Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cervelo at LBS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pearcey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Cervelo at LBS Reply with quote

My LBS is selling a new Cervelo Soloist 2002 frame. They put an Ultegra groupset on it, but haven't been able to sell the bike (for ages I reckon) so they are stripping it again and selling the frame.

What do people reckon would be a reasonable price? They've basically asked me to make them an offer, but have hinted that below AU$1500 (which is about 600 and bikes cost exactly the same over here so it's directly comparable) would be what they would be looking for. The bike fits me - its about the right size.

I note that basically a new Soloist team frame costs about 1100 (or about $2500) but the older frames are slightly different (I'm not sure how much difference this would make to the ride, probably none), but I'm not sure of how much of a markdown I should accept.

Best wishes

Callum
Mister H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that the bike "fits about right" - for the sort of money you are spending I'd want the bike to fit perfect. Remember once you have bought the frame there is only a limited amount of adjustment you make with component ( stem lenght etc).

As in any negogation start low and try to get the other side to reveal their hand first - this is why the shop asked you to make an offer. Personally I go back and say that having done some research you can't find anything comparable on which to compare price and suggest that they let you know what they want for the bike. Expect them to ask for more than they realistically to get.

If you still have to make an offer start low and expect to be bidded up. At the end of the day you can always walk away and think about it - sounds as if the shop are having difficulty in selling so it's unlikely to be sold while you are thing.

Even once you have agreed a price, ask for more to seal the sale - i.e. 15% off component.

The shop want to sell this bike and you would appear to be the only bidder. Use this to your advantage and secure a good deal.

The frame is now almost 3 years out of date. If a 2005 model cost 1100 then the 2002 model was probably originally on sale for 850-900. I'd say that a reasonable price now would be 50% of this, so about 450.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: