Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Turbo Trainers (again)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Turbo Trainers (again) Reply with quote

I've been putting it off but think I have to get a turbo - the final straw was getting dropped by everybody on a big hill on the club ride last sunday (sooo humiliating Embarassed ).

So - what turbos do you have and what do you like or not like about them? The most important thing for me will be noise levels - recent 220 survey said Minoura Hypermag 1200 was quietest around, but my LBS only sells Elite. The Elite Fluid turbo doesn't have any resistance adjuster but has "progressive resistance" - what the *#@$ is that?
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the cyclops wind which cost me about 70 from triuk catelogue (with riser and vid thrown in). This was way too noisy - sounded like an engine!
Now have a magnetic tt, bought second hand. It's perfect, only noise now comes from turbulence in the spokes (thats all) and has an arm that can be raised next to bike with resistance adjuster.

Def recommend steering clear of wind and going for fluid or magnetic. Have a look and see if TFN or triuk have any offers. or classifides of triathletes-uk.org.

I'm guessing the resistance adjuster is connected to the tt and you flip a switch to vary resistance. "progressive resistance' must therefore mean resistance is achieved by changing through the gears on your bike (only).
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the minoura hypermag 1200 after reading the 220 and the cycling weekly reviews on turbo trainers ( got it from wiggle.co.uk ) It was easy to set up and has a resistance lever although i tend to change gear to increase reisitance. No probs with it at all. The noise level is fine and with a stereo next to me can hardly hear the trainer.
Would recommend you get the riser block for the front wheels as this keep the bike level. Oh and a towel for all the sweat !
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how loud is it Dre? Say I was using it in the lounge would my wife still be able to watch TV / hold a conversation ? The Minoura got a great review in 220 (didn't see the reviews in CW) which said it was the quietest - but just how quiet is quiet?
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she could watch telly but would have to turn the volume up and it would be v. annoying. I dont think any of them are that quiet. I can't think of an analogy for the sound..... as loud as a big server running next to you?? or
someone ice skating next to you????? Another room would be best with a closed door between and then you wouldn't hear anything ( unless like me you have Maiden on at vol 11 )

hth ?
Cougie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U use a Cateye Cyclosimulator - it has variable magnetic resistance, and a fan, but I took that off, as that makes too much noise.

It's in the garage - and it's not that noisy, but I wouldn't bother trying to turbo in the living room.

Unless you have a dedicated place set up, you aren't gonna be faffed lugging everything through and setting it up. Plus you'll sweat like a pig indoors. I have a huge fan a foot away from me, and I still drip all over the place.

Have you tried spinning classes at the gym ? Wink
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does help thanks Dre.

No spinning classes at our gym Crying or Very sad

It would most likely only get used once a week, as a supplement to my Sunday LSD ride - it's just a way of fitting in an extra bike session as one per week is probably not enough.
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the proud owner of a Cyclops but unlike Daz'sold one it's a fluid one Smile
Works on gears to change resistance, couldnt really work out how this would be at first but believe me it makes me work Shocked Also got a video with it so is as if I'm in a class with others --all world champs in something Surprised It is a bit noisy but can hear the video no probs without being loud. Think in the same room it would be an annoying continuous drone, not partic loud but would get on your nerves --like a ticking clock can Smile Must admit mine is in the spare bedroom but having an old house and turning the radiator off in that room doesnt make it too hot Surprised ---couldnt put me new bike outside the house now could I Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowpoke if you pm me a fax number i'll send a copy of the ttranier review from cycling mag
Cougie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SR - as it was a hill that you got dropped on, there are 2 ways to get better at hills.

1. Lose some weight and your power/weight ratio goes up. (and if you've none to lose, then it's time to hit the bike shop for carbon goodies !) Wink

2. Practice on the hills - I suppose you could recreate this on a turbo, but it's not like the real thing where you can rock the bike.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for not getting the wind version - when Daz started up it sounded like a force 10 gale was being whipped up in the garage! Twisted Evil
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah that was just the curry I had beforehand
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here was me thinking you'd installed a foghorn on your bike! Evil or Very Mad
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cougie wrote:
SR - as it was a hill that you got dropped on, there are 2 ways to get better at hills.

1. Lose some weight and your power/weight ratio goes up. (and if you've none to lose, then it's time to hit the bike shop for carbon goodies !) Wink

2. Practice on the hills - I suppose you could recreate this on a turbo, but it's not like the real thing where you can rock the bike.

Ta Cougie - I am a heavyish build and could certainly benefit from shedding a few pounds, my power/weight ratio usually puts me in the "weak as a kitten" category Laughing

I do practice on the hills - can't avoid the bloody things round here and most of them are quite big, but I'm only managing one ride a week so the turbo is to help supplement that.
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main problem with doing enough bike rides is I only have one pair of cycling shorts! This means only one ride per week! Very Happy Maybe, if I'm good, Santa will bring me another pair. Then I can go riding.....twice per week!

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: