Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newbie qu - Numb hands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Piggy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Newbie qu - Numb hands Reply with quote

I have a racing/road bike and when I ride for long distances my hands get really numb. Is this normal, should I just get used to it, or is there something wrong with the setup of my bike? Is it because I ride with my hands covering the brakes and not on the drops?
I have a Trek 1000 43cm frame (yup you read that right, I'm only 4'11).

Thanks in advance for any help.
G

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Miss Piggy,

I think everyone suffers from this to some extent. I often get very numb and sore hands after a long bike ride, which I put down to the vibrations being transferred to my hands/arms through the not too smooth roads. This can be eased by wearing gloves or perhaps experimenting with some different and thicker handlebar tape.

I suppose it could be a setup problem but I wouldn't know how to fix it, other than trying a different posistion and seeing if it helps Confused

Cheers

G
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

could be riding position... if the bars are a bit too far forward (stem or top tube too long) then you'll be putting more weight on your hands. If this is the case i guess you'd know cos your arms would be knackered too!

other than that change your hand position regularly.. i alternate between:
on the brake hoods (mostly)
sat back a bit on the tops of the bars (resting & gentle climbing)
sat back hands on tri bar elbow pads ! (when i'm really knackered)
tri bars obv.
drops occasionally.
all these help to vary where the pressure is on your hands.

or that's my take on it anyhow
Gavin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from this quite badly - every ride longer than an hour!

I have always assumed it is due to my riding position but I really don't know what to do about that.

I was considering getting some aero bars which would hopefully take some of the weight off my wrists - and would also give me another riding position for variation.

Gavin
29:07:07 Salford Triathlon BG World Cup

www.trisalford.info for more
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few nerve endings in the palms of our hands that, after a long time in the same position, will get compressed and go numb. Best thing is to swap riding positions every 10mins or so. I do so with the conditions: on the drops when sprinting, the tops when climbing in my seat, on the hoods when climbing out of seat and for general flat riding.

Also, your riding position is vital - too much weight on handlebars = numb hands and less control. You should be able to take your hands off the bars at any time without feeling like you're going to topple over.

The forks will also have a major impact - unless they're carbon, the greater the bend, the smoother the ride. From memory, Treks w/o carbon forks are quite prone to road vibrations.

HTH,
Rob
andy collier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got aero bars fitted? much easier on the hands
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss piglet, one thing you should check which hasn't been mentioned yet (I don't think) is the air pressure in the tyres. If you have a decent pair of tyres you should be up to at least 100 psi (unless it's very wet). If your psi is low (eg sub60) then you're going to 'feel' the road a lot more!
You might want to consider getting some axiel pro clinchers from your local cycling shop. They are quite expensive but sometimes you can get a pair on a bargain.

Other than that, just do as mentioned above. Try doubling up on the bar tape (or wrapping thickly). Maybe buy some gloves and try and change your position as much as poss.

Oh yeh one other thing is get your postion checked out by your local shop. It may just be the fact that you are putting a lot of weight/pressure on the handlebars from, for instance, having the seat too high and at a forward sloping angle, or too bunched up.

Hope you sort this matey!! Wink
Miss Piggy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I've been trying to change my hand positions every 10 mins. Seems to be working so far. Also I find that riding on the drops is the best on my hands.

Thanks again,
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

daz.. higher tyre pressures = MORE vibration transmission.....

and also less grip Shocked as i have discovered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: