Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
USE Tula aero bars
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xavier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: USE Tula aero bars Reply with quote

Hiya people - I thought I'd write this here and not in the blog full of wierd and wonderful parts, as when I was searching the net trying to find info about the Tula bars I couldn't find anything at all apart from the odd stock photo. No reviews or exploded diagrams or proper measurements etc., so hope that if anyone is contemplating buying these things that this will be of help.

So - my dream bars finally arrived:

And once you open up the box full of £400 worth of bar that the postman just left propping up the front door outside in the wind and gale force winds, as he couldn't be @rsed to write a note for you to collect it from the post office, you find this:

The ones I got were 44cm wide, one thing I thought I was going to have to change was the extensions, as mine are currently very long indeed. Once you put in the ones provided and measure back to the rear clamp, the straights come to 34cm (you can also get s-bends, I think they're the same length). This is too short for me so I'm going to have to either look for some Oval s-bends, or more likely make some carbon ones myself:

The arm rests are attached by one screw at the back, on a little movable bracket that rotates around a spherical bit that they call the Rock and Roll system:

And when you put the arm rests on, they give you one tiny rubber bit each side that you can just about see underneath this one, in case the rest is touching the base bar:

This rubbish picture tries to show the width of the rests as set up below, as you can see there are a number of ways to attach them, forward and back, curved inwards or forward, a very clever little system. Below the space between the rests is 10cm, and from outside tip to outside tip of the rests it's 29cm:

The pods themselves have two screws underneath to open them up, and you can see the internal brake cable routing too. These bars are mentally stiff just in my hands, on a par with the Easton Attacks and definitely better than the Planet X and Profile carbon bars and also the Vision alu ones:

Once you open up the pods you can see how the brakes work - the aero lever is an L shape and pivots round the first screw, with the brake cable going straight into the base bar. Obviously these haven't been on a bike yet, but that's one less corner for the cable to turn, so potentially some good braking to be had:

These will get put on the bike sometime in the next few weeks (waiting for the oversized adjustable stem to arrive first!), but I'm very happy with them, and money well spent. You can get them from the following places, and remember USE is a UK company so warranty issues (if there are any) aren't going to be a pain to sort out:

http://www.southdowns-bikes.com/products.php?plid=m11b0s90p774
http://www.in-gearonline.co.uk/product.php?id=593
http://www.bikeandrun.co.uk/bikeshop/product_info.php?products_id=861
http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/bars_time_trial/AB_USE_TULA.html

If you count the fact that they come with brake levers, and especially the bar and arm rest adjustment, I reckon these would be a better choice than the Easton Attacks.

Hope that helps someone!

Xav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not had chance to read the text but those bars are by far the fittest bars i have ever seen! love em! Cool
WN
White Noise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not had chance to read the text but those bars are by far the fittest bars i have ever seen! love em! Cool
WN
wonderboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't they doing a new version with "proper" brake levers?
bonger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mate, one of the few bars that would not be much/any lighter if you bonded it togeather once you had the position right.
I would need to ride a set and try the brakes before i spend that sort of money tho, i have fitted a set to a customers TT bike and just can't get my head around using them, i know people do so they must be ok but i would have to try a set first.
I think i am going to use the eastons this year, either that or stick with the planet X.
Xavier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are doing a set with normal brake levers, yeah - and they can be retrofitted to the ones I've got apparently

bonger - I'll probably report back once I've got them fitted to the bike and all, but I can see the levers using the same amount of travel as I used to use on the Vision brake levers, and their pivots were sh!t. The fact that the brake cable doesn't go round the first corner before it goes into the lever has got to be good, I suppose braking position is the thing to get used to, but in the races I want to be doing this year I'll only have to brake at the turnaround, I don't like sporting courses as I find them scary and dangerous Shocked . Oh, apart from the national 25, that's going to be mental again like the 10 last year. I was lucky and got these for less than RRP, they are a lot of money but I can't see me using anything else for a while to be honest, plus they'll hold their value well

Also I forgot to mention that there are loads of other holes in the arm rests for you to put the screw through, it looks like there's only one in the photos as I didn't punch through the velcro to get to the others

Xav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, really good for out and back 10's and 25's. I am really stuck for what bars to use this year.
IMDoc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: USE Tula aero bars Reply with quote

Xavier wrote:
...waiting for the oversized adjustable stem to arrive first!

Can I ask which adjustable stem are you going to use?
Xavier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing - this cheap and cheerful one Smile

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=HANDLEBAR%20STEMS&Section=HBSS&GenCode=SYSTHBSS0200

Xav

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking "review" Xav. Interesting point about the brake cable routing making for potentially improved braking.

Wanted a pair of these for a long long time. Think I might be taking my credit card to tcr at the weekend.
jammytask

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made you go for the 44cm wide version in particular? They are lovely looking things for sure.

Chris T
Xavier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would Dave, they look pretty sweet just sitting there Smile

I went for the 44cm version just because that's the width of my other bars really, and my shoulders are too big to use 40cm/42cm wide bars

Just need cables and bar end shifters and they're going on the bike! Oh, and new forks, some cranks, better pedals, a chain, skewers, rear tyre as well Rolling Eyes I've also got to finish building the front wheel, will definitely post that here when I'm done

Xav

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just been mucking about with extensions, have finally settled on this setup, just need to carbonize it all together. A little bit heavier unfortunately but I can live with that

Xav

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things you have to do when you freaky arms eh?

Had another oggle at a pair at TCR on Sunday. The most notable difference between these and other bars is how low the pads are. They are pretty much flat on the bars and the result is that the s-bends and even the straights don't place too much stress on the wrists like they do with other "higher" bars. Really think I'm gonna have to get a pair of these.

The "normal" brake pods looked good. Don't think I'd go for them though.
phil d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xav / anyone else that has a pair of these..... do you have any positive / negative comments to make about the handling with these bars yet? Im seriously looking at getting a pair..either Tula's or a HED bar (only advantage with HED is there is a bit where i can centrally fit my garmin 305). Also does anyone know the cheapest place to source the Tula's from? Not sure how much wattage im going to save from them though, in my last HIM i averaged about 20.5 mph. Mind you im just as interested in them from a weight perspective as they weight naff all!

2010:

Fred Whitton
Etape Du Dales
Ryedale Rumble
Vitruvian

Last edited by phil d on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: