Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Race wheels - yes or no?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alf Duez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Race wheels - yes or no? Reply with quote

Is there any benefit in buying a set of deep rim carbon wheels for race days. I am having this internal debate

For Smile
They will knock vital seconds(?) off my bike section
They look the muts nuts - so I feel better
I need to treat myself after a full seasons training

Against Sad
How much - you've got to be joking!
If I spent the money on getting a coach I could knock minutes off swim/bike and run(?)

Come on tell me your thoughts

Stuart
ukironman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will knock minutes off your times and they are very reliable and durable. How much is the "feel good factor" worth? Exactly - now get the plastic out, you deserve it. Idea
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu

Agree with UKIM here. Carbon medium or deep rims will halp you to go faster. Perhaps not as much gain as either getting fitter or losing weight, but if neither of those apply in your case then go for it. I picked up my Zipp 440s for 200 so its worth looking around the second hand market unless you have the disposable income of a premier league footballer! Happy hunting!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
Alf Duez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise words indeed.

I have been looking for a set on ebay - but people are paying silly prices at the mo. eg used 2003 Mavic ksyrium ssl for 320 (2004 version availble new at 360), 3 year old Spinergy revX wheelset with an estimated 10,000Km use for 450.

Are there any other bike classifieds that you can point me in the direction of?

Cheers

Stu
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on ebay, good deals do come along. You just have to keep checking for them. Something like this would be nice:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7104567075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
Alf Duez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right - however there is another set of Cosmics currently on going that is at 300 and the reserve has not been met.

I know it is about patience and waiting for the right deal - but that doesn't tally with the fact that having been convinced I need them - I now have to beg borrow or steal to get them

I wonder what this computer would fetch?!

Stu
jameshoran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu - I tend to agree. The second hand selling prices seem to be ridiculous when compared to the cost of purchasing new.

I tend to keep an eye out for retailers selling last years stock to make way for new arrivals, or consider purchasing abroad.

james
duncan74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worry is that after spending all that on wheels, come race day there's a strong side wind and you're in trouble.

What wheels do people keep as crosswind insurance?
redbiker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan,

It has to be pretty damn windy before I'd take my Zipps off. I rode Lanzarote on them, no problem. Although if it had been a really windy Lanza day, I'd probably have been better off with kysriums or something similar.

Stu,

If it's not a rude question, how fast are you? I really don't feel the difference in riding my race wheels until I'm doing over 20mph. They make a big difference if you are going 25mph+. They also climb faster than my super heavy 36 spoke training wheels!

I ride Zipp 404's and so far they have been very durable. I soooooo hope I'm not temting fate there. Shocked
www.bike-science.com
Alf Duez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it's not a rude question, how fast are you?

I average around 35kph (22ish mph) - sort of in the middle ground of your suggestions - but this is on a bike with 36spoke non-aero wheels.

Additionally, looking at race results you don't tend to see many sub 1hour 40k splits but you do see a hell of a lot of sexy wheels. So this ultimately makes my point - If it looks good and it feels good then it probably is good Exclamation
MattH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at cyclingplus.co.uk, there is usually stuff going on there, it often goes fairly quickly though, so keep an eye on it. Picked up both my bikes here. You could put an ad in 220 as well

If you are going for quick wheels, is your set up very aero at the moment? If you get quick wheels, but are still upright you wont get so much benefit as if you get your position more aero as well.
MattH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and ctt.org.uk
The Bionik Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavics????? i cannot see why anybody would want to spend all that dosh on what is basically a platic spoiler ( fearing) stuck on the rim a bit halfords if you ask me, still if you go faster whats the problem.
i have said many times HAVE A LOOK AT NAVIGATOR WHEELS they are the dogs, and once up to 25mph+ they are brill, the look good and are a good price also.
terry dolan is the dealer for these baby's i paid 600 for full carbon deep section wheel's with two wheel bags and a set of carbon break blocks, they are tubs but they also do a clincher as well.
happy shopping Stu.

anyone want a fight??
Alf Duez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just taken a look at these wheels and have sent off a couple of questions.

One being that the website says that they are only available as tubs - I have never used tubs before. However I was under the impression that the big drawback was the time it took glue to dry if you had a flat (mate quoted that he wouldn't ride again until after 1 hour in case it rolled off the rim). Is this fact or fiction?
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu - orange is not the only fruit! Forget orrible glue and use double sided tape. If you carry an old tub that you have taken off the rim, it will still have the sticky tape attached and can be attached to the rim in less time than a clincher. No doubt some people swear by glue - I know I did the one and only time I tried it - but don't be put off until you have heard both sides of the story.

Giantman

PS. I agree with Redbiker. I use Zipp 440s and I have never been bothered by cross-winds. These were pretty fierce at madeira this year but the bike was very steady.

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: