Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swim Smooth UK Clinics this July!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team Hurtmore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the courses to start as my swim need a good MOT!

I have been experimenting a lot with different SR since my last event. Is there such a thing as being stuck in the middle?

Last night, I did most of my 100m intervals at 52/56/58 SR. Yes the 58 were faster, but I tired quicker over the sets. Average 100m split over 15 intervals was in the rgion of 1:45 vs CSS 1:40 Sad

However, at the end I dropped the SR down to 48 - hmm, exactly the same pace, then 42 with only a marginal slowdown in pace. However, stroke felt really smooth and very relaxed - not surprisingly.

Then just to balance things out - I did two 50ms on 70 SPM and one on 68 SPM - These were much faster at around 40-45 seconds. So I tried 100m at 66SPM as an experiment and got back to 1:30-1:32 Very Happy Very Happy

So there is some speed still there even at 22:00 in the evening. However, my swim feels good at high SR when there seems to be a natural spring in body rotation (and no time to think) with a slightly shorter stroke and at lower stroke rates <50 where I am swimming with a very full stroke, good co-ordination and quite relaxed.

In between 52-58SPM all seems a bit of a mish-mass - speed starts off OK but I tire quite quickly. But stroke just doesn't 'feel' right. I feel like I am muscling the water and having a short stroke esecially on one side. But this disappears when the SR is >60???? How can this happen.

This brings me back to the old TI debate and the SLvSR. My experience leans more towards the TI notion that the cost of increasing speed via SR is relatively high in relation to increasing SL. From a tri perspective this is not a good thing.

So do I focus on lots of intervals at 60+ and just HTFU?

Or do I drop SR down a bit and max SL again?

Better still -I will go to Windsor and get Paul to see why my stroke efficieny dies in the 52-58 bands!!
condor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First clinic yesterday.

I won't steal Paul and Adam's thunder but I was pleased with the investment. Anyone who has read the SwimSmooth threads will not be surprised that it is a well-structured, informative and easy-going day which I can fully recommend to all ability ranges.

I certainly slept well last night after the pool session, 80 spm indeed. Very Happy

If you feel you want to improve there are still places available.
jig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently back from todays Manchester Clinic Smile

Many thanks to Paul for an excellent day - very encouraging, informative and supportive. Worth every penny and having sampled TI as well, my own personal view is that the Swim Smooth clinic is the better.

Good luck for the rest of the UK clinics - now back to my breathing Shocked
lambertsimnel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to meet you yesterday Jig. Good luck for your tri today - the weather looks pretty ropey over here so I might have to wrap up for Ripon.

Can only echo Jig's comments, I thought it was a very worthwhile day and Paul really does know his stuff. I've been going to swim classes for three years and never had they picked up that I wasn't exhaling properly- something Paul spotted straight away.

Highly recommended and money well spent.

cheers

Lambert
Swim Smooth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jog and Lambert - let us know how you got on in the triathlons with your new underwater bubbling technique and how the level of anxiety was?

Great working with both of you yesterday!

Thanks

Paul
lambertsimnel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Well how's this for a difference?

I was out the water at Ripon yesterday in 32 mins 57 secs, a clear five minutes faster than the swim at my last Oly (Wetherby)! My mate (DarrylB on TriTalk) who is normally out eight or nine minutes ahead of me was amazed to find me just three minutes behind him.

So yes followed your advice on the exhaling. As soon as I got into the water I stuck my face in and practised it. On the way back from the turn, just to make sure I was still exhaling, I started humming to myself. I also lifted my head up further as you advised.

So fantastic - instant five minutes faster but by some very clear and simple advice.

Was extolling the virtues of Swim Smooth to my mates yesterday and they could see the results!

JIG, how did you get on yesterday?

Now for the bike, Paul when are we going to see a Bikesmooth?

Cheers

Lambert
AndyS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul does full coaching if that's what you want from him, pop over to the site for more details.

Congrats on knocking off 5 minutes. That's excellent.
Swim Smooth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lambertsimnel wrote:
So fantastic - instant five minutes faster but by some very clear and simple advice.

Superb Lambert - that's an excellent result and something you should be really proud of - well done! You don't need rocket science to swim faster and more comfortably, just simple tips and advice that is easy to remember.

Bike Smooth? Maybe soon! Check out some of our full triathlon free tips and advice over on www.theteamcore.com

Keep us posted and keep it smoooooothhhh!

Paul
Team Hurtmore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, Adam (and, in this case, Sarah.)

I can highly recommend these courses to all TT-ers. As anyone who has benefitted from Paul's advice here and on swimsmooth.com would know and expect, these clinics are based on a very in-depth understanding and explanation of swimming fundamentals. But what marks them apart, is Paul's ability to tailor his advice to each individual. This is not easy to do in a clinic environment but they all did an excellent job yesterday. I think we all felt that our specific needs had been addressed.

Its also a lot of fun - even if you need a thick skin when certain styles of swimmer seem to close to home for comfort Very Happy Very Happy .

The video analysis is superb as you see yourself from all angles. And they have added some really interesting new stuff this year eg body posture etc..

The only thing that surprises me about these courses is the fact that they are not fully booked up. C'mon fellow tri-talkers, having one of the best swim coaches in the UK is an opportunity to be snapped up. And Adam now brings another insightful angle to the analysis.

Perhaps, we should all move to Perth - but endless sunshine would be a bit boring Wink Wink

Guys, you are stars - thanks for clearing my fog!!

TH
AndyS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped up to West Wickham pool today to say hi. Silly me. Rolling Eyes
AndyS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called in today as well but the lights were off in the classroom and people looked deep in concentration. Shame cos I had 20 crispy creme donuts on me for tea break.
jonboy_n5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have popped in to say hello, the donuts would have been much appreciated!

Paul and Adam put on a good day today, thanks guys. Learnt a lot.
If Only

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only re-itterate what TeamHuntmore says...

Great Day .. Thanks to Paul and the guys...

I was teamed under Sarah's wing - who was brill... Always looking at the positives for encouragement, and seeing me through the drills to correct my bad points.

Just to give you an idea of how I think I improved on the day - When Paul video'd us at the start - i was doing around 65 strokes per length for 50m - at the end of the day I was doing 38 SPL Twisted Evil .. Not that SPL are the 'B and End all' but they show what can be achieved with some good advice and top notch coaching.

Yesterday I did a charity swim for the Brtitsh Heart foundation - We started at Bournemouth Pier and finished at Boscombe Pier (2.5K). It was not a race and I can only 'guess' my time at around 45mins - but during the swim it was obvious I was so much more relaxed and my breathing was spot on.. I finished with loads more energy in the tank and could have easily gone on to do more - and I put this down to having a lot more efficient stroke.

My Swimming Mojo's back !!!

Anyway - great day and I would definately recommend to others
Team Hurtmore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah,

If you read this, could you pm your contact details. It would be good to have some refresher sessions from time to time.

Cheers,

TH
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More thanks from me - the video analysis is so useful. It's incredible to be able to see what you have to improve on. Even if it does look like I'm always waving at somebody behind me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: