Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Heart rate training zones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Heart rate training zones Reply with quote

If my Max HR is around the 180 - 185 mark, what sort of level should my heart rate be at for endurance workouts (either as a percentage or a figure)? Will this differ for each sport as I find it much harder to get my heart rate up in the pool or on the bike than running?

The reason I'm asking is I'm putting together my training plan for the next three months, the majority of which will be designed to give me a solid endurance base to build on, and I want to know the sort of intensity to work at. I'm kind of using parts of Joe Friels "Triathletes Training Bible" where it gives very detailed HR training levels but based on something called your lactate threshold heart rate, rather than your max hr. This lactate threshold hr is quite complex to identify it and is still quite subjective measure (at least as subjective as max hr anyway) - so I would rather base mine on max hr as it is far simpler.

Any help would be much appreciated.
not_connor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i belive it should be in the area of 121 to 126
but best tip is if you can talk while running then you are in the right area.
I always use the PE methord for long run's as you will find your heart rate rises the more tired you get
Andy_S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't lactate threshold the highest HR you can sustain without getting lactic build up or oxygen deprivation? I cycle up a really long steep hill and after I've done the 'attack the hill' and recovered from that I settle into a steady climb where my HR is about 170-175bph, I assumed that was my lactate threshold. My max is about 190.

I don't seem to be able to do anything that keeps my HR under 130, running is around 165-170, swimming is abound 150 and cycling is around 150-160 (unless I'm climbing or decending).
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right - on a bike, I can keep 170bpm up for hours as the legs don't build up any acid.

30secs at 190bpm, however, and I sound like Darth Vader... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: