Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IMA 2007 race report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runtilyoudrop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: IMA 2007 race report Reply with quote

My first ironman and what a great place to do it.

The set up there is fantastic and has probably the best swim of them all. The build up was good and weather was thankfully not to hot. Joined a long queue for bike check and was glad I did as bike derailleur hanger was bent and they had fitted 9 speed bar end shifters where I had 10 speed casette (explained occasional crunchy gears)

Race day came and queued in traffic at 05:00 hrs. All was calm and found myself standing at waters edge watching the 4 helicopters overhead.

I had chosen to go in the slow starters side rather than the fast starters as I figured I could avoid some of the argy bargy at the beginning. With 4 minutes to go we where let into the water. Quick sprint to start line to warm up and then bang the cannon went 3 minutes early. Lucky me cause I was at the front and ready to go. I heard some at the back had not even got into the water.

Boxed around in the swim for first 900m before getting some clear water at first turn. You then swim back and enter the famous canal with 900m to go.

This is great with crowds on both sides yelling and waving as you get a occasional view and hear them garbled through the water. Came out of water and straight into T1. 1hr for the swim wahay.

Not too bad in T1 cream rubbed on by helper and Bikeshirt on to avoid getting shoulders burned.

Out to Bike and I am off. First bit of road is downhill and I am flying. Quite busy and lots of fast moving bikes. I dig in and follow at a safe gap. Plenty of Draft busters giving it with the whistles and generally well behaved triathletes complying. Felt nauseated for first 1-2 hrs and back aches for reasons I do not understand. Kept forcing food and drink down but never sure if it will stay there. First crack at the Rupi hill. Not to bad frankly and the DJ at the top is ace "C'mon you ironman c'mon you ironladies".

Start to feel a bit rough so back off a bit on the way back into Klag(80-90 km). Just drink water and then get a bottle of Coke at feed station, works wonders for me!!

Ease in to second lap trying to stay strong. Gradually nausea goes and can start to eat again. Start to get my mojo back and catching up with those I had let go at the start of the first lap. Saw a german called Dieter or similar getting a right ticking off by the Draftbusters and I think a yellow card. Other dratf buster gets a bit excited as we approach the hills and tries to get people to seperate as we go up a hill at 10mph, you just gotta smile. Second time up the Rupi and spin my way up in time to the music, I love that guy. Soon speeding on back to Klag. Last 10 km is pretty much downhill and then flat. Feel like I am on my own until I turn a corner with 3 km to go and it gets flatter whereupon the train that I seem to have been pulling shunt past like one large peloton. Then they all stop at the feed station with about 2km to go (why?) I carry on into T2 pasiing about 10 as I go.

T2 OMFG I cannot stand up. Trainers on, hat on, gels in pockets and head out. It is hot, my back is killing me after 5 hours bent double. Decide it will probably wear off and keep going bent double. Sveral good runners go past. Start on my first gel. It is real hot as we go out on first loop. Aid stations are great. Drink sponge drink banana sponge. No stopping but back still hurts like a $"%ard.

Foot starts to hurt and I think it is my sock digging in so stop to sort it out. Sit down on back take trainer off and arrange sock and put trainer back on. Realise I have sat on a big patch of stinging nettles. My bum is stung but it is a welcome(?!) distraction from the back. From then on I am locked in too running. Plenty of support from TTers around turnaround esp. TomW. Feed staions are focus for running. Down to powerbar gels (I prefer SIS) which I eat as I get to next station so I can then wash down with water. The support is fantastic. With 10KM to go I know I can do it. km to go and I push for the finish line.

I turn into the finish and cannot believe the time. 20 mins faster than I dreamed about. I am an ironman. 10hrs 13 mins and 15 secs.

30 mins later I am sat in a Jacuzzi with a beer and a pizza working out where I am gonna get 13 mins and 16 secs from.
Addison

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result, mate! Best of luck with your training for Lanzarote next year. You got any more big races planned before then?
runtilyoudrop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be at London Tri and the Vit; if I can get a weekend pass.
Slacko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent time for your first IM!

Mrs S & I have entered this as our 2008 IM and am looking more forward to it with every race report I read! Very Happy
Mrs Slacko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is such a good report and a great time, welldone Worship The swim down the canal part sounds great (particularly for OW panickers like me)! Only 2900 out in the big bad lake Clap.
pip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done Gabriel, i am sure you can find the 13 mins next year
Fully Ferrous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel
Great report and so well done mate. Great time and so enjoyed the weekend. You'll soon be under 10 no problems.
My race report is going on the Austria site now.
J.

www.jevononeill.blogspot.com
Triathlon, Life, Movies and everything in between.

www.twitter.com/ironmanj
Legs of Jelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on completing your 1st Ironman!!! Cool

Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done RTYD! Great report and great time Wink . I hope it made up for your dissappointment at Clearwater. If you're heading for Lanza next year I'll see you there, although I reckon we'll both struggle to find that extra 13 minutes on that course Rolling Eyes .
runtilyoudrop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers whisk.

Good time for you too!

Lanza gonna be a bit tougher I reckon.
Kaiser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and congrats on that time Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: