Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Film Reviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Film Reviews Reply with quote

Not remotely tri related but then it's Monday morning so what the hell....

Went to see Matrix 3 last night - had to go on my own because my wife thinks the Matrix is a bag of sh*te. If only I'd listened to her.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was sat in the middle of a row with people either side of me I would have got up and left before it was even half way through. The first half of the film I didn't have a clue what was going on (and I only watched Matrix 2 last week ago). Are they in the matrix, are they out of the matrix, are they in the bit that's between being in and out of the matrix, who is the Trainman, who is the Frenchman, who is the Architect, why is the Oracle different etc etc.

The second half of the film was worth staying for just for the special effects - some amazing large scale battle scenes, but that's about all it's got to offer.

Good bits: The Frenchman's wife, girls in shiny leather, special effects, the trailer for the next bit of Lord of the Rings
Bad Bits: Plot, dialogue, Keanu Reeves.

Still better than costume drama though.
Born in the Water

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to saw the Matrix 3 last night too, some good bits and some c**p bits, more c**p than good i thought.

Recipe for matrix 3

1. Take the contents of matrix one and put them in a pot, especially gun fight scenes in a small room Very Happy
2. Take the contents of matrix 2 and put it in a pot, confusing plot and lots of new characters Sad
3. Spend an hour thinking of every film cliche and scene you can and put it in the pot Confused
4. Put about £220 million for special effects in the pot Shocked

mix togehter thoroughly and voila! You have martix 3.

i also agree that the best part was the trailer for LOTR ROTK Confused Confused

Will never tire of the way Agent smith says "Mr Anderson" though, quality Very Happy
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear i have to go to this on wed. 2 of my flatmates saw it at weekend and thought pretty much the same thing......only highlight being the special effects.
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in the Water wrote:
Will never tire of the way Agent smith says "Mr Anderson" though, quality Very Happy

Woo-hoo! I'm not the only one! I love it when he says:

Misssssssterr Andersssssson. Welcome baaaack. We missssssst youuuu!
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oracle is different, 'cos the original actress died.
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given up on the Matrix since seeing the 2nd one, gonna just pretend they made one which was awesome.

waiting for LOTR's ROTK now
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for ROTK - Dec 17th apparently. I reckon it should have the mutha of all battle scenes.
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been holding off reading the last book and waiting for the film !!!
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The books are just stunning - I've read the whole thing a couple of times about 15 years ago, and re read the first two books about three years ago, but consequently can't remember much about ROTK, except I know who the King is but then that's not much of a secret anyway.

Whilst I don't think a film can ever live up to a book these ones do a bloody good job of coming close as no matter how much you love the books there are some boring bits. Unfortunately the films do have to change a few bits though - no Tom Bombadil, and I never did like the idea of talking trees and thought they looked a bit silly in The Two Towers.

I hope it wins every Oscar going. Roll on Dec 17th.
Born in the Water

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by one of my friends that when they were filming a battle scene for the ROTK they had aminated 140,00 bodies for the battle and given each of the armies characteristics and a small bit of AI as to what to do so that they would not have to control all of them indivdually.

The comedy part came when they charged at each other, both armies stopped short of each other and turned and ran off because they were scared of the numbers of each other.

Don't know how true it is but would have been funny to see it happen when they were running the programmes.

I also read the bbok about 15 years ago and had forgotten most of it when watching the film, after watching it started reading the book again and finshed the whole lot in about 3 weeks, just to fit the film into 3 hours i think they will have to miss bits out, i hope that the just stick to the ending of the book which i think they will as their will be uproar if they don't
Simon_B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too went to see Matrix III on Saturday and I have to say I thought it was dreadful. The cinema audience kept erupting in laughter at the dreadful diaglogue. For example when Trinity was holding a gun at the Frenchman's head, his girlfriend said something like, 'listen to her, because she means what she says, as she is in love and will kill us all if she has to...' (in copper from Allo Allo accent) Everyone watching burst out laughing. It was a terrible, terrible film.

However there are two highlights. The first was I got to see the trailer for Lord of the Rings, and it looks fantastic. Well looking forward to it.

The second highlight, is that I won't have to go to see Matrix IV as hopefully they'll never have the balls big enough to make another episode of that crock of old pony.
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the worst film I've ever paid to go and see (that award is for Howards End that my wife forced me to go to), but it's not far away. Even the mid air fighting in the showdown fight with the agent was comical.

Give me Pulp Fiction anyday.
old 140

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see the Matrix 3 yesterday too and have to agree with the comments above. The difference being that I didn't want to see it in the first place buy my wife made me go Surprised .

I actually managed to fall asleep within the first 30 minutes. I found the whole thing with the oracle - "What is the answer..", "I think you know"- very annoying. Couldn't figure out the question, let alone the answer!

Lines like "Man, she can drive" and "I haven't finished my trainning" will definitely make you laugh but may be not for the right reason.

More disappointing than the last Terminator.
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! Haven't seen Matrix 2 either but given the comments above I might just stick to having seen the first one and consider that the end of the story (PS - I loved it, my cup of tea, being an animé/manga fan).

LOR - agree with you all. Read the book about a dozen times and still find new layers to the story. If you reeeeeeeeeealy wanna get into it, I can recommend the Silmarillion. Like the history of the world, only more complex! Explains a lot of what is taken for granted in LOR (elves, Sauron, etc. - where they came from, how they came to power, etc.)
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you all think its about time they did a dvd collection of Burt Reynolds films ?

Ideally it would be

Smokey and the bandit
SatB II
Cannonball Run

just thinking out loud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: