Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
My Bala Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: My Bala Report Reply with quote

Pull up a comfy chair, put the phone on divert and get some match sticks to keep your eyes open.

Pre race- We got down to Bala on Saturday lunchtime, the town seemed heaving. Pitched the tent at the campsite on the lake then went and registered. Had the usual joshing as they didnít recognise my Tri Scotland card. I had been a bit of a nightmare for the last couple of days with nerves. I must of packed and repacked my gear about 6 times. I had a prefeler of gear for all weather eventualities.

The race- Did the usual setting up transition then wondering around looking at the fast bikes. Met the marquees de Spike aka ms Spike

Befor

Swim- being a bit of a rock when it comes to water ( I like to have at least a 30 foot yacht ) I started at the back and to one side. I started at a nice slow pace and all was well until about 5 mins in when my breathing went. I can only describe it as having a sort of panic attack. My chest felt tight and I wanted to rip of my wet suit !! I decided just to lie on my back and skull for 5 mines to sort my self out. Did that then alternated between breast stork and crawl for a bit. Did that for 10 mins or so, then settled in to a gentle crawl. I then actually managed to over take a few people. I was zig zaging a bit, so I need to work on my sighting. Got out of the water very woberly in 54:44 so probably about 52 something taking in to account transition. Grabbed my bike gear gel flask etc and got on my way.

Bike- I had a plan stick to 170w on the flat 200w on the hills topping out at 240 w on the short sharp bits. Nutrition wise it was to be a gel or a bit of cliff bar every 15-20 mins.
I enjoyed the bike, going through town was a bit of a blast. I knew most of the climbing was in the first 11 miles or so, but I have been doing a lot of climbing recently so was almost looking forward to it.

A few people passed me on the hills but I let them go, itís a long race so I was trying not to get caught up racing them. I was playing my own game. Coming down the hills was a blast, got up to 39 mph on the tri bars I would have used the breaks but I was too scared. Kept in steady on the flat and I soon over took all the guys who had blasted past me on the hills. Kept feeding my self as well, so felt pretty good most of the way, though by mile 43 or so I was looking forward to the run for some strange reason. I definitely over took more people than over took me, which is always a bonus. The bike course is good, though there are what I suppose are called a false flats, but its interesting, and having the police stop traffic for you is so so much fun.

There was great support from the pirates, itís a bit embarrassing sometimes wearing TT kit as you seem to get more support than the other guys.

Run- I actually had a pretty neat transition apart from forgetting to dump my old gell flask. Started of nice and steady doing about 10:15 min miles, deliberately very slow just to try and get my legs back. I had a pain in my right hip thigh for the last 5 miles of the bike and it started to build a bit. I tried to pick up the pace a bit but it just wasnít happening. I ended up having to do a run walk strategy. I just had no umph in the legs.

It was good seeing lots of TTíers on the return leg as I was going out, said hi to D74 and a few other whoís names I didnít catch.

I knew the run was going to be hard, but this was stupid, there is no flat at all. I was praying for that last hill to end. Finished run it in 2:22:30. Very disappointing as I know I am a far bit quicker that that,

So that was me finished in 6:04:14 I was hoping to be sub 6 but oh well. Considering I almost jacked it in 15 mins into the swim I at least finished. I have to say the organisation was superb and the atmosphere excellent. The pirates were brilliant with their hooters and bells. Definitely one for next year. Where I shall go sub 5:30 !!!!

Leasons learnt- I need to train more !!!

Ps appoligies for the long report

So many races so little time.

Last edited by JamieMcP on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Julius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report jamie, what was the country like? good views? would you recommend this one for next year?
The Ronster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Report
It is a tough race, so will stand you in great shape for IMUK. I don't think the swim is too much to worry about.
I am stating what I am sure you already know, you do not need to be a great swimmer to get round an IM course. Given the constricting nature of wetsuits, and the very cold water, episodes of anxiety such as you had do occur. The way avoid this is so that you have done enough open water swims so that it is just "another day at the office." I went Open water swimming most (summer!) Friday evenings last year for about 30 minutes. I did not worry about swimming a long way, just in getting used to paddling about, sighting, etc. It was a gentle session and basically a very nice and relaxing way to start the weekend, as opposed to being in a pool battering out intervals. From your blog, it sounds like you can swim the distance, so four or five, gentle OW swims as all you need.

Last edited by The Ronster on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you had a nice day Jamie, now you can say you've completed one of the 'Ten Toughest Triathlons' in the UK!
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done for hanging in there buddie.i can sympathize as i've had a few dodgy swims too.
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
ray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good recovery after a nasty start, have to admit i didn't like it at first, but once my head and feet got use to the chill i ws ok.

great report
robertquantrell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report Jamie and good effort for first Middle distance, easy sub 5.30 once you get your sea-legs!!

Are you doing the Vitruvian in Sept after IMUK? It will be my first middle so am getting quite excited already!!

Edinburgh Tri do an OW session at Porty beach on Fridays don't they?
Simon G.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for battling on Jamie - I had an open water "panic moment" at the Wensleydale Tri last summer. My goggles had steamed up, it was a bit choppy and for a short while I couldn't seem to be able to see the other competitors or the buoy I was supposed to be aiming for. It's not nice, is it Shocked

Btw, I shouted to you on the return leg of the run but only realised who you were when I saw/ heard the announcer at the finish.
I was parked near the finish line and would have got out to say hello but at that time my legs wouldn't let me Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, why do these things allways seem so much beter looking back on them

Vegan Power wrote:
nice report jamie, what was the country like? good views? would you recommend this one for next year?

I would definitly recomend it. As for the views/ country they are preaty good, but I'm a bit partisan and would say they aren't as good as Scotland Very Happy

The Ronster wrote:
Great Report
It is a tough race, so will stand you in great shape for IMUK. I don't think the swim is too much to worry about.
I am stating what I am sure you already know, you do not need to be a great swimmer to get round an IM course. Given the constricting nature of wetsuits, and the very cold water, episodes of anxiety such as you had do occur. The way avoid this is so that you have done enough open water swims so that it is just "another day at the office." I went Open water swimming most (summer!) Friday evenings last year for about 30 minutes. I did not worry about swimming a long way, just in getting used to paddling about, sighting, etc. It was a gentle session and basically a very nice and relaxing way to start the weekend, as opposed to being in a pool battering out intervals. From your blog, it sounds like you can swim the distance, so four or five, gentle OW swims as all you need.

I know what your saying- I can bang out 40 min 2k's in the pool. I definitly need to get out more. I know ET do some sesions in mussebrough but do you know of any where else ?

robertquantrell wrote:
nice report Jamie and good effort for first Middle distance, easy sub 5.30 once you get your sea-legs!!

Are you doing the Vitruvian in Sept after IMUK? It will be my first middle so am getting quite excited already!!

Edinburgh Tri do an OW session at Porty beach on Fridays don't they?

Maybe, I'd like to do it but I am doing an adventure race in the borders on the Friday. I came third last year so am gunning for a win this year. I think Orkney 1/2 is on the same day as well. To many races so little time

Simon G. wrote:
Well done for battling on Jamie - I had an open water "panic moment" at the Wensleydale Tri last summer. My goggles had steamed up, it was a bit choppy and for a short while I couldn't seem to be able to see the other competitors or the buoy I was supposed to be aiming for. It's not nice, is it Shocked

Btw, I shouted to you on the return leg of the run but only realised who you were when I saw/ heard the announcer at the finish.
I was parked near the finish line and would have got out to say hello but at that time my legs wouldn't let me Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sorry I tried to say hi to most people but I wasen't at my most sociable on the run Confused How are your legs today ?

mine are goosed which is a shame because I took delivery of my new fixie on friday and haven't had a chance to use it yet

Rob_T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one jamie Cool
Spike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report. Did you get into the water for a warm up before you went into the counting pen? I always find that puts me more at ease when I get in properly.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Good report. Did you get into the water for a warm up before you went into the counting pen? I always find that puts me more at ease when I get in properly.

Nope- leason learnt there. TBH i need a good 10 min warm up when I am swimming anyway so I should have. Think I saw you on the return leg of the run but I was having an anti social moment Smile

Spike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
Think I saw you on the return leg of the run but I was having an anti social moment

No worries. You got away with it. Smile
RichO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done & good report Jamie,

I heard your name on the PA at the end and watched you finish, but I was flaked out with and failed to get up and say Hi! - sorry.

As you said, great support from the Pirates crew and a hole heap of them racing too. Suprisingly I only saw perhaps 6 TT #@?# out there - I had belatedly tried to but some kit myslef but PX had none left.

Great effort, great day!

Rich
TimB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good race, Jamie - I did 6:01 last year (my first Middle) and wanted to break 6hrs this year; I managed 4:54. So yes, you'll easily be back & breaking 5:30 next year! After all, you know what to expect... Wink

Hmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: