Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Yet another IMUK 2007 Race Report? 'fraid so.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frosty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Yet another IMUK 2007 Race Report? 'fraid so. Reply with quote

What a week! I'm still buzzing with excitement.

As some of you know we had some bad news in the run up to the race but Charlotte was determined to make it to see me finish. I posted some time ago about whether or not I wanted to have my little boy cross the line with me but after thinking for most of the week before the race that he wouldn't even be there in the end the decision was really easy.

Anyway...here's my (long) race report

My parents live near Bridport so we drove down on the Friday afternoon to stay with them. The whole family descended en masse to Sherborne on the Saturday morning to register in the p*ssing rain. What fun. I had a large bag with me with all my race gear in but by the time I had sorted it and transferred it into the blue and red bags under a tree near the loos, it was all pretty damp. I also spent 10 minutes rechecking the Registration pack for the Special Needs bags before some kindly chap explained that you have to use your own Rolling Eyes I ummed and erred for a while about whether to pack the Gore gilet and arm warmers in the bike bag but I was really glad I did! I also put a second spare inner tube (an old patched one) into my bike special needs bag as I knew that the rain would cause havoc from the UK Etape I did in July (where, yet again this summer, there was biblical rain and hundreds of punctures).

We then went home where I watched gloomily as the rain continued to pour and I drove everyone mad watching the weather channel on BBCi.

Race morning, having slept really well (though not for long enough), we were up and away by 03.45 after a big bowl of porridge. Got to T0 and regretted for about the 453rd race that I had not brought a black marker pen with me to do my own # as the queues were endless...then into the water at 05.55, handshake from a nice enthusiastic chap at the water's edge who was keen to wish me a good race (thanks!) and easy swim over to the start, where we waited. and waited. etc Maybe it is the extra padding but I was never too cold. Finally a rather pathetic hooter went (could we have a whip round for a cannon for next year?!) and we were off. I was up to the white turn buoy in 15 minutes (I probably lost a minute in checking my HR and time around the course but I was determined not to redline at any point). Each half lap was exactly the same and HR seemed to be about 145-153 so that was OK. But I was unable to find any feet (too dark) and I had to do some serious kicking at times to get rid of unwanted drafters who kept getting too close.

I got to the water's edge in 63 mins exactly, but my legs would not work so I had to roll like a beached whale onto the mat whilst the helpers got me standing. Then a gentle squelch into the tent for a very lazy transition, but this was my first (and according to Mrs F my only) IM and I wanted to finish more than anything else. So on with bike shorts (over tri shorts) gloves, arm warmers, socks, shoes, and I stuffed my tri top with spare inner tube #2 (one already on bike), gas canisters and more gels, then off.

I am not the world's greatest cyclist but was determined to enjoy this as I knew I had done the training. Per Towel's advice I sat in the small chainring (and I have a compact on the road bike I used) up to the start of the first lap proper, then stayed in that all the way to the top of Lyon's Gate. After that it was downhill, feeling really easy, having to keep my HR in check, down on the clip on tri bars for a bit. All too soon we were at Dorchester and the turn point, and then I realised why it had felt easy. The headwind was appalling as we turned back north! I tried to keep the HR at around 140 but "it should feel too easy on lap 1" only really means something if you have a previous IM to compare it to. Eventually onto the second lap and by now the crowd at the top of Lyon's Gate was awesome. Thanks again to all of you poor souls who stuck it out there, really appreciated.

The hills were much worse second time round northbound. My average speed was dropping slowly but surely which means I had gone out too quick on lap 1 I think. I stopped at the special needs station for my secret weapon #1 - Malt Loaf and ripe banana (the green things they claimed to be bananas are HORRIBLE - I need them to have brown spots on!)Mmmmmm

Finally I started to count off the climbs on the north bound part of lap 3, heading for T2. Just at the top of the Giant's Head I went past a TT'er who identified herself as Pookey. She was very despondent as she was sure she would miss the cutoff (she was on lap 2 with 2h 45 to the cutoff). I told her to keep going, that the wind was dropping (well, it was a bit) and that she could definitely make it and I was really pleased to find out that she did indeed do that.

Into T2 in a crack over 7h 30 with a 6h25 bike split and very pleased too in those conditions. Opened up my run back and devoured secret weapon # 2 - Mini Cheddars, the Food of Champions (TM) Then on with the shoes, off with the bike shorts and arm warmers and gloves, empty pockets of various cr*p accumulated (wrappers, inner tubes etc), fresh socks (TOP tip for MOPs like me - real mental lift after the mizzle on lap 3 of the bike left my feet wet). I have never suffered with jelly legs in triathlons of any distance, mainly I suspect because I am such a lousy cyclist, but also because I have a naturally high running cadence.

So far so good - knocked out the first 8 miles in about 64 minutes at my gentle long run pace and felt strong. Started to have dreams of sub 11! Then onto the A30 and the reality of IM racing struck. Within a mile of hitting the A30 my guts went into meltdown, my adductors (groin) cramped really badly and shortly after that I bonked completely. I had hoped to run the whole marathon but it was not to be; but I remembered the advice to "keep moving" so walked the uphills and jogged down, trying to get as much Pepsi down me as possible. Finally at the second end turn point on the A30 a Rotarian told me "7 miles to go" and I knew then that it would be OK. Within yards my cadence went up and I was running properly again. The last 4 miles were a blur and I think I ran them in just over 30 minutes Shocked

At last up the steps (WTF) into town and through the castle gates, and the loudspeakers are audible. If I could bottle the feeling coming round the barriers to climb the grass up to the castle, I'd be very wealthy indeed. There at the turn was Charlotte and Oly who apparently had been shouting "daddy" for 8 hours. I grabbed him and carried him round the corner onto the red mat where I plonked him down and we ran together over the line. 3h50 odd for the marathon, and 11h 37 and a bit for my first IM and I was absolutely chuffed to bits.

That pizza afterwards was fantastic.

Would I do another? Probably not next year (the time to train is really not fair on a young family), and certainly not at Sherborne. That is absolutely NOT because I don't like it, it's just I have done it twice now (as HIM in 2004 and IM2007) and I would want a different challenge next time. I will never be a FOP IM racer as (a) I don't ever see me having that much time to make that happen and (b) even if I did have the time, the bike (which is my weakest leg) is such a significant part of IM racing that I am always at a disadvantage relative to Oly and HIM races. But I think that with a bit of nutritional tweaks I could do myself more justice in the marathon (I'm sure a sub 3h 30 marathon would be on with a flatter run course) and maybe tilt at sub 11 hours. IMCH 2009? Maybe!

OK you can all wake up now.

Thanks again for all of your kind comments over the weekend and for the fantastic support out on the course.

Frosty
Tiggywinkle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Frosty.
Got yet another lump in my throat... well done for pulling together after an already emotional week. You did great Smile
Freddie

[/url]
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty -

Well done, Ironman!

I know what you mean about those bananas. Mad

Excellent time, glad that it came together well for you.

B Cool
Legs of Jelly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done frosty on completing an Ironman!! Cool

Tigger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Frosty. You looked good on the bike as you went by me.
p00key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Frosty and thanks for the words of encouragement
dr dre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - I stopped at the brown banana bit Shocked YUK
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey buddy. nice report. doing 11h37 is good. on this course its very good. on that day its even better. but for your first IM too - awesome. you'll fly on one of the faster euro courses.

Own up time: Did some berk about clean up you and your kid on the finish line? Embarassed I was wheeling about going from side to side, and kinda caught you up all of a sudden. Yup, tas me. (guilty icon)

So i unintentionally beat you by 1 second on the prov results Very Happy . I remember you quite easily, as your suit said Frost on the back. I was in LincolnTri red/black kit, run/walkin the whole of the blinkin run as i was under par due to having a cold, great fun . Sad
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
e-j

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Frosty, I'm glad it came off for you considering the rough time you've had recently. another blooming lump in my throat.... must stop reading these race reports. Rolling Eyes
frosty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Own up time: Did some berk about clean up you and your kid on the finish line? Embarassed I was wheeling about going from side to side, and kinda caught you up all of a sudden. Yup, tas me. (guilty icon)

So i unintentionally beat you by 1 second on the prov results

Yes, some muppet wearing John Lennon glasses nearly wiped me out as I was crouched to hold my boy's hand over the line. You must be chuffed to bits to have outsprinted a 20 month old Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

No worries TBH - I was just so pleased to have finished - and it's hardly like either of us was challenging for a Kona slot.....
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sorry m8, like i said, it wasnt really intentional, there had been a reasonable gap to the next competitor in front of me when i started my antics, so i came across you by surprise on the line as i wheeled off the last side . hindsight i'd have held right back, or done 10 pressups to be a show off etc Smile

instead i felt like a real tw*at, and blobbed me own finishers photo too. just bad timing i spose. couldnt your kid run any faster, as his dad didnt seem to do so bad in the race:roll: . you beat me buddy. Cool shame we werent both just in the top 300 but good placings anyway.
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
OB1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a photo of you in the run Frosty? What were you wearing?

Trying to work out who passed me at the Yeovil turn and told me to get running - I think I ran close to him most of the way back. I finished in 11:38, so wondering if it was you. Don't think it was Toyota Crown, although could have been! It's all a blur!
frosty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No photos as yet as the camera is playing up, but I was wearing a red and white tri top with "Frost" splashed across the front and ar*e so I think you'd have known it was me! Toyota Crown was unmistakable though with some natty square John Lennon glasses. Met and walked with Wiganer who assured me that TC is completely nuts Very Happy
whitty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats m8.

I think I saw you on the run now and again with frost on your but.

Glad you decided to race.

Rob
Paul L

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort given the circumstances, hope everything works out well at home. Take care, Paul. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: