Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Jev's Cleveland Steelman DNF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Jev's Cleveland Steelman DNF Reply with quote

I travelled the 115 mile trip this morning to registar at 8am for this middle distance event.

2000metre swim, 58 mile bike, 12 mile run

The weather held off for the 2 hours prior to the event and then the rain started, the wind picked up and it got cooler.

I finished the swim in 35 minutes. No problems just followed somebody's feet that I liked the look of and relied on my trusty breast stroke.

Slowish transition as I opted to put on arm warmers. I didn't bother to dry myself as it was raining fairly heavily by this point. 20 minutes in to the bike and my heart rate started to settle. At this point the rain was really teaming it down and didn't let off for the whole of the bike.

A bit of a moan now. This was a no drafting race with literature sent to all competitors prior to the event. Apparantly the previous year saw lots of drafting and more specifically group riding. I can appreciate both concepts in terms of speed as I have been involved in both during training rides. It was no different this year. At one point 7 riders came past me with no more than 12 inches between each of them. The rules were actually put there for a reason, it was an open road event on particularly busy main roads with vehicles passing at 60mph +. It bugs me as those riders and others got an unfair advantage. If everyone jumped on to the back of these cheats, events such as this would be closed down and we as the consumer will suffer in the long run with increased costs.

I finished the bike in 3 hours dead. Extremely pleased but very cold with the rain, windchill and 14 degree temp showing on the bike thermometer.

This is where the problems started. Within 1/2 mile of the start of the run I felt my ankle go. Now being stubborn I continued on in order to save the embarassment of walking back to the start. In turn I completed the first lap, 6 miles in 50 minutes and dropped out with an extremely swollen ankle. With Ironman UK not to far away I didn't want to risk any more miles on the ankle. I am hoping that it is fairly minor and that icing it tonight will solve the problem but will book to see the physio on Monday morning.

I learnt a fair bit today. I did not take on enough supplements on the bike, maybe should have had more gels/bars. I should have worn something warmer on the bike as I was extremely cold at one point. I need to get out and do some more hills prior to Ironman. My swimming has improved.

I hope that everyone had a good day today.
e-j

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very bad luck Jev, but right decision to pull out with IMUK as your target.

tough with that rain today, and that run was not designed to be ran on with a sprained ankle. pushing on you would have done far more damage. so chalk it up to experience.

great swim if you were doing breast stroke! only a couple of mins behind me and I was swimming crawl as hard as I could!!!!

rest up, and get that ankle sorted.

Phil Wilson- "EJ... He's an injury rehab ninja."
esox.flucius- "The man that Sport & Exercise doctors turn to for help"
JB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jev,

Sorry to hear about your DNF - hope the ankle clears up before IMUK...

Probably no consolation but speaking to a referee who we and a whinge to anout the drafting at the Cleveland Short Course event which had rampant drafting and no penalties today he said there had been...

5xDQ's and 10x2minute penalties handed out for drafting which is a good start!

The rain got a bit in your face at times and the potholes filled with rain where a pain to navigate eh?

I managed to trawl myself around in 4hr 29mins and felt ok compared the short course where I felt crap and had a shocker...

Good luck at Sherbourne...
wiganer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey charlie mate.....hope the ankle is ok.....make sure you get it iced and look after it...... IMUK is the target and you need to be right for that.....

good work on the swimming......the trusty breast-stroke is as good as most peoples freestyle so I wouldnt bother changing....

see you soon and recover well..
Sue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gave it your best but your body had other ideas Sad get your ankle sorted, a few weeks left before the big day, did well to stop n be sensible. You learnt some stuff for IMUK so wasnt a waste. Rest n recover
--eee do you know how us crawlers feel when a b'stroker is going faster Rolling Eyes no consideration Wink well done, great time

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

difficult decision to drop out but you have to keep the big goal in mind, you did the right thing. I hated myself after dropping out at Tatton but same situation, sometimes you have to make sacrifices for a long term goal

agree about the idiots drafting, you were out of the water just before me, I wonder if the big pack that passed you was the one that I was towing? there were about 7 guys on my wheel for the first 8 miles, couldnt get rid of them, and not riding draft legal either. Fair play though, when the marshal on the bike came by he stopped to write some numbers down after beeping his horn at them

was a tough day out there today with the wind and rain (was it hailing at one point?!), I had a good day though and put together a solid 1.20 negative split run at the end of it which I'm well chuffed with. SIS Smart gels are rocket fuel. Shame they taste of Benlyin though.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recover strong jev
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Rob_T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope it heals quick, sorry to hear about the DNF Sad
ironholgs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jev,

Sorry to hear about your DNF, the right decision though ahead of IMUK. The run course was tough and very slippy, I was running in my salomans and that was bad enough, don't know how you fast guys managed it in racing flats !!

Didn't experience any drafting but I saw the bike ref about 4 times on the course. It was really tough in the rain and wind, and yep I thought there was a bit of hail in there as well.

Good to talk to EJ at the end and the encouragement from him and the tri-talker that finished just behind me ( I was the token Pirate ) was good.

I had a great day at the office taking 29 minutes off my pb to finish in 5:35:37.

So Jev, recover well and have a storming race when IMUK comes around.

http//:Ironholgs.wordpress.com/
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cant-Swim-Cant-Ride-Cant-Run-by-Andy-Holgate/162628350446288
crap@swimming.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this was my fifth triathlon and had an excellent swim, and realy good bike (likely to good) and a realy good run, happy as a sandboy all the way home.
Family barbaque on sunday and everybody asking how i got on smiling from lug to lug as i told them, then snuck away to check to see if results were on the web, and there they were, quick look down and no results on so looked again and there i was disqualified Exclamation couldent bloody belive it, i have never cheated at anything in my life.
Went back to the barby with a face like a well slapped arse Sad and told no one, went on the btf web site to see what the drafting zone was before i complained and saw that it was 7m by 3m. Well hands up its a fair cop.
Didnt no and sat quite happily about 5m from a few bikes with the marshals passing me. I would have prefered him to peep and tell me, give me a time penalty and at least i would have got a finish out of the day.
But 5m was as close as i got all day, totaly gutted, but in the wrong, and will no better for next time.
Sad Sad Sad
Weds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your DNF Crying or Very sad Good decision though. Hope your ankle heals quickly

Good swimming mate - I just front crawled the Norwich Olympic 1500m in 38 minutes Very Happy Very Happy

x
Jev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had physio today on my ankle. No running for a couple of weeks to allow the ankle swelling to disappear and allow it to recover.

New trainers needed as they are not offering enough support for my ankle. To be fair I thought it may have had something to do with the trainers as I have not been 100% happy with them since buying them. I think I will be reverting to Brooks as the Adidas pair I now have seem to be causing the issue. Looking at it now I have been gradually getting increased tension through the calf and soleus, possibly caused by inadequate trainers. I am not saying Adidas are inadequate, just the trainer I have personally been using.

It gives me an opportunity to increase the swimming and cycling for a fortnight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: