Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wiganers Vitruvian Report......
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiganer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Wiganers Vitruvian Report...... Reply with quote

Well that was one heck of a day.........pushed myself to the edge today and it hurt, but at the end of the day.....WHAT AN EVENT !!!!

Due to my domestic situation that changed during the week (meaning I was on baby sitting duties - end of !!!), it meant that to race today, I needed to get up at 1.30am and be on the deserted roads by 2am to drive the 140 miles to Rutland. It was a tough call, but the prestige of the race and the fact that it was originally intended as my A race meant that I thought I would give it a crack.

So, I went to bed at 9pm, but didnt sleep much more than 2hrs or so before I was awoken at 1.30am with the beep beep.......strangely enough I felt quite alive and awake, but was finding it hard to get really motivated for the race itself....

Anyway I was soon on the M6, after a coffee and then on to the A50 across towards the M1. The roads were clear and I razzed it across to Leicestershire quite easily. The roads from the M1 to Rutland were deserted and quite eerie at that time in the morning and I arrived at a dark (and by dark I mean real dark) Rutland Water. I then played comedy walk-in-the-dark across the carpark towards registration and got marked up with my "G" before meeting up with Endorphine Junkie and Barnetrose for a welcome brew (cheers !).

I then re-traced my steps back to the car and again, I was awake but couldnt equate to actually racing yet......not a good sign and as it turned out, quite an indicator really.....

Arrived in transition and got things sorted. I have to say I was immensely impressed by the organisation and set up of the race. It was fantastic and really did knock spots off other races I could mention........Managed to grab a few words with The Rofster, pjbev and smiler666 along with fatirishman........and then off to the race brief where the TT Fans were assembled along with other racers.....AndyS and Towel......now it was time to race.

SWIM
The lake was warm compared to Sherborne, but the start was awful for me.....got about 400m into it and couldnt breathe or get going at all.....was thinking for the first time of pulling out if it continued, but luckily I seemed to find some rhythm after the first lap.....out, scraping my feet on all the rocks before completing the second lap.....

44mins 07secs - was hoping to go faster (but dont we all !!)

BIKE
This was the main leg today for me......I wanted to prove a point and lay some of those IMUK demons....I needed to lay down a good time (relatively of course)...and needed to break 2.45 for my own piece of mind. I span up every hill and hammered the downhills and just kept a great pace on the flats...It all went perfectly for one and three quarter laps before the tank emptied....I dropped a bottle at the end of lap one which wasted some time, but that was the only downer...Saw Craig7 flying past on his way and the top chap paused to say hello.....cheers mate and great kit/bike !!!!

2hrs 41mins 24secs (absolutely chuffed)

RUN
I knew it was game over as soon as I jumped off the bike....although I had eaten energy bars and taken gels and nuun/water there was simply nothing at all in the tank.....it was going to hurt and take me to the edge and I wanted to pull out there and then, but something deep inside me made me carry on. I have no idea what it was, but it was there at mile 11 at IMUK. I started the lap by collecting 2 cups of water and chucking them at the TT Fans (particularly TonyP and Slacko) to see if that would cheer me up and it did.....set off with the encouragement of Mrs Spike (what a legend she is and a complete darling !!!! Very Happy )....Anyway, I have never felt like that on the first lap...ever. Truly horrid, just nothing there at all and stomach and intercostal muscles screaming at me to stop....Got myself to the turn at Normanton Church (somehow) and decided if I could get back to Transition, I would call it a day......Saw loads of TTers on the course who all encouraged me beyond belief....thanks all who offered me any encouragement it all helped. Trundled past the tramps in the park (Paul L and Dre who were ringing their bells and supping their special brew) and gave them the "I am dead" look......came back to the end of the first lap and saw Young Gun....I shouted at him to give me something to get me on that second lap...he said he had something and would let me know when I got back to him...so I decided to carry on.....picked up 2 more cups and wazzed em at the TT Crowd again and came back to Young Gun....." Have you taken enough calories" was all he said.....so I decided to hit the gels big time with the bananas...it didnt work. I really toughed out that second lap with lots of walking......somehow got round and pushed it through to the end before collapsing literally into the arms of woody70 who was there to meet me at the line with some water (thanks mate saved my life...)....I was so proud that I went through that run. It was horrible, truly horrible, but I didnt quit (still dont know why I didnt )

2hrs 20mins 17secs

Pleased with my transitions (2.38 and 1.45), delighted with my bike, happy with my swim and gutted about my run is how I would sum it all up.

5hrs 50mins 17secs

Looking back now, there is no way I had recovered from IMUK in time and the 1.30am start to the day made sure that I was a corpse on that run, but that does not detract from the fact that I nailed it.

Season Over....one hell of a proud man sat here when I read my race results from this year.....very tired now but a Vitruvian none the less !
dr dre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude - BIG round of applause on what has to be one of the craziest first seasons in triathlon I have seen. ( in extensive 4 yrs Very Happy )

ONWARDS
younggun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiganers Vitruvian Report...... Reply with quote

Awesome work dude. CoolCool

wiganer wrote:
Looking back now, there is no way I had recovered from IMUK in time
Yeah, 3 weeks is not really enough... so you did bloody great all things considered.

You actually looked serene (!) on the run - I'll get my pictures up soon so you can see what I mean.
TonyP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your running today was about as good as your water throwing - rubbish!! Wink

Well done for sticking with it big fella and losing to Rofster as I had a fiver on him to beat you. Very Happy

Now go and rest you big oaf.
tailender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Wiganer. Good to see you out on the run. Can't believe you and others did this so close to IMUK.
Towel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim: Its called a panic attack mate...get used to them

Bike: Yes, need a little more time after an ironman to be firing again

Run: Yes, you need food and water and because the pace is faster, its just as tough as an ironman.

Sleep well fella.
doug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to run into you again !

PM me if you want a 1600x1200 version...
Towel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you zoom in on that bird's ass?
tweenster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to meet you at last after all the banter of the last few months. I must have passed you on the bike but I don't recall seeing you. You seemed quite full of beans on lap 1 of the run when you tried to rugby tackle me but on lap 2 you seemed a bit lifeless and the spark had certainly diminished. Well done for finishing though.

I now realise that you didn't kick my @r$e at the end because you didn't have any energy left. Time to rest and recover now.
doug

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel wrote:

Sorry - there's still a bit of Wiganer's elbow in the frame Very Happy

PIE8R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done....not the best prep for the race I bet....I couldn't see me driving down the Motorway at 1:30 am, probably wouldn't have gone if that had happened to me....top first year....who knows what you can do next year....
Julius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done wiganer, you were still smiling even though you were not feeling that great. Cool
Towel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers
ed_m

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
Towel wrote:

Sorry - there's still a bit of Wiganer's elbow in the frame Very Happy

good effort.

and you too wiganer.
Slacko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for nutting it out mate, if Rofster ran past you you must have been suffering! Wink

A great first season, learn from the good & bad and come back stronger next season!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: