Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Shropshire Qualifier
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Shropshire Qualifier Reply with quote

Just spoke to an athlete that I advise who has just raced at Shropshire. She was reporting a lot of drafting on the bike leg with the organisers seemingly taking little or no action. There were allegedly packs of 5-6 athletes, many from the same teams, forming up and riding chain gang fashion possibly to get their star athlete into a better postion for the run. Anyone else race or can report a similar experience or story? Surely we want the fastest 18 athletes from each age group so these cheats are only fooling themselves. Is this worth reporting to the BTF or is it just the scourge that is blighting these types of races?
Towel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they from Loughborough? If so, they were not drafting
White Noise

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutter from this site was racing there today, i really hope those reports aren't true as he is hoping to get a slot there.
he is very strong on the bike as it is, so if there was drafting it would really harm his chances! Mad
hopefully he can confirm or dispel this rumour
WN
Josie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think cutter did 2:02 - he wasn't sure if he'd qualified or not but wouldn't be surprised if he did. He hasn't run much lately as still recovering from injury so he's got better races to come.

Tonnes of drafting - can still remember the numbers of the people around me - very tempted to name and shame especially as none of them were caught officially. Though only saw one draft buster so he'd have been a very busy man if he was writing any down.

Really really high quality of people there today. Transition was carbon heaven and I did 2:24 which is a 5 minute Oly PB for me and was near the back of the ladies in my wave. Lot of work to do me thinks!
Neil63

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josie

Great result keep in there and makes those small strides to achieve the results you deserve. The trouble is we all don't name and shame, I don't but I know I should, you should but I know you won't. So what can we do but accept it or hope the organisers do something about it. Come on BTF this is meant to be the qualifiers for YOUR team so what have you got to say?
Iain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter if you name and shame, because all you'll get in reply is denial's and accusations of you having a grudge against those you name.

I found that out when I named and shamed last year. Blatently drafting team mates who never saw each other for the whole bike ride despite leaving T1 together and arriving at T2 together. Heck, who are we to argue with those fighting for the prizes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Mad .
Windmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot of draftin there today and I didn't see one draftbuster while i was on the course.

I found myself getting involved even though i was trying not to. There was a pack of 10 around me and even when I did pass them they would all come back past in procession and drop in in front. without slowing down to let them go or going anaerobic and trashing my legs I was always going to be close. I did try to maintain the draft zone when behind but with so much too-ing and fro-ing its difficult.

I wasn't attempting to qualify and I would not have done with my 2:07 but I think some people who rode an honest race probably missed out today to some people who didn't Sad
cutter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not quite sure of my time, may have been a bit slower than 2:02...just not sure. Don't reckon I qualified though, there are some fast boys and girls there.

There was some quality drafting at some points though...I came up behind a pack of about 15 at one point....funny enough, they all stayed together, even when a draftbuster was riding his mototbike right next to them. The annoying thing is, if they don't get DQ'd, a 2 min penalty is probably worth it. If I could find a couple of other fast guys, I reckon as a 4up it would be possible to get round there in about 51...add 2 mins and you're still totally flying. The pack that I saw stayed together for a good 5k...I had to really hammer it to get past them and make sure that none of them stayed on my wheel....two did try though - cheats hey?!

Ah well, first olympic out the way. At least it means that I need to race Wakefield flat out. Plus, I have a lot of demons to settle on that course....went the wrong way twice last year, along with some more embarrassing errors that I'd rather not talk about.

|||BLOG|||
CrazyGirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same thing happened last year.

I got over taken by a pack of about 6 with one girl at the back shouting to her team mates to keep working together and to think of the win.

It isn't the first and it won't be the last unfortunately.
TomW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't see any drafting today but then didn't see many people either Exclamation Had one of those races when you just seem to be on your own from start to finish... I think a couple of people took me early on the bike and a couple late on the run other than that was in 'no-mans land' for most of the day.

had promised my coach I'd take it easy so as to recover from Bala in time for IMCH and so limited myself to heart rates of 150 on the bike and 160 on the run (would probably end up ten beats higher than both of those at full race pace). didn't think I'd manage it with a couple of mates in the wave after mine and thought my competitive spirit would overcome me... but no... averaged exactly 150 on the bike and 158 on the run to give me 2.07 feeling very comfortable Very Happy Very Happy Having never done a race and not 'raced' before it was a bit weird but I'm sure I'll benefit in 14 days (is that all?) time Very Happy Very Happy
TomW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. any idea when the results are up??
FatBob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also raced? at Shropshire today.

Seen quite a bit of drafting going on but no blatant chaingang type stuff. More just loose packs forming as the heats were so close together (5mins between each wave)

Crazy Girl. Last year was quite bad but there were over 50 people who ended up with penalties or DQ's. From what I heard over the tannoy, there were quite a few today as well. As for no of draftbusters, I only seen one the whole route but then I was watching tarmac and breathing out my rear end for most of the bike.

Maybe the drafting was more blatant at the sharp end in the younger age groups rather than my old foggie 45-49 age group ?

Maybe it's time that all race organisers adopted the same penalties as Triathlon Scotland - 6mins drafting penalty for a sprint and 12 for a standard. It certainly seemed to make a difference and it is no longer "worth the chance of getting caught"

Solution to people hugging your wheel - A quick scoosh of your juice bottle over your shoulder Embarassed

I learn a lot.

Paul
marktickner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Shropshire Reply with quote

I race there today also and yes their were loose packs round the course (well around me there were). I exited the water leading the 2nd swim pack in the G's (yes I am getting on in years!) and from the word go, it was me, a guy from Oxford Tri club and my mate (and athlete I coach) Mark White together all the way round the bike course for 25 miles! We caught 2 or 3 from the wave before and as usual they would 'sit in' and work with us. No one was really drafting as such but certainly the ones from the previous wave were closer to the wheels in front than most!

Got off bike and took about 4km to get my legs back and loosen them off then proceeded to work through the G's and overtook Mark W at 6km and surged to win my age group!

Now do I go to Hamburg!!? Confused Been training for Ironman and done no proper speed work for this short stuff mullarcky... and to be honest can't stand the anaerobic suffering either!

Great race though and good to go back there after a decade!
Technical Director/Head Coach - www.A2Tri.com
Follow me on: www.Twitter.com/MarkTickner
Fully Ferrous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Shropshire yesterday. My first Olympic, first year of Tri (doing IM Austria in 4 weeks). Finished in 2:26 (I'm 44) but really enjoyed it. Great competition and great to be with all you serious athletes. Didn't honestly see much drafting at my end of the race (my wave didn't go off till 1130) but did see quite a presence of draftbusting bikes so don't know where they were for you guys.
I guess the refs can only do what they are empowered to do and are limited by the cost of putting the motorbikes on the road... or am I being too kind?

www.jevononeill.blogspot.com
Triathlon, Life, Movies and everything in between.

www.twitter.com/ironmanj
eggman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, had a great time yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also had one of those races where I seem to have spent long periods, in the swim, bike and run, where I was on my own - consequently I also didn't see any drafting.

Did 2:11 which is a new Oly PB for me by over 6 mins which I was chuffed to bits with. First time I'd raced in a qualifier and found the standard pretty daunting ! Great race though - thanks to everyone involved in organising it. The cake selection at the end was particularly impressive !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: