Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Robīs Lanza report( the dnf story) now with pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob_T

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Robīs Lanza report( the dnf story) now with pics Reply with quote

well where to start.
about 1994( it could have been a bit later) i remember listening to one of teh thames trubo guys wh ohad just come back from doing IM lanzarote one of only a few guys i had met to have done one. that was me hooked and have wanted to do lanza ever since, roll forward to recent years after completeing my fisrt IM i still did not feel i was strong enough for the beast.
i waited until a time i was sure i was ready.
24th may 2008.
walking down to the swim star ti had all the normal pre race IM nerves, however something else was a miss; i could not put my finger on it but i did not feel right?
suited up and ready to go, standing with P3C in the pen i was ready for it.
the swim went pretty quick was a bit hecktic unti lthe first turn then it started to thin down.
at the second turn i remember swallowing a very large mouthfull of sea water!!!
lap two i had a dream swim and made up tons of places.
unpon the exit i fely dizzy but that just normal swim vertigo, or was it coz 10 mins later it was still there.
the start of teh bike was easy untii we turned into the wind then i knew iwas in trouble. my legs refused to play ball and were hurting like hell after 15 mins?????
long drag after long drag into awful winds i started to feel very sick, at approx 1h 45 into the race the wheels came off,i started to spew, nothing no matter how i tried would stay down, water, gels powerbar drink even flat coke this pretty much set the tone for the whole ride.
by 5 hours i was being passed by everyone and felt like no strength in my legs at all, kidneys hurt, headache, nausea the lot.
the climbup haria saw the event of a ( probablly) stress induced asthma attack that nearly made me stop there and then.
i plugged on and got over the worst of the course, very thirsty and hungry and extremely weak iturned off the main road for teh climb up to nazret, well this finished me off another 6 miles or soand i started to see double and wobble oll over the road.
time to bail out Crying or Very sad
sitting in the sweep car on theway back i realised how close i was to the end, but as icould barle ystand let along ride another 17 miles then ru na marathon it may as well have been 1700 miles.

on monday i went for a run( stupid) blacked out twice and split my head open, today i feel just awful and ache all over everything is an effort even getting up fro ma sunbed hurts.
clearly something is very wrong i will get checked out when i get home.

i am very very unhappy feel like crying and just so envious of the guys with their finishers shirts.
its like i have crashed a party.
i will be back but i dont know when maybe 2010 all i know is and take heed.
if yo uwanna do this race
be as light as poss
ride your bike till the tyres wear out then ride it some more, if your unsure yo uhave not ridden enough ride some more.
lanza is all about the bike, but wit ha blood yhot hard run after.
i dont feel sorry for myself and dont want pity, i really would onyl like to find out what went wrong s onext time it does not happen.
happy training everyone.

Last edited by Rob_T on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmMatt

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTFU!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I'm absolutely gutted for you. It was good to meet you at Gatwick and again just before the start and I was very concerned when I couldn't find your name on the results list. Fair play to you for making it so far round without any nutrition or fluids. It's probably just as well that you bailed when you did because the run in down to PdC was scary fast and definitely one where you needed to be in full control and the run course was unbelievably hot. You could have done yourself some serious damage.

Take some time off now and recover properly. If you decide to go back in 2010 then I'll see you there

Whisk
2 scheds

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, firstly sorry it went so wrong for you. Crying or Very sad

Second - although it's difficult at the momment, try not to beat yourself up over this. You prepared well, trained hard, tested your nutrition and turned out with a well oiled speedy ride - you couldn't have done anymore than that!!!!

Nowt, nadda, zilch, fek-all you could've done to prevent being ill on the day bloody upsetting and inconveiniant as it surely was, you just gotta put it behind you.

You know on any other day you'd have got round - just make sure you recover well.

Smile
savaloy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Rob, but glad you're still in one piece, if not a little bit battered and bruised emotionally and physically. It sounds like the omens weren't good from the off - have a safe journey home.
Jon Senior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your experience Rob

To quote Boris Becker "nobody died-I just lost a tennis match"

Work out what went wrong and come back stronger
Nello

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this Rob. I'm trying to imagine what it must be like to invest so much effort and energy into one day for it all to go wrong. We all have to accept that possibility I guess - regardless of how much we don't want to believe it could happen. I'm sure youre not the first...and you certainly won't be the last.

I can't imagine myself doing an Ironman at the moment - so much respect for stepping up to the start line. Cool
2012 Goals: Sub 150 lbs (done), Sub4h Marathon (done at Belfast, 3:57), Sub 20m 5k (current 21:55), and FASTER generally..
Clive

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
Great write up.
No rush bud, I bet u it'll still be there when we're all history!
Nicholas Van Holman

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - sorry to hear your news. BUT...friendship, family, work, beer, cuddles, tri-talk - these are the things in life that really matter. A race is a race and no more and should be kept in perspective. When things go great, as they have done for all of us at one time or another, then fantastic, wallow in the praise and admiration, but when things go wrong, as they inevitably will, put it down to experience, move on and prepare for the next project.

There are no hard and fast rules about bad day's in the triathlon office. It can happen as easily in a sprint race than in longer distance events, but the thing that must really hurt is the amount of time and resources you have invested in preparing for an ironman event. The bigger they are, the harder the fall, and I can fully understand your sense of failure or underachievement. But deep down, you know you were ready for the race. You had done the training, but the one thing you cannot completely control is how your body is feeling on race day and whether there are any underlying medical conditions that spoil the day. So there is no need to rip yourself up over Lanza 2008. You did all that you possibly could to finish - and a bit more besides!

As others have said, give yourself a clean break and come back fresh and raring to go.

Nicholas Van Holman
recipher

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to go and get a blood test. Sounds like you might have a virus or an infection or similar. Nothing you can do about that, sh!t happens. Great timing though. I can understand perfectly how you are feeling. I'm sure you'll come to understand that it was nothing that you did or didn't do and you'll be able to let it go.

A fella I know was taken out at the end of the run at Lanza 2007 by a downed cyclist who, in turn, had been taken out by a marshal's car door! That was it for him, game over, broken wheel. Very frustrating but completely out of his (and your) control.

So, you certainly shouldn't admonish yourself. Chin up.
Cleo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob -- Hug

You WILL kick Lanza's *rse next time.
wonderboy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iammatt wrote:
HTFU!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

bit harsh? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
CrazyGirl

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob

Sorry about the DNF but personally I think you made a big brave decision to pull out.

Last year at IM Frankfurt I was in a similar position to you and stupidly pushed myself to finish.

If I am honest with myself it probably took about 5 months to get over the physical damage I did to myself.

Speedy recovery, you will come back mentally stronger.

CG
Rob_T

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for your kind words even the HTFU Wink
Bob 100% right at the end of teh day its just a hobby, all be it one that takes our lives over and empties our bank accounts.
but yes no one died, ( not quite) so i live to fight another day.
thanks again everyone.
and well done to the finishers on what was a bstard of a windy day.
die trying

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob_T.

Really enjoyed reading the Lanza thread through last year and reading all about yourself PC3 and the others. Sorry to read your story and hope you get well soon. Others have said it but I really do think it is better to have tried and given your all - and a brave man that calls it a day at the right moment. By the sound of things you were heading for far worse if you had carried on.

At least you have said your going to go back - good man!!! Very Happy
IM Lanzarote
IM Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: