Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
mash180 - IM Germany race repoprt. ( long and boring )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mash180

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: mash180 - IM Germany race repoprt. ( long and boring ) Reply with quote

I entered this race last year so that I could say that I had raced at all of the european IM races. I was going to train harder and longer than any time before, try to get under 12 hours and then maybe call it a day Sad .
But a few months after entering 2 things happened - I ended up with a bad knee injury and had entered Doubleironuk on a whim. I decieded to use Germany as a long trainning day instead of a race. I missed about 4 months of running but could swim and bike ok but didn't feel to confident about the marathon so my plan was to swim and bike and maybe drop out at T2.

I flew out with Nivarna on thursday with just a slight delay and settled in to the hotel. After registering I built the bike back up,or at least tried to ! somehow I had forgotten my seat clamp bolt. I rushed down to the expo and found one of the stalls that were doing bike servicing,unfortunately they did not have any spare bolts so they took one off a brand new bike on display and fitted that for me - free of charge.

Friday was pasta party and chill out time.

Saturday was bike racking down at the lake. With the usuall German attitude this was done smoothly and I was back at the hotel for an afternoon sleep.

Race day - alarm goes off at 3.45 and it's time for breakfast, a quick shower and then down the street to pick up a shuttle bus for the lake.Checked bike and pumped up the tyres got into my wetsuit and had a gel before making my way to the start.

Swim - I started at the back of the field and hoped for some space.WRONG idea.After the 1st 800meters of being used has someones punchbag, swam over,pulled under etc I decieded to swim wide and get some clear water. This helped and the rest of the swim was uneventful.
Swim time 1.14

No one tells you how steep the hill is that you have to run up to get to T1 Twisted Evil

Bike - the 1st 12k or so are fast ,very fast and there are lots of bunches going along that you just can't stay out of. When you get to the main loop the bunches thin out and you are able to do your own thing. There are a couple of hills on the course but it's only the last one that is noticeable.
I flew around the 1st lap way to fast and knew that I would suffer on the 2nd lap. The 2nd lap was much windyer than the 1st and the flats were exposed and quite a struggle. I started to suffer at about 140k but after eating and drinking,didn't feel to bad.
Bike time 6.15

I decided to carry on and see how it goes.

Run - the plan was to run the first 2 laps and survive the rest.
I ran the first 2 in about 2 hours and then fell apart BIG time. After eating and drinking more than you can possibly imagine. I completed the run/walk by running up the finish cute to get my medal. The last 2 laps took me 3.5 hours Sad

I must say it was a great,well organised race that YOU must do at somepoint in your IM career.

If you have got to this point without falling asleep -Thank you.
WindyMiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still awake; have read longer, more boring reports. Well done (on the finish rather than the report).
SJB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done mate. See you in Birmingham for the double
mitten.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mash - especially with such a lack of training, what was your final time though ? Good luck with the double
mash180

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le mitten wrote:
what was your final time though ?

13 .16
Legs of Jelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mash well done on getting through and good luck for the double. Cool

jabba1977ad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mash,

Nice report - I enjoyed it, and congratulations.

Correct about the ramp to T1 - not something to run up!!!

I second your comments on the organistion - can't criticise at all. Even the finish line buffet was top notch.

Richard

PS what do you think of the IMCH course?
mash180

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Allbert wrote:

PS what do you think of the IMCH course?

IMCH is a lot hiller and the climbs seemed a lot longer, IMDE seems a lot more technical with a lot of twist and turns. ( I loved the little underpass that you went through just before the end of the loop at IMDE though Wink )
triref

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mash I think you and I had a quick conversation on the run, I was telling my tri Preston mate to keep hydrating and you said I should take my own advice as I was cramping up in the quads, think you also shouted go on tri Preston on the next lap I did when I passed you, well done and good luck on the double
p00key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report - well done Smile
captain nugget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: mash180 - IM Germany race repoprt. ( long and boring ) Reply with quote

mash180 wrote:

I must say it was a great,well organised race that YOU must do at somepoint in your IM career.

I'd second that. It was my 1st and if I could get an entry I'd go straight back next year.
pies

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done mash, superb effort
pip

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done
Badger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work and well done to keep with it mentally.

Best of luck for the double!

B Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: