Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
My long and rarther tedious Bala Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: My long and rarther tedious Bala Report Reply with quote

Itís the beginning of June so itís Bala time. I did this race last year as part of my IMUK prep and thoroughly enjoyed it so thought Iíd give it a go again (last years race report)

This would have been the first race I had done twice, so I was a little disappointed that they had changed the bike course as it would have made a nice comparison.

Preamble

It had actually been touch and go as to weather I would actually make it to the start line the last few weeks. I am havenít really there mentally with tri recently. Just got quite a few other things going on in my life so training has slipped. Plus lunch on Thursday which turned into an all day drinking session probably didnít really help.

Anyway the decision was deferred until Saturday morning. For some reason I work up stupidly early, so read some old race reports of Bala and though WTF lets do it.

So after a 5 hour drive to Wales- registered, set up the tent, then hooked up with EJ to drive the bike and run course. I made a bit of a mistake with the distances so I thought the bike turnaround was by the MTB park. Then Dinner with EJ and Twester, they were sensible and had chicken pasta. I went for a rare steak and chips washed down with a couple of pints of Guinness  Got chatting to an old boy in the pub, who it turns out owns the camp site. The fact I was staying there, ate steak and live/ have a Scottish name he tipped me for the win and promised to use his sheep to hold up the rest of the field

RACE DAY

Alarm set for 6am, up after hitting the snooze button only a couple of times. Breakfast. Then off to the lake side to get racked by about half seven.

No matter how much time I give my self to rack I always end up fafing about. But anyway got racked and body marked. Fortunatly the other half had packed me some factor 30 so I slpaed that on with great abandon. Then stood around talking rubbish with Poet, EJ, Leahnp plus a few others. Got the wettie on.

Remembering last years difficulties swimming and panic attacks, I took Spikes advice and got in to the water very early for a bit of a warm up (or should it be cool down). Then just sat in the water until they called us to the counting pens.

SWIM

I got in fairly early and realised that I was a bit near the front, so started to work my way back, when the hooter went. So unfortunately I got swam over a fair bit. Nothing to serious though. I soon settled in to an easy rhythm, but as usual wasnít really enjoying it. My sighting left a bit to be desired and on the out leg I went a bit too far to the left. On the return leg again I went a bit leftish, but not on the same scale.

Only one real incident in the swim, I was quite happily plodding my way home on the return leg, when all of a sudden I get punched in the face and my goggles knocked of. Instinctively I tried to hit the guy back, but fortunately missed

So with about 400m to go, which seemed to take for ever I started going thorough my T1 Routine in my head. And just generally relaxing and getting my self mentally ready for the bike.

The lake at Bala is quite shallow at the edges so you have to start walking a good 20 meters out from the shore

Swim plus T1 of 3-4 mins was 52 mins

T1

No major dramas, though the aero helmet took a bit of time to get on. As I say probably 3-4 mins in total a bit slow but not to bad.

Bike

As you may have read the course had been changed, to an out and back one. With more hills.

I settled quite quickly in to the bike and started making up a few places, looked down at the Ergomo and BALLS I had forgot to reset it, so the averages and distance included my last bike ride.

The plan was to keep it at 200 watts for the hills and 180 or so on the flat, and thatís what I generally did. I found that I would overtake a few people one or two would go past me on a hill then I would catch and pass them on the flat. For every uphill at least you knew that you would be coming down it on the way back, conversely every time you went down one you knew you would be climbing back up it.

Nutrition wise I had 2 cliff bars, energy drink and 6 gels in two flaks diluted with water. To be honest I think I messed up my nutrition. I didnít take enough on board as I didnít really fancy the cliff bars.

I was quite surprised at the amount of time it took me pass the leaders coming the other way I though they would have reached me long before the turn on to the A5 or A55. I think this was probably down to not having a Speedo working properly (see eailer Ergomo cock up)

Coming down the hill to the turn was a bit soul destroying as you knew it would be a bit of a grind coming back up !! But I peaty much kept my place, though a few of the faster girls came past. I did how ever keep wishing the bike to end. I basically told my self once you get over the 10% hill its all down hill. So that was my little mental challenge to my self .

I did cack my self a few times on the fast down hills, especially as I had a bit of a speed wobble. I tried to tell myself to relax, but it just wasnít happening.

I think it was about a third of the way into the bike that my head started to go, I got to the point where I couldnít be bothered and almost sat up a few times. I also suffered a bit in the heat and felt dizzy at times on the up hills as I was wearing an aero helmet and with out a bit of speed it quite hot..

Going back up the 10% hill was fun, not as hard as I tought but fun anyway.

So finished the bike plus T2 in 2:57 exactly 10 mins slower than last year. I think the fastest (non realy) bike split was 20 mins slower than last year, so there is some improvement there 

So an easy T2 and on to the run- this was going to be loads of fun !!!

Almost immediately people started to come past me. I had my usual pain in my right hip which I get when running of the bike, not as bad as it normally is, but still there. The plan was to do 9 min miles for as long as I could. But it just didnít happen. I ran probably the first 4 miles then I lost it. There just wasnít anything to give. I expect it was a combination of going to hard on the bike, lack of nutrition and not have the fitness for some reason.

Had a bit of banter with various pirates and a bit of goading by one or two. But I just couldnít keep running, the heat started to anoy me as well. Despite thinking that this years run was worse than lasts I was actually 2 mins quicker.

The hills are a killer though, there is no time or space to get in to a bit of a rhyme. It did get to the point though if some one had offerd me a lift home I would have gladly accepted it.

Run finished in 2;20 now considering by half mara PB is 1:57 or so, thatís pretty rubbish.

So finished in 6:09.

To be honest I am a bit peved at the result, but I only have my self to blame. Training hasnít been its best recently but ho hum. I have entered the Steelman so will probably do that next month.

Iíd like to do the race next year, but the timing is a little bad as it falls on my other halfís birthday. We shall see.

edited to add- Bala is a great place for a race, the locals seem very welcoming and intrested. It does cause a fair bit of disturbace to them. But unlike other places you hear about they seem to welcome the race with open arms.

Ps photos courtesy of TC and Lincoln Tri

pps It's actually more of a colection of random thoughts than a proper report

ppps well done for staying awake this long

So many races so little time.
robertquantrell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good report Jamie, shame the race didnt go as well as you might have wanted but you seemed to not be 'there' before the race even ?

middle distance is a long time to go without being 'up for it' so well done for hanging in there?

How did you find the new bike/aero helmet etc? did you find it made a diff over the road bike you had last year?
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertquantrell wrote:

How did you find the new bike/aero helmet etc? did you find it made a diff over the road bike you had last year?

Defintly made a difrance, one or two guys took me on the up hills but I was defintly making up ground on the flats. Big Big changes for the better useing the aero goodies over the road bike.

tweenster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Jamie, and good to meet you. Do you think the steak and Guinness helped or hindered your performance?
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweenster wrote:
Nice report Jamie, and good to meet you. Do you think the steak and Guinness helped or hindered your performance?

Good to meet you to, or paths may cross again at Aberfeldy

Not to sure, next year I'll try it on pasta Smile Smile

Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2h20 hot Bala HM vs 1h57 PB (on a cooler day?) IS NOT RUBBISH M8 Exclamation Exclamation So well done for hanging in there, good report.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
The Taffia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You finished just infront of me then jamie!
Exactly the same run time.

I think I may of waved nodded at the finish, but I think I stumbled to my bike in racking and had a sit down!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: