Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Triathlon. How do you start? Training, Equipment etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old 133

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Triathlon. How do you start? Training, Equipment etc. Reply with quote

Hi

I run a bit and was wondering how to get involved in a tri. Any good books, websites etc. I'm interested in what is the minimum equipment you can get away with for a beginner, eg do you need any sort of super bike or will anything do? Do you need a wetsuit etc. How to train what split in % between running cycling & swimming. I'm not looking for a good time just want to see if I enjoy it. I don't want to spend a lot of money to find I don't like it.
Andy_S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Just like any sport, you can get into tri just for fun, it's not all elite athletes. You don't need a wet suit if you do a 'sprint' event as they're usually based in a swimming pool. You can use any bike you want, I'll be using my mountain bike, as long as it's safe and road legal its fine. You will need a cycle helmet though. The best thing to do is just do it. Go swimming and cycling to support your running and just get stuck in, if you donít swim then thatís likely to be the area youíll have to work on the most (is for me). If you go to my web start page here:

http://www.montecarlo.demon.co.uk/stuff/start.htm

The list of links on the right, cleverly put under the title 'triathlon', are very useful. The British Triathlon Association has lots of information for a beginner. Doing a Google search for 'triathlon beginner' should work too.

http://www.trinewbies.com/1TP.htm has beginners training programmes although I only got a day into their one before going my own way!

Good luck and let us know how things go.
not_connor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: It's easy Reply with quote

First you don't need a super bike just a working Mountain bike, serviceable pair of training shoes and swim gear and your set, oh and goggles. No point in spending the earth if you do your first one and think sods this for a game of soldiers.

Then just check your local area for a tri and enter. Itís that simple, did my first one riding a rusty old MTB and the chain kept falling off.

Main thing go for it and enjoy it.
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Jeff Very Happy
don't put any pressure on yourself initially, just know that you can do teh distances in each discipline -in whatever way you can.
Jeff said
Quote:
I'm not looking for a good time just----

Have a good time -I do Wink (sorry, a case of only highlighting half a sentence Sad )
Read the links suggested, look at postings on here and ask away -there is always someone who knows and willing to share Smile
If you do a pool based sprint distance then no wetsuit needed.
Trouble is it's a long wait now, and I'm itching to go again already Very Happy
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff. I'll echo what the others have said - just go for it. Any bike will do as long as it's roadworthy, but helmets are compulsory. Find a pool based sprint triathlon which will most likely be a 400m swim, you don't even have to do front crawl, loads of people do breaststroke. As Sue said, the trouble now is that the season has pretty much finished, so you'll probably have to wait until next April / May for your first race. So that leaves plenty of time for training Wink Be warned - it's addictive (and can get expensive!!).
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started because I got bored with running races and wanted a new challenge, something different. Arriving at your first tri can be scary, but spend some time on these forums and you'll have an idea of what is going on.

In terms of training for that first tri, I just did a mixture of all three events, ensuring that I could do the distance in each. At the end of the day, it is all about participation and enjoyment. First timers and mountain bike riders get great support - pick a race and go for it!
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff, def recommend getting this: https://endurancefilms.hivelocity.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EF&Product_Code=01RF&Category_Code=01T
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see how a "Triathlon Crew T-shirt" is going to help.... Wink Wink
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob it's called a DVD you luddite! Laughing
And I've told you before to get one sorted... Mad
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the one from Ludlow, not me! Wink
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you before, I moved-on/evolved a lot since the age of 17. Although I do still keep my quill pen Embarassed
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz
Quote:
jeff, def recommend getting this

were you meaning the 3 pack -just to be on the safe side Laughing ( Embarassed )
old 133

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Thanks for the replies I'll study all the links at the weekend. I'm not worried about doing one till next year, I just needed to know how / if to start training for next year.

Last year I did think about trying the Windsor one as it's round the corner but diving into the Thames at 6:30am (I think it was) put me off a bit. Then seeing the London Tri on TV this year made me think 'I could do that', and pounding the streets through the winter for another LM is not as appealing as it was. My weak point is definately swimming (haven't done it for a couple of years), next is cycling (about 1 year since I did that) so I'll probably train for these in the gym overwinter with some running at the weekend.

Thanks again for all your time in posting.
Guess its all down to the lemon test!!
not_connor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: have Fun Reply with quote

Everyone has weak points. I couldnít swim at all well only the doggy paddle and still find it hard but itís doing it thatís the fun bit. And well if your lucky and you are talented then hey you might start placing in the finishing table (ooohhhhh my dream). I trained nearly all indoors for my first one, swim goes with out saying in a pool but I did my entire bike training bar on ride a week before the race and nearly all my runís on a tread mill. But you donít know really were you should train till you do your first. My training order in order of weakness is swimming bike and run, same as yours I believe.

Go for it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: