Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Pinksally's DIUK 2008 report amended!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Pinksally's DIUK 2008 report amended!!! Reply with quote

Pinksally’s Race Report - ‘From the Other Side of the Track.’

Well, here is my very, very, very (Rev G told me to say that…..) race report. I tried to keep it short but I failed miserably! I suppose in a way it was inevitable as I am, in a way, reporting on the race not just for myself, but also for most of the athletes that I remember supporting too. I have put in the occasional heading so that if you want to skip straight to race day then by all means feel free! There are also quite a few piccies in here too so at least that is an excuse for the length of my script…..ooooer. Yeah, you guys do extreme sports, I do Extreme Writing!!

Pre-race.
It seems like such a long time ago now that Graham (Reverend Graham to you guys) uttered those immortal words to me “They’re putting on a Double Ironman.”……. First of all, I wasn’t too sure who ‘they’ were and I didn’t know when or where it would be, one thing I did know though was that Graham would be putting his name on the list!

I can vaguely remember giving an inward groan at thinking that I would, once again, be playing second fiddle to a 20 year obsession, then I got to thinking ‘This will be the first of it’s kind in the UK, I want to be a part of this in some small way at least.’ So, once my head was around the idea, I was happy to support Graham in his quest for this next goal.

Though I am was not able to do much on the physical support side for Graham, due to one thing and another, I read what I could about ultra-distance training, nutrition and sports psychology and began ‘lurking’ on the TriTalk forum. I got used to the blank looks on my friends faces when I told them the distances that Graham would be doing, as well as laughing of remarks such as ‘He’s fu**ing mad!!’/ ‘What? That’s not possible!’/ ‘Why?!’ etc etc.

The trips to the cycle shop to buy the next gadget, cycle top, shoe plates were a regular in our calendar. I became ‘Coach ‘Zilla’, or ‘Godzilla Robinson’ for my part in researching and backing Graham - the regular Sunday lunch team at the family pizzeria were part of the questions and answers team - How did the training go this week? How are you feeling? Have you had your regular sports massage?- discussions on ‘clean’ calories (I know, in a pizzeria!!) and other adjustments in diet and strength training all became the norm’ for not just myself, but other friends too. I pushed the thoughts of potential injuries/accidents/illnesses etc to the back of my mind - he may not admit to this, but his age does go against him and G has become more injury prone of late….bless!

Thankfully Graham also had another great support in the, rather tall, shape of Paul Thompson, a school mate of mine that had come over to see Graham compete in the 2005 Ironman and (I just knew by the look in his eye and his quiet presence that he was instantly hooked!) had competed in an Ironman with G a year later, also completing Lanza earlier this year alongside another mate of ours, Dickie (Richard Ginn - that’s pronounced ‘Jin’- did the Double too). He had decided to do the Double just by saying calmly, ‘Yeah, I’m up for that.’ And grinning apparently! The three of them really are a bad (or good, whichever way you look at it) influence on each other!! Tony Raynor, another Double competitor, joined us occasionally for a chat too.

Note; A workmate of Graham was so taken by the thought of a triathlon that she asked him to teach her to swim, he taught her the ‘Swim Smooth’ technique and, 4 months later she completed her first sprint, followed by the Woodhall Spa Sprint later on, where her husband decided to compete too…..detecting a theme here?!

So, here we were, all involved in one way or another…..some of us in more depth than others and most of us quite willing, most of the time at least!

Nearer to the event I was so glad that I had read so much stuff on state of mind/mental attitude, it came in handy whenever Graham had any self doubts or needed another brain boost. Even to some of the athletes, I guess that doing a race like this (even if they have done several Ironman distance tri’s) can be mind-blowing at times. Sometimes all that was needed was a friendly pat on the back and, ‘It’s okay to be nervous, that’s natural, it’s what you DO about it that counts.’ Other times took a ‘good listening to’ and a nod in the right places until the storm and passed.

As far as my prep’ for the race went, I forced myself to go on a trip to the USA (heh…..) with a mate so that I could get used to the feeling of ‘jet-lag’ that usually accompanies these lengthy do’s (oh, had a great time by the way!). I then, purely for research purposes you understand………, went to a music festival in Malmesbury and danced for the best part of 4 days, just to get me used to the physical side of things…….. (I love to dance, albeit badly!). I also cooked a batch of the high protein flapjack up for G and the guys, burnt my finger doing it too……bugger…….Recipe on request, burn optional………

The trip
As the day rolled nearer, travel arrangements were made - after communication errors were ironed out! One support guy had to bail due to family emergency but supported the event by text. Graham and me were to go down in his car with our mate, Steve, G driving to keep his mind off the race, Steve co-piloting along with Joe Pesci on the Tom-Tom…… ‘second exit you fu**ing balloon head!’…..me, well, I was sandwiched amongst race gear and camping gear on the back seat so I decided to rest ready for the support marathon that was about to begin…….

Only once did ‘Mr Nasty’ come out in the trip, when we were ‘misplaced’ and couldn’t find the Esporta centre. G needed to turn around to get out of the way of other cars, I made an exception for the sake of race nerves, so didn’t take it personally when he shouted at me! Felt a bit sorry for our Steve though; I don’t think he’s ever seen G nervous and angry before. A local guy loading a white van soon pointed us the right way and we were sorted. We arrived in plenty of time for a coffee and a toilet stop and G apologised for the shouting, bless again…. After a pit stop to find out where everything would be at the race briefing, we went on the lookout for food….. Not much was on offer so I went against my better judgement and walked over to McSh1t with G and Steve and had a veggie wrap thing which was the nearest thing to real food that I think they had! A much better class of Maccy D’s than the ones we have in Cleethorpes though, they bring the food over to you!!! In Cleethorpes you have to loiter suspiciously until they scream your order has arrived……class…….

We then popped over to the Leisure Centre to meet up with Paul and crew as he had had problems with his camper and daren’t switch the engine off! Joe Pesci took us the long way round, something to do with being programmed with fastest route rather than shortest……though you fellas understood technology and gadgets?! Anyway, met Paul who was accompanied by his race crew - Mrs, Steph, lads Josh and Fin and Steph’s sister, Louise. Dickie had also arrived there, so it was greetings, handshakes and hugs all round, great stuff! The camper problem was sorted and Paul risked turning the engine off and back on again ready to go over to Esporta for the race briefing.

The Briefing.
I could see that Graham was itching to meet the rest of the competitors and to make links with other TTers that he had not met on the circuit before. I was just hoping that the hotel and/or camping arrangements had been sorted for that night as I am not a happy camper without at least 3 hours of kip! The race briefing was good and there was a lot of laughter and camaraderie already, a good sign. I was also relieved at the amount of assistance that the crew would be allowed to give the athletes, I wasn’t looking forward to having to shout the marshals every time I wanted to pass G some food or a drink, knew they would have other things to do. It was only then that I began to realise that I was actually getting apprehensive myself, I felt the atmosphere and the nerves/excitement in that room and I was right there! Someone suggested a group photo (good idea - something I wanted to suggest but didn’t have the guts! Bless me, I am shy really….) and we all trailed outside to get organised, or at least try - I was pleased when someone else took control and ordered people into places so that they could all be squeezed into the shot as, once again, I didn’t have the guts to be bossy at that point, I was saving my bossiness for the next day or two…….

Reverend Graham, Paul (Prometheus) on his right, Richard Ginn (Dickie)slightly behind to his left and Paul (Deke) at the back.

Almost all of the competitors, historic shot!

(G is in the green hat furthest away, Stuey is giving final instructions poolside, I liked the touch about not peeing in the pool!)
I was impressed by the amount of people they had doing the swim laps counting, not a job I would like I tell you, have seen a few grim faces and heard sharp words when laps have been miscounted….not nice. A big thanks goes to all of them.

(Stuey, Swim Director - sorry it’s not a great pic’ of you!!! Like the knees though……)
[img]
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/userpix/14010_DIMUK_2008_025_2.jpg[/img]

A, very poor, shot of G pushing off for another lap.
I tried to get some photo’s of G but, not only was he a way away, my hands were still a little shaky, bless me…….also, he moves a bit quick in the pool…..I know, I know, a poor workman always blames his tools!!! Anyway, here he is at the turn.
Stew came over grinning at one point and said, “He’s in the lead!” - I was so chuffed that I didn’t know what to say so I think I just grinned back then managed “Excellent…..” at one point.

At G’s next pit stop, Stew said something along the lines of “Just carry on doing what you are doing, you’re in the lead mate.” I couldn’t make out the expression on G’s face but I just hoped that that info wasn’t going to mess up his pace. It didn’t! The lane marshal was there to tap G in the head to let him know that he had 2 laps to go. G then pushed off from the wall so hard that he got a cramp in his calf!!!! He stood up in the lane and looked in agony as he tried to flex his leg out. I held my breath and my thoughts went very jumbled for a few seconds until NorsemanDave stopped and pushed G’s foot back for him to stretch out the cramp, within seconds he was on his way, phewww!! As G was preparing to leave the pool Stuey said something like “For those of you that know Graham, he will be absolutely impossible to live with from now on!”…..heh heh…..how right you are!

It was then that one of the moments that I dread as crew……..the race plan went out of the window. I could see by the way that G came running over to me saying, “Where’s my gear?” that he had forgotten all of the earlier arrangements - you know, ‘I’ll take it easy, change in the tent.’ etc……… Luckily Steve, our other crew member, was waiting by the tent to help G out when Steve (Race Director) shouted over to him. Apparently G was almost in tears when he didn’t find his kit in the changing area……so, when Dickie took my digicam round and said ‘Sally wants you to say a couple of words.’ the reply ‘F*ck off, is that enough?!’ was heard quite clearly………………………..

I was pleased to see G out on his bike successfully and was very aware that he was rushing. Stew had said that he knew how good getting out of the water and onto the bike first felt so I was sure that G would settle down a bit once someone overtook him on the road. I was still very pleased and proud though, G was Race Leader (has a great ring to it doesn’t it?!) for 2hrs and 40mins. Yeah! The next time I saw G he had just completed his first bike lap and I went over to say hi and pass him some food. He was still a little harassed and the stop was very brief.

Myself I was feeling a little out of phase by now, the not so many hours sleep the night before, nerves and a not so good breakfast, i.e., none, were telling their toll…..off to the Refreshments hut went I. In there was a lovely lady, Chris, that I had a bit of a chat with as she furnished Steve and I with tea, toast and a bacon butty respectively. I was even able to give her some travel advice for her grown up kids, as they were taking her grandkids over to, of all places, Cleethorpes!!! A thoroughly nice lady and good to chat to, as well as doing most of baking for the event herself - the bakewell slices were excellent.

Paul and Dickie were in the 2nd wave, due to start at 10am, Steve hung around by the tent so that G had someone on hand should he need anything. I went poolside again to take pics and cheer them on. Both of them had popped in to see G swim and they had got a taste of what it was going to be like when they started on their DoubleIron journey. The waiting must have been hard for them; the anticipation was bad enough for the guys in the first wave, but to have to wait until 10am when you have been up since 3.30am? Ouch!

I watched both Paul and Dickie slip into the ‘thousand yard stare’ that I have come to know and love/hate/dread. They stood side by side in lanes that were next to each other. Both of them managed a thumbs up or a wave so I was confident that they were still breathing anyway……… Their start went without a hitch and I filmed them completing their first couple of laps. I went back over to Steve and awaited G’s next visit to the ‘athletes’ village’ as it was being dubbed.

Dickie setting up his swim refreshments.

Some of the other spectators/
Supporters poolside.

4hrs 25mins into the race and G was still buzzing that he had been first out of the swim, and he was still lying 4th or 5th at that point. Luckily though, he had started to calm down a little and go back towards his original race plan; gels every other lap with ‘solids’ (means a totally different thing to me in my line of work……euwwww) every other, a drink every 15 mins and to fill the bottles up every time he came in. The flapjack went down well, even ended up supplying Paul and Dickie with some, yes, I am an oat pusher…….

I filmed the area that we were camping in whilst waiting for the next batch of swimmers to come out. By now there were quite a few supporters around, I greeted the neighbours and, over the day, had a good chat to some of them. Hi to Paul from Peterborough and his family, glad you enjoyed the fish and chips!!

When Paul came out of the swim in 2nd place (yeah, result! Another good one for the South Humberside International Triathletes…….) to the bike transition it was clear just how excited and proud of him his son, Fin, was, he had laid out a stall of gels for Paul outside the tent and now he was poised ready to help in any way, which even included him being allowed into the tent where Paul was changing to pick up his wetsuit! Access All Areas eh? Good for him, and a great job he did too. Fin has even competed in a Tri himself and both him and Josh have decided to do the Aquathon at the Big Woody, so, watch those names for world domination at some point……

When G came in on the next lap he had had some pain in his right calf and stopped off at the massage tent - at least that’s what he tells me……hmmm. I, not being one to miss an opportunity, went into the tent and filmed him getting some massage therapy off a very nice guy, Simon - thanks to him G didn’t need to stop for that again. G promised that if I could find ice-cream for the next lap of the bike he would allow me to do whatever I wanted to his body for 2 hours after the race…….. I said that that sounded like I was getting a raw deal!!! G enjoyed the bike section. We, as crew, enjoyed chatting to the guys and reminding them to eat and drink, as well as trying to stay awake ourselves.

Another member of our posse, Lisa, turned up at about 11.15am from Leicester, to join in the heckling, and my dancing began……at last, a dance partner as I think that Fin was a little too embarrassed that early in the day. Steve was feeling a bit knackered at about noon so took himself off to doze in the car while Lisa and I danced on trackside.

90mile or so into the race, G had a rest as the headwind was taking its toll. He was in good spirits though so I wasn’t worrying at this point. It was actually quite nice to see so much of the athletes as they came in, especially those that we knew, it helped to relieve the boredom that is usually involved for the supporters at long distance events, and gave us the opportunity to see how our respective spouses, friends and/or family felt whilst they were racing.

Also - drum roll- I discovered Red Bull!!!!! Yay, no need for me to sleep ever again!!!! I was starting to flag a bit and as Steve (race director) was handing out some of the 1,000 cans of free Red Bull he was given for the event, it seemed rude not to assist him in reducing the beverage mountain, also, I needed extra energy to support G and to keep dancing!

It seemed like the day was an endless stream of;
1. asking what G wanted,
2. furnishing him with liquids or solids, as per his request,
3. coming up with new ideas so that he didn’t get too bored with what was on offer,
4. pre-empting what he might need for when he got in on his next lap,
5. drying out sweat wetted clothes over the tent in the sun,
6. organising the kit in the race bags and fetching and the occasional massage treatment by the tent
All in a good day’s work for a race team crew! Thankfully, as the weather was fantastic for most of the day, our job was much easier than I remember some of the events being - it is so draining trying to keep an athletes spirits up when it is peeing it down with rain and your spirits are in the basement too.

A tired Josh and Louise waiting to cheer Paul on at his next pit stop. The well organised Pirates crew members are in the background.

As the light started to dim I expected that peoples moods would dim a little too but there was none of that. Some of the crew that needed it went for rests/sleep/toilets whenever they could and the rest of us kept each other entertained. By this time there had been one, if not two DNF’s although they were reported as staying around to help cheer the other competitors, this is what I still like about the sport, the way the athletes support each other without any visible hierarchy (Archie who?).
Steve and Eddie began stopping people to tell them to put their hi vis’ vests and lights on. I noticed that they also looked into the triathletes’ eyes, possibly to check that they were ‘all there’ - jury’s still out on that one for some guys……. As it was getting dark and G’s night vision is not so good, he could no longer see the time on his bike speedo, so I rang his mobile every 15mins so it would buzz for him to remind him to drink., he said it worked well, maybe he was getting some sort of strange pleasure from the vibrating of the phone? He didn’t tell me what pocket he’d put it in after all……

It was quite obvious that the temperature was dropping very quickly at about 11.30pm and I began to sort out cold weather gear for G for the rest of the bike section, even though he only had 6 laps to go by now, it would be pretty hard going when he got cold. After putting on some lag warmers G went off out on yet another lap.

It was on the next stop that it was obvious that things weren’t too good. G was shaking uncontrollably and he said he couldn’t feel his fingers. We wrapped him in a sleeping bag (from Louise, Paul’s sister-in-law) and he sipped hot drinks but he was still shivering up a storm. Eddie and Steve came over and one of them recommended that he go into the tent and get warm in a sleeping bag for an hour rather than waste his energy shivering - I’m so glad that it came from them as the thought had crossed my mind and I was just trying to think of how I would put it to G without him feeling like it was admitting defeat. Once I got a very cold and slightly whingey (understandably) G in the bag, Eddie walked over to me and said, “Don’t ask him if he wants to pull out of the race while he is in the sleeping bag as he will definitely say no. Get him up and walking around so that he can make the decision on his feet as he won’t want to go out again once he is warm and comfy in the bag.’ I appreciated his suggestion and support and tried to remain positive myself - I had seen a couple of other athletes go into their tents for a warm-up or sleep and they had returned to the course, so why shouldn’t G do it too? I still couldn’t shake off the sinking feeling but knew that I couldn’t let on the G.

I busied myself by talking to people, helping Steph etc with Paul’s support and keeping an eye on Dickie while his ‘bitch’ (heh) was sleeping and taking a turn on the ‘Nutrition Stand’ while there was a volunteer change-over, meaning most of the cadets had had to go off to bed and the instructors were there a bit short-handed.

A slow hour ticked by and I didn’t relish the job that I had to do next……. I woke G up and asked how he felt, “I’m not going on.” He said and made to go back to sleep, I tried 3 times to get him out of the sleeping bag so that he could make a more informed decision when he had woken up a bit, but he wouldn’t have it, that is, until I said “Eddie told me not to let you decided in the sleeping bag.” And that was it - thanks Eddie, glad he takes notice of you, even when you aren’t there.

As 'Mrs Rev Graham' it was the hardest thing to do, wake G up and walk him around knowing that he would probably have to pull off the course. He began shaking again almost as soon as he stepped out of the tent, it was not looking good. I shook my head at Lisa and Steve to let them know that I thought this was it. Steve met us over the other side by the nutrition stand and suggested we go see the Dr and see what he said, he even came with us I think, sorry if am vague, it was an emotional moment for me too.

The doc took G’s pulse, asked him a few questions and said that he could try sleeping for another couple of hours but that he wasn’t prepared to let G back on the bike as it would be too dangerous. For G this was reality setting in, he looked up at me and I said, “Are you still having fun?”, “No.” he answered, “That’s it.” He said, and that was the end of the race for G. The Dr had done the best thing and had allowed G, with a little persuasion, the dignity to make the decision himself. Even on the way back to the tent, he was getting his rational head on, “I don’t want to do any damage to myself, this way I will still be able to race again this season maybe.” He was still shaking quite violently and I helped him undress, put him into warm compression leggings and top for recovery, and finally tucked him up into his bag for the night.

I too did all the 'what ifs' after the decision had been made, what if I had forced him to change clothing when I thought he should, what if I had given him hot soup one lap earlier, what if I ….etc, etc. I am so glad that I was made welcome in the nutrition tent as an unofficial helper; it kept me busy and stopped me moping! I didn’t want to sit around feeling, not only sorry for myself and the year that, I too, had invested in this race, but also sorry for G and how gutted he would feel when he woke up. I needed to be busy so thought that if I could no longer help G with his race, I would try and do my bit to help some others.

So, I had some more cans of the amazing elixir that is Red Bull!!! 4hrs sleep in 3 days and I still had wings, albeit leathery, bat-like ones rather than fluffy, feathery ones…….

I really enjoyed my time on the Nutrition tent, handing out water, gels, High 5 and anything else that was around. I had a good laugh with the cadet instructors (big thanks to them, not only for keeping me awake, but for sharing my sick sense of humour!) and some of the athletes, the rest, bless ‘em, looked almost asleep on their feet! It is amazing how people can push their bodies through the limits.

I was a little freaked at a couple of points by Towel though…..It seemed that every time he came in to take food etc from his race crew, as he left (usually at an unbelievable pace!) his eyes met mine and I was given full effect of his steely glare…..I even joked with the female instructor that I would like to change places with her the next time he came in to see if he looked through/at her the same way, just so that I could reassure myself that it was not me! We did swap, and Towel didn’t look!!! She spent the next half hour saying, “It IS you!” just to wind me up, cheers!! At least we had fun, and, don’t worry Mr. Towel, I know it was nothing to do with me, but thanks for freaking me out enough to keep me awake!

Several guys mentioned that they wondered if they were a little dehydrated so we had discussions about urine colour etc. Where else can you ask complete strangers the colour of their urine and find they had no problem telling you! Some even thanked me! Great stuff!

Going through the night was tough, more so for knowing that my fella was having to sleep off his race in the tent across the way from me. I did, however, realise that probably the first words he would emit the next day would be along the lines of, ‘I’m doing it next year/It’s not beating me’ and so on.

It was fun, cold and quite informative to work all the way through the night too. I got to meet more of the competitors than I would normally do, even get on first name terms with quite a few of them (not to mention knowing what colour their pee was…..) and was pleased to still be around the next morning to cheer them over the finish line. G was asleep in the tent, our Steve was asleep in the car, Lisa was asleep in her sleeping bag - outdoors!!- and I was asleep on my feet! Thank goodness for the…….yes, you know…….RB!

G emerged from the tent at about 7am I think - I was in full flow on the RB so I had energy to share. Sure enough, one of the first or second sentences he said was ‘I’m not going to let this beat me so I am putting my name down for next year.’……ahhhhh, predictable but reassuring. G chatted about how the race was for him and, although disappointed about not finishing this time, his resolve was still strong and he did his bit by clapping and shouting for the other athletes even though each lap of their entry and exit from the filed he uttered, “That should be me.” under his breath. I just reminded him that it would be one day, and that he was Race Leader for over 4hrs or had he forgotten that?!!

Black frogs and Jesus……..
G said that whilst he was out on the bike in the dark, his mind and eyes were up to their usual tricks - he thought he saw dozens of small, black frogs running across the road in front of him and he felt like he was going to run over them and squash them which, he’s a sensitive soul really, would have upset him. When there were no squashed frog noises he realised it was his imagination. He was also freaked out a couple of times by the Barn Owl - they don’t call them screech owls for nothing! He looked up at one point and saw something in the distance that looked like a person…….then he saw the white robe and as he got closer, the shape looked like Jesus with his arms out!!! Closer still, errr, it was actually a white house….! Bless him, his eyes are bad……

We lent a hand to a Dickie and Paul, so that there crew could get some rest. Dickie had been having a bit of trouble on the run and G encouraged him with rice pudding. G accompanied him on a couple of laps to keep his spirits up. I even came out of ‘retirement’ myself to do a lap with him at one point, not realising that it was his penultimate lap, and felt really privileged that he didn’t just tell me to p1ss off! It also gave me a minute insight of what you guys had all experienced on the run. Those steps into the woods must have been a b1tch, especially when the legs are tired…..respect.

Paul, at one point, also didn’t look too brilliant. He had begun to resemble a Pillar of Salt after ingesting too many gels and not enough water! He was directed to the water pot several times after that and soon started to look better, even like he was enjoying himself!

Paul chatting to his Mrs, Steph, on a lap of the run.

Paul was easily tempted with a cup of tea and a pair of clean, dry socks, he was very grateful when dawn arrived as he said he felt like the night was never going to end. He too had heard the screeching of the barn owl, so at least I was reassured that it was real and not just another of G’s auditory hallucinations.

It was great to see Towel finishing so strongly and I know that Josh and Fin were very impressed too. I had cheered Hanno on too overnight and really admired the pace that he kept up on the run, he looked so comfortable, even though inside that may not have been the case, he never showed it. Daz was also a great athlete to watch, he seemed to sprint the last few laps of the run - how did he do it? Lisa was more than a little impressed…..her comments won’t appear here though! Heheh……..

By now it was good to see that there were lots more supporters on hand. I had quite enjoyed the ‘graveyard shift’ though, it really did feel like we had the athletes to ourselves, strange, I know, but that is the only way I can describe it. It also gave me an insight into how committed the race directors were at making sure that each competitor had the best race possible, and kept themselves healthy and safe whilst doing so. Steve, Eddie and Lucy were even there to support the supporters in a way too, I was touched by how concerned they were whenever anyone had to pull off the race, a lovely personal touch.

I felt for the Cadets too, bless their tired looking faces! I am especially grateful to the Cadet instructors, whose names I didn’t get, for joining in with me and my heckling/support/croaking at all times of the night and morning, they kept me going - I even wondered if they found me annoying but the grips of the RB excludes me from any responsibility!

Paul finished well and looked very strong. A big hug to Steph and family, then over to G, and me too, he was very emotional and hugged me so hard that he squeezed a tear out of my eyes…….that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it! Well done on 12th overall I believe!

Watching Dickie come in was great as he had renewed vigour, getting him to visualise the finish and all the high 5’s he would get on the finishing straight on the lap I did with him helped I hope. I suffered a bit for it but it was worth it to see his mile wide grin as he finished! Sadly, the bl00dy digicam ran out of battery!!!! Argh! Sorry mate, but hope the other pics people took of you were enough to mark the moment - fecking technology, great when it works innit? A respectable 13th place too, congrats, another blummin hero chuck!

Namechecks and inspirations.
I was very inspired by a guy called Martin who did the whole run at a very fast walk pace - mainly due to the lonnnnggggg length of his legs, we worked out that he had almost a 2metre stride! - as he had a knee strapped up, and also Phil, the RAF guy, who used a fast walk pace due to 2 dodgy knees, gives me hope, me and my ‘glass back’. Rod, a lovely guy who it was a pleasure to have a few words with after he had finished the race, even getting the mini interview on digicam. I had seen him through the night in varying shades of grey, white and blue, so it was great to see him finish and become a healthy looking pink again! Monique, Claire and Fay were all amazing too. Three very different ladies and athletes, but all completed the course well and happy - especially Fay, whose smile never seemed to waver, even when she was in pain. Tony Raynor was another of our local athletes, supported for the most part by his parents, who looked like they would burst with emotion when he finished, I even got a bit of a lump in my throat myself, seeing them watching him more than anything. Toyota Crown was another fellow TTer that G pointed out to me, I remember him from the overnight section when he said our bin was on the wrong side of the nutrition stand! Heheh! Sorry TC, you were referred to as ‘The Bin Man’ in one of my digicam bits as I didn’t know your name/moniker then!
Paul (Prometheus), even got out of our sleeping bags to see you in! Well worth it too, Stuey had returned and, after keeping us entertained with amusing stories (write a book Stew, please!), came over to our tents and shouted us awake to see Paul in.

Look forward to cheering you all on again at other races too, it was a pleasure.

Every time someone finished, whoever it was, and the crowd and organisers did the ‘High Fives’ for them, it brought a lump to my throat, a tear to my eye and a glow to my heart! I know sentimental old thing aren’t I? I have seen many races over the 20 years I have been along with G, and this one definitely ranks as one of the best, particularly for the spirit of all involved. Even as a 'by-sitter' I really enjoyed the event.

Okay, I know, not a tri related picture but I couldn’t resist it! - a cute puppy asleep at the Hedgehog pub down the road where we had a meal after the race. Altogether now, awwwwwww…………

So, my thanks go to you, Steve, Eddie, Lucy and Stew, for putting together and directing the event, not just that, but for showing how personal it was to you all and how dedicated you were to giving everyone the best race that they could have. Abig thanks to all the other people involved too, too many to mention and I bet you’re all sick of the report by now so, cheers and keep Tri-ing!

Oh yeah, and when are you putting the music on Steve?!!!

Cheers,
Pinksally x

Last edited by PinkSally on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:33 am; edited 2 times in total
EnduranceUK.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSally, great to see it from the other side.
Well done in your support for Rev G - see you in 2009.

Excellent - brings it all back.

Sad
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the report pinksally and glad to have met you and Rev Graham. You're both great fun! See you both soon I hope!!
Reverend Graham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo, I think the middle bit of the report is missing.

Love n Sloppies Hubby

I'm a Double Ironman, me! no wait ! Triple Ironman !

I am the Reverend Graham, Commander of the Squirrel Army, third in line to the King of the Potato People !
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: missing bit Reply with quote

Reverend Graham wrote:

Love n Sloppies Hubby

Yeah, it is......don't know what happened there, will try to get it in asap......I didn't blank it out on purpose!
Luvn'ugs,
Wifey x
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: missing bit Reply with quote

pinksally wrote:
Reverend Graham wrote:

Love n Sloppies Hubby

Yeah, it is......don't know what happened there, will try to get it in asap......I didn't blank it out on purpose!
Luvn'ugs,
Wifey x

Dunnit guys..... sorry 'bout that, one of the most important bits didn't upload......techno gremlins /operator error.......
Cheers,
Pinksally
Macca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report PinkSally. By the way the Air Cadet instructors on the stand were Deano (big fella and my best mate), Jim and Mandy. You seemed to be having a good time with them everytime I went past during the night. I spoke to Dean a week after the event and he said that he really enjoyed it and the other guys and the cadets also had a great time (albeit tiring). I just owe them some big favours now for supporting me and the event. I'm sure the Rev will nail it next year and I really appreciated his support on the final few laps, and for both of you hanging around to clap me in at the finish (TC too). My mum was a bit emotional as she saw me on the bike on saturday afternoon and I was great, unfortunately when she saw me on sunday after lunch I was threaders and she was a little shocked. But it was worth it in the end and to have her, my missus, the kids and my best mate there, was the icing on the cake. Very Happy
Deke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report Pink Sally! you where instrumental in changing my sample, and stopping me from crumbling, thanks Sall.
See ya both saturday.
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca wrote:
Great report PinkSally. By the way the Air Cadet instructors on the stand were Deano (big fella and my best mate), Jim and Mandy. You seemed to be having a good time with them everytime I went past during the night. I spoke to Dean a week after the event and he said that he really enjoyed it and the other guys and the cadets also had a great time (albeit tiring). I just owe them some big favours now for supporting me and the event. I'm sure the Rev will nail it next year and I really appreciated his support on the final few laps, and for both of you hanging around to clap me in at the finish (TC too). My mum was a bit emotional as she saw me on the bike on saturday afternoon and I was great, unfortunately when she saw me on sunday after lunch I was threaders and she was a little shocked. But it was worth it in the end and to have her, my missus, the kids and my best mate there, was the icing on the cake. Very Happy

Hi Macca,

Ta for that! Also, cheers for the names of the instructors I spent a lot of time with, they helped me a lot!

Well done on a great race and will be happy to cheer you on anytime.....not doing the Big Woody on Saturday by any chance are you?!! Very Happy

Cheers,
Pinksally
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: ta Reply with quote

Deke wrote:
Good report Pink Sally! you where instrumental in changing my sample, and stopping me from crumbling, thanks Sall.
See ya both saturday.

Mate! You're still a hero to me! It was a pleasure and a bit emotional.

Look forward to seeing you sat' chuck.
Cheers,
Sally x
jellybaby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed your race report, reminded me of the bits I had forgotten!

I also got a few of Towel's steely looks - quite liked them!!

www.ultrabunny.co.uk
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: ta Reply with quote

jellybaby wrote:
I really enjoyed your race report, reminded me of the bits I had forgotten!

I also got a few of Towel's steely looks - quite liked them!!

Ta jellybaby, hope it brought back happy memories and not too many sore or achey ones!

I quite liked the looks too in a strange and I'm scared kind of way!

Cheers,
Pinksally.
PinkSally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: ta Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Like the report pinksally and glad to have met you and Rev Graham. You're both great fun! See you both soon I hope!!

Thanks Daz,

Was great to see you race, I'll give you a scream in 2009 if you like!

Rev was right too, there was a section missing from my report, didn't upload for some reason, anyway, it's in there now if you have another spare 4 hours or so.....heh....... Very Happy It is a bit more detail on 'the other side' mainly dealing with Rev's dnf.... Crying or Very sad

Enjoy your other races!
Thanks,
Pinksally
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pink-sally-tastic. sooper report. c u at The Big Woody.
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
PinkSally

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
pink-sally-tastic. sooper report. c u at The Big Woody.

Thanks TC! Will see ya there! Smile

Cheers,
Pinksally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: