Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Windsor - first ever oly tri
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
White Noise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Windsor - first ever oly tri Reply with quote

Short version:

First oly tri finished in 2:16:12!

Long version:

Today was my first Olympic distance triathlon, and what a day it was!
The day started at 2:30 am when I woke up in my tent my head was suddenly awash with everything that I had and would do in the day ahead, and that was it, no more sleep for me, spent till 5 half asleep half awake, not nervous or worried just anxious thinking about everything, I wanted it to be 5 so I could get my kit together then be 7:15 and I would be in the water then racing, in reality that was pretty much what happened, after 2 and a half hours of my mind wandering I got up and sorted my gear and me and my mate drove to the tri from our campsite. We were there for 6 and watched the first sprint wave go off, this open water swimming is pretty new to me and have only done 5 sessions of it. So seeing the full on start of a race in the flesh was new to me! The wave went and I was expecting all hell to break loose and in fact it was all pretty sedate a few knocks and swimming over people but that was it, pha easy! Very Happy
Saw a mate off in her wave then got into trans to sort my gear out, tires pumped up and everything sorted, then met up with my mum and sister who had traveled a long way to be in Windsor and huge thanks had to be given to them for being there. Next thing I know itís after 7 and my mate asks if I should be getting ready, oh bugger, so in the wetsuit to get in the water. Nervous? You decide!

Swim 1.5km (actual swim Ė 25:22, run to trans - waiting for final splits)

Get called to the start and its time to begin, I was told that if you are even a half decent swimmer then you should start toward the front on the right, I eventually positioned myself of the RHS on the second row of the swimmers. The order to start was given and we were off.

i am somewhere in that

I got into my stroke and start heading to the right bank, there a few knocks but nothing serious and I am saying to myself what the bother is about this is fine, then suddenly I have someone on my left that is bumping me, and does so for about a minute, Iím just thinking ďfook off and find your own water!Ē manage to get clear of him and end up in clear water not really knowing where I am in terms of the group but keep myself going, Iím beginning to get bored and think that I am really slow then suddenly I am with the slow swimmers of the wave before me and I have to get past them. I spy the sprint buoy and try and work on keeping my stroke smooth. As I swim past the buoy I start to get into the centre of the river where the current is strongest, opps. But it does mean that I am able to see some other people in my wave as I am only breathing to my RHS. I try and push past them and use them a gauge of speed. And it seems that I am slowly moving past. I get to the turn buoy and there is a bit of pile up but not too much of a problem, now then its time to go with the current, and make sure my stroke is long and again I seeing some people in my wave but I donít seem to move past them, plus I think that tiredness is creeping it and my technique is going to pot. Before I know it I see the exit buoy and I am nearly past it, guick change of course and get up into the channel and out of the water, thank god there were people lifting me out, I was knackered! Look at my time on my watch, a bit slower than I planned but not bad.

I really wish I had a GPS unit to show how zigzagged my swim route was! Very Happy

T1 (waiting for final splits)

Get into trans from the short run, struggle with my wetsuit legs a bit as really not used to getting the things off. On with my bike shoes and gear, grab my bike and start my long run in my bike shoes out of trans as I am situated near the swim entrance. I must figure out how to get onto the bike with shoes already attached.

Bike 42km (waiting for final splits)

I had ridden the bike course a few weeks ago and liked it so I knew what to expect, I got going down the 5km flat straight and seemed to be passing everyone. I couldnít see anyone in the distance who was pulling away from me, then it crossed my mind had I gone off to hard as I am not used to racing at this distance, in the end I thought sod it I feel fine keep going. Came up some packs of about 4 that were drafting and this annoyed me, however they were slower than I was by myself so I figured sod them leave them be to their Ďraceí!
Got to the first turn and continued to catch a lot of people, things were going great and the rest of the bike is a bit of a blur. Got to drift road and the amount of packs were annoying but I was passing them pretty easily. I felt that I tired towards the end of the bike, but the last section was down hill so it didnít make too much of a impact
I was only overtaken by two people on the bike and one of those was someone that I had just overtaken, once they were in front, I thought I am having none of that and promptly got past him again and that was the last I heard of him, much to my amusement he was on a Cervelo P3 with disk wheel!
There was drafting going on, but I wasnít involved in any as I am very surprised but happy to say I was too fast for them!
Bike in all felt great, really felt good and thought that I was moving well.

T1 (waiting for final splits)

The bike in was annoying as I got caught behind someone that was moving really slowly on the small path to the dismount, chucked the bike on the rack and put my run shoes on and legged it out of trans with a gel and a bottle.

Run 10km (waiting for final splits)

Well to the run, this is where I thought that my whole race would come crashing down as I didnít drink that much on the bike and may have hit it too hard, the course was 3 laps with a steep hill after 300m of each lap, with the rest being flat, the first lap went well and felt strong, however I was finding that as I tried to push the pace I started to get a stitch so had to hold back, second lap went past then on the third i tried to hit it hard but in the end my third lap was the slowest!

Overall (2:16:12) Headbang

I really had a really great day, I had a load of support from my family, plus there was the added bonus of pip shouting at me on the run, really helped when I felt sh!te, the course is a really good one with a challenging run. The organisation of the event was great, though I donít know if I would do it again as it really is a expensive thing to do, I think I will be sticking more to raceís rather than the big event races.

One happy but tired WN

All in all everything seemed to come right this weekend; friends, family, the event and especially the weather! I finished feeling happy and knowing that I have set a good bench mark for me to beat! apparently i was 50th overall and 9th in my age group (M25-29)! Shocked
WN

Last edited by White Noise on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
JR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on a great first olympic race, nice report with pics
Rob_T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report and great race.
well done Cool
e-j

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats again, great race report.

(I've got a lot of work to do to even get close to you Rolling Eyes )
iainm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a great first race result WN, well done!
Rob O

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking race Mike. Well deserved.
andygates

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done that man!
2010: Burnham 1:26:11; Bristol Harbourside
Free Garmin UK Maps: www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps
AthletesFoot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, great report.

Cut 4 inches off the legs of your wetsuit, it will fly off!
tri_bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Great write up!

My first also. 2:45 which I'm quite pleased since I've done very little training the last 6 weeks, due to an infection, still on anti biotics now Mad

Well done and maybe one day I'll catch you Smile
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsor - first ever oly tri Reply with quote

Hi WhiteNoise,

I started in your wave. Your swim time sounds around the same as mine (25-something out of the water) so that could've been me on your left (probably thinking the same thing as you Very Happy) By the way, do you ride a white Planet X bike?

Ian
johnny_one_gear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice One WN.

Johnny
pip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

You did brilliantly, if you can do that on your first oly then there's some great stuff to come.

I am a much better spectator than triathlete Smile I am glad my foghorn voice helped you.

Pip
White Noise

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsor - first ever oly tri Reply with quote

tivmeistergeneral wrote:
so that could've been me on your left (probably thinking the same thing as you Very Happy) By the way, do you ride a white Planet X bike?

if that was you here's a gift for you! Very Happy

i would love a white PX but nope that wasn't me, though my frame is a metallic silver in colour, i had a deep section on the front and a tri-spoke on the back.
cheers for all the comments, hopefully quicker times will come soon with more hard work! Smile
pip you have a voice of a angel! Wink
WN
Phil Wilson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsor - first ever oly tri Reply with quote

White noise wrote:

pip you have a voice of a angel! Wink

A hell's angel.

Very Happy
Wrinkles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie to this forum and to tri can I first congats WN on his time and secondly say how great the event was.

It was my first ever tri, I went straight for the Oly and came in at 2.37.53, not as impressive as WN, but I was pleased. At 36 you start to think sport is behind you, but I see where I can improve and look forward to Bath.

I've participated in and attended various sporting events over the years but have never come across such camaraderie amongst so called rivals. The crowds were great, but for me with no support team, the marshalls got me to the end.

Sorry for hijacking your thread WN, but just wanted to get that off my chest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: