Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Rofster, at the Vit...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rofster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: The Rofster, at the Vit... Reply with quote

Okay, I suppose it's my turn to jabber on about my "experiences" yesterday!

This event was my main event for the year. I've been looking forward to this for what's seems like a lifetime and was convinced that this distance would also suit me more.

So, Friday I was a bit peed off TBH. I felt really groggy, my left ankle had a niggle through sitting on my clutch in too many hours of endless traffic that week, my knee was sore and I'd woejn up Thursday with awful cramp in my left calf that I could still feel. So, my thoughts on the race were just do what I can but I was 100% expecting to collapse on the run with a bad ankle and an exploded calf. This, as Sheila P will tell you lead to a very nervous looking Rofster at the start! Very Happy Quite simply, this race was everything really, the climax to a pretty p00 year Wink

My plan quite simply was 6hrs. 40min swim, 3hr bike, 2:15 run. If I got that, I'd be well chuffed.

Anyhw, alarm at 4:15, pack up the car, pile Mrs R into the car and head off to Rutland.

I'd done the Dambuster and registered the day before so I knew my way around and headed straight to my racking point and laid all my bits and bobbins out. I'd noticed Wiggies stuff was already there and he wasn't but just as I'd finished I spotted him and headed over for a chat. What a nice guy! (which surprised me Wink) also met fatirishman and someone else, but I'd started to pap it a bit by then. Had a nice chat with IHS as well at teh swim start and met Mr & Mrs P at long last. Tony is actually smaller than I expected.

Wetty on and into the water (which was really nice). Hooter went and I felt awful. I'd started on the left as I did at the Dambuster but couldn't get any air. It seemed every time I came up for a breath there was purely water ther so I couldnt get comfortable. Tried breathing to the other side and the same! I had to lift up and take a few breaths a couple of times, whic isn't like me as I may not be quick but I'm confident usually. past the first bouy and it all settled down. I had a lovely swim back to the end of lap 1 and flet great. I LOVE this 2 lap thing! that was fun running in and just diving, that gave the kid in me a big grin Very Happy swam a further 20 metres and heard the dreaded sound of the next wave starting! wel, I got another minute before I was engulfed with Red caps. Were these to old guys? anyhow, whoever they were they weren't too friendly so I had to exchange a few whacks Rolling Eyes but again after first bouy all settled down nicely. Got out of water, saw Mrs R with teh Slacko's give me a big wave and headed off into T1

Swim: 39:04 happy, didn't feel tired and had had a difficult time Very Happy

The bike TBH felt overly weird. I was spinning along far too easily and then noticed I was in my small ring Rolling Eyes so changed up and my chain came off Rolling Eyes got it backon and set off properly this time. Looking down I was noticing that I had already got to my 18mph target Av and i didn't feel like I was actualy peddling. I'm much more used to going for it and it took quite a bit for me to hold back a little. hit the Ripple the first time and at the end of the first hill I was passed by the Tritalk car transfering The Slackos and Mrs R to the top of the 2nd hill. Got to the top of that and the support was great. I felt great as well. I must be getting stronger as back in June I struggled up here on my Stealth but this time all 3 hills felt quite easy. I again held back a bit and made sure that the first lap was nice and steady. Ate plenty, too my gels and relaxed a bit. The words of a very wise man kept going through my head "relax and pace yourself. If anyone passes you you'll either see them again later or they're just better than you" it worked (I hate to say, as I think that was IHS). Lap 2 hurt more but again felt okay. About half way round my back started to creak a bit and I was feeling uncomfortable to say the least but I knew I would be running pretty soon and for that I was welcome, which is a weird thing for me to say at the best of times. Second lap was uneventful really, my back hurt and I was a bit slower than I would have liked but felt pretty good TBH and very surprisingly.

Bike: 2:48:57 10 mins faster than planned, another Very Happy

T2 was nice and easy and then headed out on the run. Again some fantastic support out there. I'm not sure if it's the more leaisurely pace but I found running off this distance MUCH easier than Olympic distances and again surprisingly settled into my mincing shuffle quite easily. All I kep saying to myself was "keep it smooth, take your time, no point in banging it now you've 13 miles to get round yet you big oaf" anyhow I lasted quite a while until I had to have a little break Wink sorry, I mean I'd planned to walk a couple of feed stations, just to keep myself nice and relaxed and take on plenty of water as this was something that'd ruined a couple of earlier races for me. So I got a drink at aid station 1 walked a few yards and headedoff again. The run was a lot harder mentall than I had expected. I knew some of the course but seeing that church "right round there" when your heading for the dam did kinda bring ohme what you were doing. Anyhow, once over the dam it got a little worse again, mentally, as the turnaround was further away than I'd expected so I had to keep on going. My legs felt okay it was the lack of confidence I was struggling with a bit. EVENTUALLY! the turnaround, more water, another little walk and off again. I was feeing better now as my thought process was now to break the remainder down into little chunks. I knew that if I ran back over the dam I could again take on water, then only a few minutes later the superb TT support crew would give me a lift at the half way point. Unfortuantely I now had something else to think about, a big P00 that was just not gonna go away Very Happy I managed to rather uncomfortably make it to the portaloo's on the other side of the dam and had to queue Rolling Eyes popped in and mixed this stop with taking on some water and gels, re dressed (not easy when knackered and wearing a 1 piece tri suit!) and set off again.

As I had suspected I reached the half way point and got a great lift from the support there. The TTers were fantastic, but teh grin I got from Mrs R was enough to keep me going Wink I also remembered something that IHS had said to me before the race
[quote:himofultimatewisdom]You'll have one really bad moment in the race, that'll be at the last half an hour, oh sorry, I mean the subsequent half an hour before than[/quote]. Oh, about now then, OUCH!!!!!

I was starting to get a little tired now. Apparently Towel's apparently lovely OH ( I didn't get to meet her, obviously they'd well and truly headed off by the time I finished) had said to Mrs R, "he looks like his back is hurting now" actualy it was my legs, I always run like that Wink

Anyhow, the rest of the second lap was just purely painful. My knee was seizing up a bit, but mainly my legs were just giving up the ghost. I kept going as much as I could but made sure I finished by just taking small wlk breaks to recover and then running again. One thing that also kept me going "again" was IHS. the sight of him passing me in the opposite direction in full Man Bra made me giggle to myself for a couple of miles at least. It had ridden up nicely to that "2 inches above belly button" point, siply gorgeous Very Happy gave him a good high 5 and got some good encouragement. I think I encouraged him as he now knew he wasn't the TTer with the worst running style.

Again more torture and I was hanging on for the church turnaround. This time it came strangely sooner than before, maybe because I had more to think about, like my legs, knees, arms, chest, dizzy head etc etc. I did however have one strange thought! Where was Wiggy? we had passed a few times on the run and high 5'd (he got past me on te bike when I stopped for a wee!!!! cheeky boy) I turned around there he was 20 yds up the road. I tried to give him a lift but he just said he had nothing left. I really felt for him as I know how much he likes and deserves to succeed, but reckon 3 weeks after IMUK and a 1:30 start is just too much. I woulnd't even want to think about it. But, that said, I was past him so there, love and war and all that!! Wink nana na na nana.

Back across the dam and it was pain but adrenaline time. That bit between the Dam and Paul & Dre was torture! pure torture, anyhow the TT faithfull PaulL and Dre gave me a great reception tha treally spurred me on. I then caught up DAB and had a chat with him. We;'d spoken briefly on the bike and he was looking forward to a nice flat Florida race. I tried to give him a lift but it must have been the adrenalin, I ran off and he didn't stay with me Shocked, then I got to the 1Km marker and the gay part of my race started. I realised I was going to be well within my 6hour goal, but just outside 5:45 and I kinda lost it a bit. I got all emotional and started bawling! WTF! this is all okay in my eyes as I said this race was jsut everything to me this year but it meant I was hyperventilating so I had to have a word with myself and calm down again Rolling Eyes

I ran the last 1Km feeling pretty good but nothing could prepare me for the finish. I knew from coming round the corner that I had noone anywhere near me so had the finish to myself. Once I got in sight all I could hear was teh TTers at the finish and that gave me the last bit of enery to at least do a quick shuffle. The noise was amazing and I got all the high5 hand and crossed the line with a massive grin on my face Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and it's still there.

Run: 2:13:54 again, inside my target!!!

Total: 5:46:27 Very Happy

I'm feeling okay today. A lot better than I thuoght I would anyway. I have a couple of litte twinges and I could sleep until Wednesday, but I feel good. In myself as well as pyhsically.

Now, my time isn't gonna exactly scare Mr Towel, and watching some of those faster guys out there was scary at the pace they were running but I'm proud of what I did anbd definately know where I need to work!!

To others. All the TTers that supported THANKYOU I know a few of you have raced and do know how much the support means and it really does. I think that hearing people cheer for you gives you that extra little lift you really do need at this level.

I can't believe how many great people are involved in this sport, it's a pleasure to be a part of. I think PaulL sums it up, in most sorts if this guy had the bad luck he's had he would have sat at home and sulked, but Paul, no, sitting there all day shouting and supporting. Mr L, you are a true gent sir :bowing smiley: The other guys are superb, always a pleasure to see Mrs and Mrs Slacko (loving that hair Missus), Wiggy it was an honour, always great to see the Strides (Steph, it was the new bike remember Wink) Tony P and Sheila are really nice and Tony shorter than I imagined Very Happy Sheila, thanks for the AD, it was fantastic. I just couldn't manage anymore of it but I ate loads!! Great ot meet, Ed, fatirishman, Woody, P00key, DAB and many many more head still a bit fuzzy). Thanks mostly to Mrs Rofster, bad back for 6 weeks, got up at 4:15 and joined in all day and been in bed feeling awful since Sad thanks luv, your a star Wink

What a great race, loved every minute of it!! This is deffo my distance, I enjoyed this race more than any other this season but I've really enjoyed this season. I've learnt soooooooooooo much, made some great friends and feel I really have achieved something. This time last year I had just stopped smoking 20 fags a day and drinking about 60+ pints a week (really). I'd just done my first pool sprint, and now a year later I'm a Vitruvian...

Get in there!! Very Happy

Even if the result is not what you expected, just wake up and do it again...
TonyP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ignore both of your shorty comments as I am so much better looking than you. Wink (How comes Towel and EJ don't get this stick as they're shorter Confused )

Mate your face near the end was a picture of a man in pain but clearly exhilerated by what you had just achieved. It was a joy to witness - hope I'm in shape next year to share that with you albeit several minutes ahead I hope!!

I will defo buy you a proper beer when we meet next time. Well done big fella for a great performance. Glad you enjoyed the Angel Delight that I made at 4am. Shocked Hope the gorgeous Mrs Rofster heals strong too. (you never officially introduced her so don't know her name-poor excuse I know but that's all I have).

Rest well.
Rofster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tony, I now you whisked it, but you know how it is Wink

Mrs R's name is Chantelle. She's not in a godo way today, I'd better make a nice dinner tonight I think

Even if the result is not what you expected, just wake up and do it again...
Towel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not shorter than you Tony....

Paul, great effort reading that makes me realise that i gave the race no respect yesterday.

Beers the night before, no breakfast and did the whole race on one water bottle and a gel...as well as a few swigs of water from the feed stations.

But after doing IMUK i have done a sprint tri, which felt like a sprint..and the Vit, which also felt like a sprint.

And i wonder why i suffered on the last 3k.
newarktricky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Rofster,

Don't forget to update your signature with your time from the Vit - wear it with pride! You have done fantastic in the last year.

NT
TonyP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towel wrote:
I'm not shorter than you Tony....

Oh yes you are..and so on...and so forth. Nana

(Okay maybe the same height in your heels)
tailender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Rof and well done on a great performance yesterday. Hope the missus is better real soon. Recover well both of you.
TonyP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rofster wrote:
She's not in a godo way today

Standing for 8 hours is not godo for the back - I know as mine is in bits today. Why couldn't you run faster you swine. Wink

Remember YG's TT's coming up - be good to meet up for lunch and beer.
SheilaP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate. It was great to meet you at last. Your smile at the end was fantastic and summed the day up. Lovely to meet Mrs R as well (Tony particularly enjoyed that. Wink ) I hope her back is feeling better soon.

As for the AD - I promise I'll bring you some to every event you are in that I spectate at, it seems like a good tradition to start. (You never did show me your "special whisk" - did you forget to bring it?)Very Happy
Julius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report rofster, pleased it went so well for you
p00key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grear report well done hope Chantelle's feels better soon and she gets her back problem sorted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: