Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
DaveM's Long DIUK report...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: DaveM's Long DIUK report... Reply with quote

DIUK report…Well here goes.

First saw this on a link on TriTalk last October. Didn’t take too long to decide to enter it, especially as there was only 2 spaces left. Originally there were only 24 entries.
I text Jacqui to say ‘Can I’ and the reply was ‘So long as I have a hotel Saturday night, yes’
So out came the credit card and in went the ‘submit’ button.

I don’t think she realised what she was letting herself in for, never mind me come race day!

I’d already entered Ironman Germany with a couple of mates and this was still to be my main focus of the year. I cobbled together some sort of training plan, taking what had worked in IM Austria in 2006 and for IM France the year before. The double was hopefully the icing on the cake for the season.

My main weakness was the run. And the Swim. And nutrition.
New Years eve saw my last drink. Apart from getting mashed once on 29th Feb when my partner and number one supporter Jacqui popped the question.

Over winter, I upped the running to volumes I could cope with without injury. Entered Luton Mara last December on the back on no training and got round in one piece. Also started training with the two Steves, who were pivotal in getting my ar$e out of bed at the weekend and on long runs. One was doing Roth and one was an ultra guy who was in training for a 24 hour ultra. Perfect.
In a bid to push the mileage up, one of the Steve’s suggested the Epney 50K in January. My first Ultra event. Managed to run all the way, albeit very slowly, but gave me the confidence I needed. Ultra cherry popped.
As a Christmas present to her indoors, I’d entered Valencia Marathon in February. Handy having in-laws living only 30 miles away. So combined a marathon with a trip abroad to see her family. So 3 weeks after Epney, I took 21 minutes off my Marathon PB. A now ‘respectable’ 3:21. Took great heart from this and did Ashby 20 in March , a race I’d done twice before and again another PB.

By April, the run mileage was ticking over at volumes not previously seen. What took a hit was the swimming volumes. I’d bought a second hand Endless Pool (as you do) in the January, but the building it was going in wasn’t quite ready. I had at the back of my mind that the swim would be okay. I’ll have the pool up and running soon… so skipped the swimming with Mansfield Tri and concentrated on getting the building finished and the pool installed. As a result, the three months of the year saw a total of 10K of swimming. Pants.

The bike has always been my strongest discipline, volume wise I’d planned a 20% uplift on what I’d do for a normal Ironman. What was different this year were two long bikes from Derby to Essex a 170 mile route which gave me an insight into how far 150+ miles were.

May saw the Tour of Wessex. 3 Days, 300 odd miles on the bike. I thought this would be ideal prep for both IMDE and DIUK. I was doing this on my old trek road bike that was starting to see its age. Sure enough on day one the seat post snapped. It was then that I knew that the boat would well and truly have to be pushed out and in came ‘El-Toro’ (A Scott Plasma Ltd tri bike)

It was only 5 weeks to IMDE and 9 weeks to the Double. Was this enough time to get dialled into a TT bike as opposed to the road bike I’d been using for the last 5 years?
It was used for the first time in Bala middle. First time I’d actually sat on it and it flew. I had no worries after that. Another PB, even on a longer course. And within 3 minutes of T_C. Result!

Germany came and went. 11:07. I was desperate to get under 11 but missed it due to gastric problems on the run. I’ve never felt so low after a race, even thought it was 23 minutes off my PB set in Austria. The focus was now on the double and with 4 weeks to go, I hadn’t really given it as much attention as I should have.
Since Germany, I’d done next to nothing. It was 4 weeks in between which should have been a weeks recovery, 2 weeks of more longish stuff and then a weeks taper. For one reason or another, it turned into a 4 week taper, so got to the startline feeling a little under trained.

In the immediate weeks beforehand, I questioned exactly WHY I was doing this. My regular lunchtime run partner at work, Scott soon had me refocused. He was one of the support crew without which I would have been sunk on race day.

A few panics the week before. Lights. Wheel choice. Nutrition plan. Race strategy.
So off onto Wiggle. Got some lights and when they arrived was a little disappointed with the light output. The backend of the bike was going to be interesting. Budget was already overstretched with the new bike.
The Tuesday before the race I was passing Lichfield. So had the bike in the boot, and the course maps.
Ended up running just one lap of the run course and driving the bike course as it was raining cats and dogs and blowing a gale. Should have done a lap with the wind as it was. Would have been good come race day.

Support crew were ready. Jacqui plus her two kids. Scott (aka Stump off RW and TT), Steve who had done Roth and ‘didn’t want to miss this for the world’ and Tony. A new friend I bumped into in the local pool last year and is in his first year in Tri.

Lichfield is only 35 minutes from home, so didn’t feel the need to have a hotel locally.

Tents were packed, half of Tesco seemed to be in the boot as well. In the end there was that much stuff we had to take two cars!

I’d gone down to race brief and met with putt putt and his helper scottg, doubleorquits, Reverend Graham and a few others (sorry if I’ve missed any off, my head is still mashed). Steve and Eddie were great. Put everyone at ease.
As usual, T_C was late !
Somehow T_C had arrived without a support crew. I don’t quite know how it transpired but the next minute I was offering someone from my crew to help out if required.

Race day. Alarm went off at 5:30. It was hammering down. Oh joy. I threw an extra rain jacket in just for good measure.
I was quiet, but on edge and a bit tetchy. Thankfully Jacqui has been here before and just left me to it.

Arrived at the site and racked my bike. Well I would have done if I’d remembered my helmet. Eddie was a saint and had the patience of Jobe.
Also hadn’t put my number on the brake cable. So off for another long trot to the car to dig out the race pack.
Also noted no-one was running a disc, so the decision to run with an old bonty race rear was probably vindicated. It was either that or a Zipp disc as my Spinergy deep section had gone bang a few weeks beforehand.

Managed to rack the bike and then set about putting the tent up.
T_C arrived. Right where can I put my stuff? I’ve forgot to pack my tent. Unbelievable. No Crew and No tent.
I guess I took pity on him and said he could have the west wing (one of the pods) of Chez Villa.
(not sure if we win the biggest tent competition?) must have been a close one.
With 6 support crew, I figured we needed ‘space’ so a late desicision was made to bring the 9 man tent and a gazebo.

Faffed about for quite a while, had more tucker an hour before the swim started.
I think it was when I got pool side and put my wettie on that the whole thing hit me and I had a few tears in my eyes. Here I am. About to start the biggest adventure of my life. I’ve been fortunate enough to rub shoulders and compete with the worlds best in Kona, but this was something else.

I got into the lane and shook hands with the two others, decided on the running order to set off in.
Didn’t really matter as after two lengths I had to stop and tighten the goggles up!

I stopped every 15-20 minutes or so for a drink and give the lane counter an extra task of telling me how far I’d gone every time I stopped. Kept him on his toes!

Clearly there was one guy far faster than me. Every 4 lengths I’d get a tap and move over at the end of the lane.

After 40 minutes or so I saw my brother and family arrive in the seats which lifted my spirits. He’s never been to a race to spectate and said afterwards that it was about time he did!

I got to 4K and needed the loo. So out I got, stripped my wettie to half way. Some of the spectators thought I’d finished after 1:30 and applauded. I laughed and just went about my ‘business’

The last 3K was a battle. Every time I pushed off the wall I got shooting cramps in my calves. I was stopping every few lengths to get more fluids in and stretch the calves out.
Steve was a star, asking if I was okay and to make sure I had enough fluids.

Swim was finally over in 2:44. About what I was expecting. What I wasn’t expecting was T_C following me into the changing room!.

Out to the bike. T_C shot up the bikes like a scolded cat, I think he wanted to get over the timing mat in front of me.

The original plan was to have a bite to eat before getting on the bike. Revised plan was to stop after lap two for a bowl of pasta which gave the support crew enough time to stoke up the stove!

First two laps went well. The wind and terrain were helping on the way out, then hit you on the way back. The wind was unabaiting. At least the rain had stopped. Kept a good average (for me) of 19’s for the first two. Stopped for 10 minutes to scoff the pasta the crew got ready for me.
Modified plan was then to stop for a bowl of rice after lap 5.
Out on the course everyone seemed to be in the zone. Except T_C who was grinning like a Cheshire cat every time we passed. There would be a few nods to other competitors and then back to the relentless pedalling.
One tip I’d picked up (Thanks IronSam) was to put pipe insulation on the bars to stop the hands hurting so much. Worked a treat.
After about lap 5, the last member of the support crew eventually turned up (he’d got mashed the night before). So stopped for rice, a pint of milk and jaffa cakes.
Next stop was on lap 8, half way for a bacon omelette. Not sure what happened, but I arrived back after 8 laps to be told, what? Your stopping now? So went out for another lap To be honest it was a blessing in disguise as I figured there was enough light for another lap.

Got to half way in 6 hours ride time plus 20 minutes for two stops, way inside the schedule I’d set myself.

Suggested I pushed on and stop again on lap 14 for more grub. On the outward lap of lap 12 I was hungry again. So stopped and called in my order. Corn Flakes. Be there in 10 minutes. Dutifully the crew were there at the turn round with a bowl of corn flakes.
It was slicker than a Ferarri F1 Pit stop!

It was dark. The lights weren’t really cutting the mustard. Probably my biggest mistake was not having sufficient lights. I lost count of the number of pot holes I was now finding. The undercarriage wasn’t in the best shape and could have done without it!

Next few laps I could see the average start to drop. Not by much, but it was a battle to keep the pedals turning. At least the wind had dropped by this point.
The back was aching and the knees started playing up. Just two more laps left. Luckily it was a scheduled pit stop for Oxtail soup and bread. From memory I think it was a longer stop than the others. Popped a couple of ibuprofens to help manage the back ache.
Went wearily back out on the course. There weren’t a lot of people left out on the course at 1AM. Occasionally you would see a light in the distance. No words were said at this time of night. Just respect for the other athlete still grinding it out.

Last two laps were a battle mainly to keep awake. I’m sure at one point I saw pink fluffy bunnies. Maybe I did? Who knows.
I got off the bike just before 3 in the morning. Scott was still up. Most of the others were in bed.
I needed an hours kip to re-couperate. There was no way I could walk yet alone contemplate running 52 miles.
I set my alarm for 4:15 and drifted off. Bizzarely I could hear the beep of the timing mat. Must have been Towel, Hanno and some of the early group.
How I got out of the tent at 4:15 I’ll never know. Scott woke me up just before the alarm went off saying it was 4:15. Not by my phone alarm it wasn’t and was being a pedantic sod that I can be at times. a minute later it went off and crawled out of my pit.

He had a coffee ready and I walked the first lap of the course in my cycling gear supping it.

Got back to the camp in 18 minutes. Changed into my run gear and set off on a very steady pace. First few laps were a bit of a blur. Walked up the hill and run through the woods. Repeat.
I power walked the 6th lap by which time the light was good enough to take off the hi-vis and head torch.

I learned that a few had dropped out. I felt for them, especially Rev Graham.
Pit stop on lap 7 for coffee and toast and took 2 tins of red bull and sank them on the way round. Seemed to perk me up a bit.

Saw Poet out on the course and had a quick chat with him.

Not sure where to put this, but the Marshall’s and guys on the feed station were fantastic. To see them after 18+ hours still cheery and handing out stuff was stupendous.

‘Ran’ the first half mara in 2:45. Picked up a little in the second half and did this in 2:10 or thereabouts, so more than happy with a sub 5 hour first mara.
T_C was offering his usual advice. ‘Slow down’ Don’t blow a gasket. There’s a long way to go. Sometimes he can be annoying!

The original plan was to finish. If possible sub 32 hours.
By lap 15-18 I figured if I push on then a sub 30 might be on the cards. I was doing maths in my head trying to work out how many laps in so many hours to go sub 30 is….? 20 minutes said Tony.

Got to the second half of the run in good sprits. 21 laps. Break that down into 10 lots of two laps. By this time the TT and Pirate support crews were in good cheer. Trev was back into his role of Mr Motivator. Great when he said ‘last lap’. Errm no Trev I have 10 more.
I recall doing an Oggy Oggy on one of the laps which took every one by surprise!

I ground out the next few laps. Cheered on others where I could. Noreseman Dave was great. Exchanging pleasantries on most laps.

Some were power walking. Others just walking. Some like Putt Putt and Brian (EnduranceUK) and Daz were flying. Where they got the energy I don’t know.

I started to tire a little. I asked Scott to run a lap with me. Then Lewis (one of Jacqui’s Kids) then Steve did a turn. Then Tony. This went of for a good few laps and I was happy to get some moral support.

5 laps left, then 4 then 3. I knew I’d be well under 30 hours.
Last lap came and changed into my Mansfield Tri Kit.
I high fived every one and thanked each and every marshall. Got to the turn round point and they said theres a guy not too far ahead. You can catch him. Scott who was with me on the last lap said ‘a kill is a kill’. That was it… out of the blocks and was sprinting up the hill and passed him by the bus stop. I kept going not wanting to be overtaken again!

The last lap was probably my fastest!

Got the finish. Took a bow.

Saw Jacqui in tears as I crossed. I started to blub as well.

Steve shook me by the hand. Congratulations he said, placed the medal over my head and handed me the priceless Finishers T-Shirt.

To be honest the winners of this is Endurance UK, and long distance triathlons in the UK.
Steve, Eddie, Trev and anyone associated with this event are heroes.

I would just like to add my thanks to all my support crew, all those on TT who have given words of wisdom, to the two Steve’s and Scott for helping me on the running.
And a special thanks to my long suffering other half without which I would not have got to the start line, never mind the finish.

Congrats to all the others that reached their dreams. For those that didn't make it this time, there will be other times....

Last edited by Davem on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mo nique

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Dave, will see you at the next big thing? maybe?
Cleo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Top report, too.
Clap
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Dave especially all the T_C references, I would have made the scrounging sod sleep in the rain friday night Wink Very Happy

I didn't realise you were a Mansfield Tri bod.

Well done,

NT Very Happy Very Happy
putt putt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report - didnt know about the kip! That explains things. I was thinking about you after I finished and hoping you were ok. You seemed fine but had slowed up so I realised something not great.

As for where I got the energy to run - (a) I have to be good at something! and (b) wait until you see our bike splits then you will realise!
Bainsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many congratulations Dave - its not good for me reading all these DIUK reports..........thoughts are popping into my head !!!!

RESPECT

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
savaloy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant Dave and top man for sticking with it after your disappointment of IMDE
jim66

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top job Dave and well done for getting through it. I know Germany was a let down for you as I didn't turn up and you had no one to race against but there is always next year. Anyway see the Critique this Training Plan thread for further advice.
Stay well mate
Jim
Slacko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff Dave. I remember commenting to Mrs S that out of everyone on the run, you looked the freshest all the way through - bet it didn't feel that way though!!
Davem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacko wrote:
Excellent stuff Dave. I remember commenting to Mrs S that out of everyone on the run, you looked the freshest all the way through - bet it didn't feel that way though!!

You guys did a great job of supporting. I guess the walk back up the hill on most laps meant I could 'run' through the transition area!

Rolling Eyes
pip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, total respect. Really well done and congratulations on getting married (i did read that bit right didn't i?).
Davem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip wrote:
Wow, total respect. Really well done and congratulations on getting married (i did read that bit right didn't i?).

erm yes Pip... Jacqui popped the question on 29th Feb. She beat me to it as I was going to ask her at the finish either here or after IMDE.

Wedding was set for 1st August next year. Then realised it sort of clashed with IMA. Rolling Eyes

So new date set for April next year....

She's a star!
pip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davem wrote:
pip wrote:

erm yes Pip... Jacqui popped the question on 29th Feb. She beat me to it as I was going to ask her at the finish either here or after IMDE.

Wedding was set for 1st August next year. Then realised it sort of clashed with IMA. Rolling Eyes

So new date set for April next year....

She's a star!

That's great Smile
Badger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done davem, utterly fantastic. You make it sound easy! Stupendous achievement.

B Cool
scottg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dave Cool

And you always had a smile on the run and I seem to remember a little jig over the timing mat on one lap Very Happy

blog here
Athlinks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: