ie, is not so steep, then the chances are that you will need to move yourself forward on the bike by pushing the saddle as far forward as possible on its rails. In terms of height, there are plenty of good web sites that go into the mathematical calculations for arriving at the correct height, but as a general rule, your leg should be only slightly bent when your foot is flat in the six o-clock position of the pedal stroke. Now let's turn to the front of the bike. Assuming that you have some level of adjustment in the height of your bars and tri-bars, you will need to decide whether to have these set at the highest point (for comfort) or lowest (for aerodynamics). If you go for the out and out aero position, you should be aiming for a "flat back". Personally, I would start out aiming for "comfort" and then move slowly to more aero positions as time goes by. In terms of the horizontal position of the bars/tri bars, when resting on the tri-bars, you should be aiming for something like a 90% angle bwtween your upper arms and torso. The exact angle is not critical, but you dont want them so far towards you that it restricts your breating or too far forward that you are too stretched out and unable to control the bike.

I don't know whether any of this helps. If not, I suggest that you take a peep at AndyS' avatar which very illustrates what you should be aiming for.

Dale Cannonman

[/url]
doug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best aero position on a road bike, you want the seat as far forward as it can go and the bars as low as they will go, adjust the reach so you get about a 90degree angle between the upper arm and forearm.

This may not be the most comfortable or powerful position for you though, but is a good place to start, if you find it uncomfortable or you start losing power move the bars higher.

Some articles to get started
http://www.triathletemag.com/Departments/Training/2006/storyd1f3.htm
http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/FIST.htm
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/wayback.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit06.html
wiganer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dale,

That is fantastic and a great help...... Cool
Rob_T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget the shopping basket on the fromt of the bike Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Dale Cannonman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobT - so can we expect to see a shopping basket on your bike at the next Thames Turbo sprint on 7th May? Your name is on the provisional list of entries!

Dale Cannonman Very Happy Very Happy

[/url]
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Cannonman wrote:
Wiganer - I could wax lyrical on this subject but to save time, I'm putting my money on AndyS coming along soon with his bike position photo showing all the relevant body angles, etc.

But if you can't wait until then, the first step is to get the saddle in the right position. Assuming that your bike has road, rather than triathlon angles, ie, is not so steep, then the chances are that you will need to move yourself forward on the bike by pushing the saddle as far forward as possible on its rails. In terms of height, there are plenty of good web sites that go into the mathematical calculations for arriving at the correct height, but as a general rule, your leg should be only slightly bent when your foot is flat in the six o-clock position of the pedal stroke. Now let's turn to the front of the bike. Assuming that you have some level of adjustment in the height of your bars and tri-bars, you will need to decide whether to have these set at the highest point (for comfort) or lowest (for aerodynamics). If you go for the out and out aero position, you should be aiming for a "flat back". Personally, I would start out aiming for "comfort" and then move slowly to more aero positions as time goes by. In terms of the horizontal position of the bars/tri bars, when resting on the tri-bars, you should be aiming for something like a 90% angle bwtween your upper arms and torso. The exact angle is not critical, but you dont want them so far towards you that it restricts your breating or too far forward that you are too stretched out and unable to control the bike.

I don't know whether any of this helps. If not, I suggest that you take a peep at AndyS' avatar which very illustrates what you should be aiming for.

Dale Cannonman

Dale - that's a nice concise explanation. Perhaps I could add that on a road bike I think you have two issues with getting a low aero position.

- getting the seat far enough forward can be difficult, going too low without getting the seat forward will give too acute a hip angle

- getting the armrests low enough, with clip on bars the rests sit quite far above the base bar so again if you go for a real low aero position your base bars end up so low as to make using the hoods position a problem.

I think you've got to balance getting an aero position against maintaining a useable on the hoods type position. Becuase I think most people putting clip ons on road bike are still going to ride on the hoods a fair bit of the time.

Edited : I've thought about this again and I don't think I said what I was trying to say.

what I mean is that when the position feels too low to be confortable then that's possibly because the hip angle has got too acute. In which case you could fix it either by raising the bars or by moving the saddle forward.

Last edited by Waldo on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
AndyS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some pictures, I'll upload later.

You're aiming to get a 90 degree angle between your upper leg (when it's at the lowest point of the pedal stroke) and your torso and also your upper arm and your torso. Getting this box shape isn't dependent on the type of frame you have, you should be able to achieve it on any bike.

A triathlon bike will mean you can get the box shape with and be low at the front which of course will make you more aero. But getting really low will cost you some comfort as it puts extra pressure on your shoulders, neck and knackers - errr groin area, sorry. For Ironman we strike a compromise between getting ultimately aero, such as dillydally in this shot:

To being slightly higher at the front yet still achieving that box shape, like Natasha (which is still an agressive position for Ironman, most are higher still at the front):

Like Towel, higher on the front yet still aero: CLICK

Very agressive: Gordo
Not so agressive: Stadler

But they all achieve that box shape.
Waldo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are trying to get from this :

to this :

the important thing is that the whole rider is rotated forward around the pedals, not just the torso rotated at the hip joint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: