Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Who will qualify for the Olympics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh, to be 18 again ---- (casts mind back and smiles Wink )
Just good to hear what you are upto Sam, and great that you decided to "go for it". Back to reality with uni next year (although is uni "reality" Rolling Eyes ) Shame about the rain ( Laughing )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah, justice! First the rugby now the weather - Australia's becoming English again! Twisted Evil
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article on tri-uk monday. you'd have to put your money on at least one aussie on the podium Evil or Very Mad

Dec-01

So, who'll win the Worlds...

Mark Cathcart, a regular contributor to the various triathlon discussion groups, has been doing some digging into the backgrouns of this year's World Championships at Queenstown. Apparently the number of competitors currently registered for the worlds in all categories, including elite and AWD (athletes with a disability) is currently 1,724. So, depsite the distance and probably buoyed-up by the prospect of seeing locations for Lord of the Rings, the number of competitors is up from last year, despite the lack of Clydesdale and citizens waves.

Of the major triathlon nations, the USA and the UK do seem to have bowed to the Olympics. While the Brits have registered a squad of three men in Jenkins, Johns (3rd in 2002) and Stannard, other potentials such as Don are missing (Ed: injured back, apparently, and where's Lessing or Hayes...). The same is true for the US camp. While they have perpetual standard distance stalwart for his country, Hunter Kemper, many of the others in the squad are relatively unknown.

Looking at Victor Plata's bio on the ITU web site makes you wonder why some people do it... Injuries: Attacked by rotwieller, attacked by llama, broken ribs, collapsed lung, torn foot, broken foot, broken femur, poison oak over most of his body, hit by three cars and one truck. Other: Never owned a car [Ed. Hardly surprising]

However, Australia have registered a full strength squad consisting of Courtney Atkinson, Greg Bennett, Chris Hill, Bryce Quirk, Peter Robertson and Miles Stewart. Many of the other nations also have their best representatives in, including Spain who have returning Champion Ivan Rana. In what could be construed as a shrewd move, many are hoping to strike gold early rather than wait and chance their hand at the Olympics!

In the womens elite the same doesn't seem to be the case; most of the top women seem to be there including the USA, Canada, Australia, Switzerland and Germany, with only the UK fielding what might be considered either a small squad or an under-strength team, even with the return of current World Champ Leanda Cave, allegedly in a nod towards Olympic success from WCP Director Maw.

As to who'll take the honours - your guess is probably as good as ours. First competition of the week will be the Aquathlon on Tuesday.

Nov-25
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, I'm "Jeremy Anderson" at triathlon_disscussion.

I know there was a bit of myth in my post, but I can't remember the facts, so I had to make it up!

It's good to see you weren't put off. I've just hit 32, and I've realised that. having just changed careers (to IT contracting), I wouldn't have missed much if I'd dedicated my twenties to something more sporty, instead of trying to build career from the get go.

Good luck at keep at it. I hope your university will allow you to keep going. (Where are you going/trying for? Loughborough of Bath sound good bets! Smile )

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: