Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Who will qualify for the Olympics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
not_connor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Allen will make it

tim don is a waste of space
old 146

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Jenkins before Allen Reply with quote

If they raced as a team they would win medals, but which of our established and top athletes are going to give up there chance for medals themselves to let a rival, take gold?

The spanish use this team format in major champs - the result being Ivan Rana winning both the World Champs in Cancun and the euros.

If the Australians did the same thing they would kill! Craig walton could sheild bennet and robbo in the swim and run, then they would win gold with ease...

For our own team, i wouldnt discount marc jenkins from the team - he has cosistently beaten most brits this season - i think his only loss to Rich allen ( he seems popular on the forum) was at london?? He thrashes him in ITU racing, as is ranked 2nd brit behind AJ - hes 15th, ahead of Don in 17th.

Personally id love to see AJ, Jenkins and Don make the team.

Women - Leanda is having so many injury problems at the moment so shes a real guess...sure she is world champ, but shes barely finished a race this season...my coach was at geelong for the world cup last weekend, said she was in a different race - she ran a 44 minute 10k! however, I do hope she gets herself together..with chris jones coaching her, I reckon she will! Alongside her - dillon and Swallow.
not_connor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sam i like the idea of AJ, and jenkins, but have to say that leesing would be a better bet than Tim Don, as i don't think he has what it takes to win (say's me that takes about the same time for the swim as Tim takes for the Whole race) Laughing Laughing
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessing can thrash any other Brit, even when he's not trying. (I think the only time he's been beaten in the last few years by a Brit was in an ITU race this year, when Tim Don won a World Cup race (St Anthony's?). If my memeory is being selective, please correct me. Even when he's not really up for a race (last year's National Champs, which was a Commonwealth qualifier, at Stockton, where he said it was so cold he almost gave it a miss in favour of a later race at Zundert) he can just strode away from the rest.

BB

Sam, Geelong was just a training race for Leanda, although she was to stay competitive in the swim and bike. But you probably knew that anyway.

How's life down under? Do you post an online diary at all? I would be interesting to see how you are getting on.
old 146

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in a non-drafting race Simon would still beat most if not all Triathletes in the world, shown by his record this year in the states - one week he beat Walton, the next week he got 2nd etc - these guys are miles ahead in that format.
However, I'm not sure if he has the leg speed to keep up with the top ITU guys anymore - the mens podium are typically finishing with a sub 30.50 10k run - thats gas! Lessings running hasnt been the same since 99 Worlds when dimitry gaag overtook him on the run leg - the first time that has ever happened to lessing in a 15 year triathlon career.

AJ is our only brit who can run that kind of pace - I think he was the first to break the 30.30 barrier earlier this year? But Tim Don isn't far off - shown by his win at st. anthonys

yeah Leanda is going to be doing some training about an hour from my place..at the triathlon mecca of Noosa. It looks possible that I might move up there post worlds (im not going unfortunatley!) and do some training with them - il send reports!)

Life in Oz is pretty amazing...I'll write a seperate post sometime this arvo if you guys are interested...some of my training partners are pretty amazing too - one swam 17.15 the other day (hes an age grouper), another can run a low 31 minute 10k - and the biking is hardest, we finished a 120k ride in a paceline at 33mph average yesterday - I was gooooneeee!
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam you said
Quote:
I'll write a seperate post sometime this arvo if you guys are interested..

--yes, please do, would be very interested to read Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swift_sam wrote:
...some of my training partners are pretty amazing too - one swam 17.15 the other day (hes an age grouper), another can run a low 31 minute 10k - and the biking is hardest, we finished a 120k ride in a paceline at 33mph average yesterday - I was gooooneeee!

Figures like this make you realise that there is a whole other echelon of performance out there. The bike one impresses me the most - 120k at 33mph average sounds just awesome.
old 146

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke!
No no! we didnt do the full 120k at 33mph! we did most of the ride at about 33k an hour (thats steady endurance pace - bout 20mph?) but we got a bit bored towards the end and few of the older dudes shifted it!

Whats interesting is that its the older age group guys - normally mid to late 30s who are strongest on the bike here - there is an age grouper who did 1.55 for olymp the other day, but what is more impressive is that he rode 58 - the same split as the pros - the race was officially non drafting, but if so, the pros seem to have trouble judging 7m between each bike!

But your right, there really is a whole other echelon of performance - and more often than not, it comes from the standard age grouper with family and job - most of squad im in are like this - they train 1-2hrs at 5am before work, and are there for another 2hrs abuse each evening - more so at the weekends...its just awesome!

Re: Sue - what do you guys wanna know about life out here?
Just a start - its 20.45 and im dead...even though its a recovery day (5k swim and 12k run - funny idea of recovery right!) i need to get to bed - up at 4am to get to a 90 min run/4k swim set...oh the joys of oz!
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew Sam, that makes me feel a little better - although 120k @ av 20mph is still good going.

Also, you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes recovery!! Mine tends to involve a tv & a remote control!

Have spent a bit of time in Oz and it must be heaven for training. I seem to remember a statistic a while back that there were more 50m pools in and around Woolongong than in the whole of the UK!
old 146

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day guys..

My ideas of recovery differ from my coaches! in truth, what i didnt say is that when each session is over - adfter we'v biked the 5k home uphill, me and my training partner just sit back and watch dvds and sleep till the next session - and eat too much pasta! its a tough life!

pretty good days training - 7.5hrs! hows the weather guys?
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cack. Although today is not too bad (there are bits of blue sky in London) I was like a drowned rat on Saturday. I did a 46 mile ride. It p*ssed down and I was shivering uncontrollably on the way home. I have NEVER been so cold and miserable, even as a small tot, made to play rugby in the depths of winter.

I just kept visualising the finish line at next year TLD. It's rides like this that get you to the finish line. Or kill you.

BB.
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam , I don't know if I've missed something in an earlier thread but are you a full time or Elite triathlete then?....or just very lucky!!
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowpoke,

He's a young'un who's taking a year out in Oz, to become a pro. He first came to the public's attention in the old, fondly-remembered triathletes-uk Egroup. He posted an email effectively saying "I can swim the English Channel in an hour, ride around the British coastline in two hourts, and then run a marathon in world record time. Do you think I could do a triathlon?" Several people thought he was taking the p*ss, and abused him roundly, until someone else posted "Actually, we met up with him, and he's not joking." Apparently, he went for a ride with someone, having cycling 20 miles to get there, and then 20 miles back home afterwards.

Basically, young Samuel is a star for the future! (Although looking at his training regime, he seems to be aiming for an ironman career!)

BB

Before you post, Sam, I'm joking about the Ironman!
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BB and hat's off to you Sam.
old 146

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: fact or fiction! Reply with quote

BB,
thanks for that, but im afriad theres a fairly large % of myth mixed in with that! alas I wish i could swim that fast!!

Incidentaly, what was your email name on the old egroup?

I basically got into Triathlon through using the net too much and on the egroup BB mentions, I met a real legend called Steve Trew, who is one of britains best coaches and commentators and a real nice bloke! He coached me from a sack of lard as a 16 year old, to an ok ish 17 year old - who still got wooped over the short sprint distances...

Anyway, I like the sport, so instead of giving it up while I and (everyone my age it seems - its tough being young!) went on a gap year - I made Triathlon my gap year, by spending 7 months out in Brisbane Aus, training as full time as i could...certainly its getting better, but im several miles down the road from the 'elite status' you guy have so kindly given (and I would normally grab at and claim!)

Interesting, but the more i train out here, and the faster I get, The more I realise how truly phenomonal Pro triathletes are...its amazing, they are just so fast!! I mean - running 31 minutues off the bike - !!! How ??!
Alot of people slag off the ITU guys coz of the drafting, but trust me, thought it may be a different kind of 'hard' to tt cycling, its still very tough - the power outputs from surging and taking corners and attacking etc is just amazing - and well above the power outputs a TT would produce - for this reason, several top coaches beleive its actually easier to run a fast 10k of a non drating bike leg - or if you read serious perfromance into it - if you can go hard off the bike and ride your own TT race ahead of the pack - your legs will be fresher for the run - crazy hu?!

Anyway, yes a fw arrogant emails might have got me on a bad start, but I dont thinK I ever claimed that much BB! It was more a plea for sponsors and saying that I 'a mortal' was going to attempt life as a pro after only 1 year in the sport that got many people laughing and the whole ' get an education first speech (for record, im off to uni in sept) ...but a few of them warmed to the idea and i certiainly wasnt put off!

On that same note...if there are any businessmen or women! on the forum who would like to sponsor 2 up and coming brits who will smash the field in a few years time - please post back!

'Star of the Future' That would be cool - im basically trying to out-train the v fast gb juniors, so I can catch up on the 5-10years extra in the sport they have on me! We'll see if it works come may!

Ironman - oh yeah, now your talking, and theres my future i hope - give me a real race! unfortunaly, im not completely brain dead, so wont be putting an 18 years young body through that for many years yet - but i do hav a strong desire to do the sherborne half at end of sseason..we'll see - not confirmed - all rumour!

Thanks for all the support on this forum, same as the last egroup, just esxcuse my spelling - im falling asleep writing this!

And Poetic justice!! I tauntingl ask u guys how the weather is and wake up to a big rain storm for my 3 hour ride this morning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: