Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Vitruvian RR - its long but its my first so there.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertquantrell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Vitruvian RR - its long but its my first so there..... Reply with quote

Wow, what an event,

It was my first HIM and my first contact with many of the TT'ers in person. All i can say is, I'm so glad to be part of this 'informal' team, a bunch of great people all.

The event started on Friday night with a meetup at the pub. Chatting with people definitely eased the nerves that were eating away at my stomach (sorry Youngun for banging on all night about thresholds, SRM’s and Coggan!!)

Back to the Lodge to build the bike (yes it was still in pieces from the flight) and get some sleep. Set the alarm for 4am and felt really good, excited even. That was until the alarm went off and I started to get ready. Having declined to buy the lodges special breakfast packs (£4.50 for a 2microgram portion of cornflakes and a cereal bar) I chewed on 2 Clif bars whilst alternating between filling my bottles and filling the toilet,

Load thecar, silent drive up to the site and into transition at about 5.15,
Very grateful for the floodlights (it was funny walking through the dark carpark, all you could hear were freewheeling hub noises as people pushed their bikes along), briefly bumped in nelsonPK and said goodluck, he looked pretty focused,

Racked my bike at the far end, and seemed to be surrounded by what looked like Tim Dons training partners…carbon everywhere…note to self – buy something gorgeous for next year..

Amazingly still no nerves? All week I had fought rising nausea each time I logged on to TT or looked at the race info, and yet here I was and I felt……..good, excited even.

Saw Endorphine Junkie (Tim) in the Q for the loos, he looked steady as a rock so I tried to draw some strength off him, didnt work.......

laid out the transition stuff (how IS it that we have so much stuff!!) and got the wetsuit on in time for the race briefing.

Waved Nicola off in the teams wave and got in the water to get ready for the 30-34 AG start at 6.40ish....

I didnt want to get into a scrum so hung back as we kicked off, no real problems for the first 200m, bit of baywatch paddle to sight and the head down after getting some clear water. Some dooooofus swims across me at right angles and i swim into his hip, slightly dislodging my goggles, but thankfully no water gets in.

First bouy reached quite quickly, took a wide line and after that it was all plain sailing really. In fact I loved it. I really felt I could swim all day and part of me wanted to just swim round and round!

First lap glanced at my watch as saw 15 minutes something, very happy with that. Hobbled over the gravel (Ouch!!) and back in for lap 2

Some time during this lap I started swimming past the backmarkers for the 35-39 AG. This spurred me on even more and I started to get into a groove,

too soon I came out of the water with 32:XX showing on my watch and hobbled up the slope to T1:

Swim - 33.13

Into T1, wetsuit off, gloves on, socks on, shoes on, toolkit in pocket, gels in pocket, helmet on, glasses on.......god almighty it felt like i was taking ages, SO much faffing.

T1 - 2.49

The bike started ok, Gordo's mantra was jumping around my skull (easy, HR down, easy HR down etc etc), so I stayed in the small ring for the first section into the wind and was pleased to see I was holding station with most people. A few pointy heads came past me, no bother. Turned into the second section up to the ripple and remembered Herr Strides advice to bang it into the lowest gear and spin like a crazy,

It worked!! stayed in touch with the people around me and crested the hill with great support from the TT grandstand! Thanks guys!!

Down onto the bars for the fast A47 section, holding nice and steady at 40kph, HR down, feeling like I was making up some time from the slower first sections,

I turned back north and felt strong all the way back for the end of the first lap, glanced at the watch to see roughly 1.52ish. Sub 2.40 for the bike looked good at this point,

great support at transition from Newarktricky and many others as we headed back onto the course,

more cyclists out there now and more passing (not easy with the lorries!) and being passed by the pointyheads, legs still felt good and spun (ok ground) up the ripple the second time. The TT crew had swelled and the support was great, i briefly stood up out of the saddle and swiftly sat down again as my legs cramped!!

I really cant state how much of a boost it was to have a mini crowd at the top. It totally took my mind off the climb. I was just focused on getting to the top and looking pro!!

I knew the race would bite back sometime as it had gone so well so far and sure enough I really started to feel it over the last 25km, my a**e hurt like hell and legs started to stiffen.. I knew I could get under 2.40 if i pushed but all i could think was (21km run, 21km run, 21km run), legs were seizing up if I got out of the saddle but my backside hurt when I sat down…..

The last section to Whitwell felt slow and dragged on a bit. Once again Herr Stride was bang on when he said the surface wasn't great and psychologically was a hard section (he really does know what he's talking about!!). Endorphine Junkie and I had a good back and forth on this part, I would pass him on the flats and he would re-pass on the hills, at one point turning around with the gem:

"this is a hill Rob, do you know what they are?" ( I live in Holland so no Tim I don't!!)

I think I passed Steph Stride just before the end (Stealth with PX50’s?), and Tim and I came into T2 together. Didnt look at the watch, but was thinking around 2.40ish,

Bike - 2.40

off the bike and legs felt good, much better than I expected, dumped my kit, more faffing, loads of cheers from TT'ers in the gallery, gel belt on etc etc etc. God it takes so long!

T2 - 1.17

Finally onto the run now and legs felt ok, not too bad, saw YG (who took a photo) which gave me a lift as did the lovely lady with short black hair who screamed "GO TriTalk!!" everytime one of us passed her, you were awesome thank you...

Resisted the urge to look at the watch and start doing maths. Wait till the second lap I told myself,

Had to stop for a wee and got passed by M. Stride, great I thought, THE man with the razor wit on TT meets me for the first time and I'm hunched over like a pensioner trying to wrestle mr wiggly out of the chamois pad, and trying manfully not to piss all over my race number and gel belt.....but to his credit he said nothing cutting, a simple "catch me up" and off he floated to be my hare about 50m in front....

Towel ran past me (yes, ran, not shuffled like most other people who passed me) and all I could blurt out was "Go Towel!"....he swiftly moved to the other side of the road, as did my running companions around me at the time….anything to escape the tourettes sufferer in their midst as i blurted "Go TT!" or "Go Woody!" to people as they passed

Tim was running strongly ("Go Endorphine Junkie!") and I knew if he could run about 1.35ish he would break 5 hrs, as at this point I had caved in and looked at the watch to see that I had to run a 1.45 to break 5hrs…

Running through transition was great, usually the worst part of a lap is the turn around to head back out, but with all the support it was fantastic! Picture from YG:

Shuffling back to the final turn with the legs starting to go numb and with 33mins to run the final lap, I knew sub 5 was in the bag. I had stopped myself from thinking about the time all day but now felt so happy and tired at the same time. In the preceeding weeks before the race I had sub 5.30 as a target. Something solid I could be proud of.

Secretly I had sub 5 as my goal. But without the experience of racing so long I convinced myself to put it to the back of my mind and just pace myself around the course, and whatever time it takes, well that’s the time you get…

Some hard charging rhino from Bedford tri paced me all the way back home at a perfect “hurting but not breathing through my ring” pace and I felt so guilty when I asked him about 3km from the end "when shall we hammer it mate?" and he looked at me sideways and told me he had another lap to do…..ooops....sorry!

Relaxed into the final km’s as I knew I had done it, picked up the pace for the final 100m (showoff) and heard my name over the PA and suddenly felt a bit conspicuous in my super tight lycra suit with everyone watching in normal clothes!!

That is until M Stride patted me on the a**e and said well done. Suddenly I felt ok again!!

Run – 1.39

Final time – 4:56.29

Thoughts?

-A great race, and an ideal first HIM. Not having any experience of big UK events, I didn’t know what to expect. On the strength of Saturday, I will definitely be back next year

-Having said that, one of the main reasons I will be coming back next year is the TT community. Although I couldn’t stay afterwards and missed the TT crew at the finish as I had to find my GF and relay team, it was great to feel part of a team and meet some great people. Lets make this a TriTalk race for years to come!

-I was so happy with the way I “executed my race plan” as the yanks would say. I really believed I could go sub 5 in my heart of hearts, but none of the maths I did pre race would tally up. They all said 5.10-5.20 based on long bricks, long rides and swims in training……

-Big lesson learned – training aint racing. Trust yourself as an athlete and as a competitor. I never realised the effect of “race day adrenaline” on performance.

-I would like to go faster next year (who wouldn’t). I will be interested to see the effects of doubling the time I have ridden a bike (started june ’06) has out on the course.

Finally a big thank you to everyone who supported, raced and marshaled. Without you all it would have been really horrible at points!!!

Cheers!!!

Rob
Julius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh mate, what a result!

Well done, I think we had a similar Gordo/iheartspeedos mantra running round our heads

I too was hoping for a sub 5 but missed by 7 mins Mad

It's fired me up for this winters training Twisted Evil

Enjoyed the report, sub 10 IM next for you then?
tweenster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vitruvian RR - its long but its my first so there..... Reply with quote

robertquantrell wrote:
That is until M Stride patted me on the a**e and said well done. Suddenly I felt ok again!!

IHS must have been lurking at the finish for a while as he was the first person that came up to me to ask if I was OK. I think I mumbled something incoherent through a moutful of half-eaten jaffa cake.

Good report Rob and an excellent race. Sub 5 in your first HIM is no mean achievement - I've done 5 now and haven't managed it yet!
e-j

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent report Rob, although I think you fancy me Razz - how many times did you refer to me Shocked Blushes Very Happy

Great to meet you (and your team). If it wasn't for you shouting to me at the end of the bike that I had the potential to go sub 5 I probably wouldn't have realised until too late. Unfortunately I missed by 2 mins, but congrats on hitting your target.

I'll get you next year though mate Twisted Evil
tailender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Rob. Great report and excellent race.
younggun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race Rob and nice meeting you - first time I've met someone more interested in training theory than me. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Nelson PK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Rob. Great to meet you on Friday at the pub and good on you for having such a fun race.

You just need to find some hills to practice on now !!

PK
woody70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race Rob. Given your fantastic run I would think, in comparison, there should be some more to come with a bit more work on the bike, that would give you more power for the hills and leave you with stronger legs for the run, so I would think there might be a fair bit there.

I wouldn't worry about those skinny guys ( EJ ) on the hills, as blokes with a proper build, we are always going to be at a slight disadvantage going up hill, but there are more flats and downs in a race than up's where momentum and power pay back!

Maybe putting the bike together before midnight on the night before the race might also help.

Good to see you at the Fox and Hounds. Thanks for all your support during the run, much appreciated.
robertquantrell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, thanks for your kind words......feels a lot more special to share it...

Julius (or Vegan Power, or Vegan powers genetically identical twin), I know what you mean about the IHS/Gordo thing (perhaps they are the same person? I mean, have you ever seen them in a room together? No, i thought not...)

Sub 10 for the bike and run at IMA would be nice!!!!

(YG - i cant believe i have been spending so much time looking at SRM's on Ebay. Its your fault you know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: