Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Oh no, not another extremely long Norseman Report...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7447
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Oh no, not another extremely long Norseman Report... Reply with quote

Norseman hasn’t been any old race for me, simply the only long distance triathlon that mattered. I remember first seeing a small news item in 220Triathlon when the event started up, before I’d got any kind of Ironman distance ambitions. Even then the thought of jumping into a fjord and finishing on top of a mountain gave me a buzz. In 2005, three of my Chester Tri club mates got their black T whilst I completed my first ironman distance and I got to see photos of the course for the first time which just made me want to race it more – the scene was set for Norseman in 2006.

Of course, it didn’t work out as work problems meant I couldn’t finance it. Similarly in 2007, changing career path meant I had returned to being a student. Finally, October 2007 saw me with sufficient funds to enter and I signed up for the Endurancelife supported trip. Entering didn’t precipitate the expected solid winter of training though as a challenging work project between November and March meant I reached the spring with barely any training under my belt and touching 13 stone, the heaviest I’ve ever been. It was time to get frightened…ironman was hard enough but this had a bike course equivalent to one of the hillier cyclosportifs with ~3200m of climbing and then a run which compressed ~1800m of climbing into the final 12 miles. Even the swim was unpredictable with changing course and current, seemingly every year.

Fortune smiled on me in April with a project based in Gloucester. Open countryside all around, some good rolling cycling to the west and steep climbs up Birdlip escarpment on both bike and run. Working away from home limited my training time at weekends but I managed to get about 10 hours in a week over the 3 months leading up to the race. The Etape du Dales in May was a bit scary given a long ride of only 4 hours after just a few weeks of more serious training but sensible pacing got me round safely and gave me great confidence. By July I was doing 40 mile evening rides at 20mph pace (unheard of for me) and a final century round two evenly paced laps of the old Llanberis half ironman course left me feeling pretty good about the bike.
Running didn’t go so well for a long while but after finding some good routes up onto the Cotswold hills, I saw a slow improvement and found my endurance increasing steadily to a final solid long run of 2:45. More importantly, I started to enjoy running in the hills again after being away from them for most of the previous 2 years.
Swimming was relegated to a once a week activity all year, despite which my pace seemed to be holding up pretty well. Discovering Cheltenham Lido in the 6 weeks prior to the race made all the difference and I managed regular 4K sets in the wetsuit once a week and had a final weekend before travelling to Norway of good 3 swims over 4 days.
So, all told, my preparation was just about sufficient but my form was totally unspectacular. I knew that I’d need to pace the bike well to get to the run in some kind of shape but was confident of keeping to 14mph for an 8 hour bike split. Adding on an expected 60 min swim would then give me 6 hours to make the mountain cutoff and I found it hard to believe that I couldn’t walk that if needed to claim my black T.

Thursday 7th August finally arrived and I met up with the others from the northern contingent flying from Manchester (Martin, Paul C, Henry and Paul A). Our nerves were frayed from the off as we discovered that we were going to miss our connection due to storms at Schipol. We arrived in Holland in mid afternoon to find the airport in chaos. Queues at the transfer desks were huge but we finally managed to get moved onto the evening flight and were reassured that our bags would be routed with us. This flight was also delayed and we didn’t reached Stavager until close to midnight after leaving Chester at about 8:45am. Relief didn’t last long though as our bags weren’t on the plane. I had carefully packed all my race gear in the Endurancelife van going over on the ferry…apart that is from my wetsuit as I’d used it over the previous few days. We reported the loss to discover that the next flight in from Amsterdam would not arrive at midday on Friday.
Meeting up with the Endurancelife guys, they were keen to find a solution that allowed us to get to Eidfjord as soon as possible and to my horror it was suggested that we might leave without the kit with me borrowing a surfing wetsuit. Thankfully, I wasn’t the only one who would rather wait and this view prevailed.

After a night in a local hotel and trip to a cycling/outdoor shop the next morning as a precaution (they didn’t do wetsuits – “surfing is very popular sir but triathlon is not”) we got back to the airport. It took so long for the bags to come out that we all thought they weren’t on the flight; then suddenly, at the death they appeared and we could finally breathe easy and depart for the race, almost a day behind schedule.

Arriving in Eidfjord at about 5pm meant we had missed the race briefing and it was a bit of a rush to get our bike kit together and quickly meet Rachel (mountaingirl) and Cleo who were in the next cabin. Endurancelife were going to support us from static points on the bike course so we needed to plan carefully what we wanted at each point, rather difficult on a race of this magnitude and with little time to think. Still, it seemed simple enough to either wear or carry leg and arm warmers and I was always planning to carry my windproof jacket in a camelback anyway. With gear packed as well as possible, it was time to eat and sleep, though the usual nerves meant that was as challenging as ever. The one real plus was that the weather looked fair for a mountaintop finish.

The alarms went off at 2am and I got straight up and put on my P20 suntan lotion and contact lenses. I’d decided to eat a lot less than normal as nerves tend to give me stomach problems so just had a bowl of cereal and coffee. This meant a long wait before we drove down to the start at 3. It was drizzling in a very English way in T1 so I left all my kit in its plastic box and again this meant plenty of time to wait and hence worry about what I’d forgotten – no money for a coffee at the mountaintop restaurant was one particularly useless thing that came to mind…

Finally, we were onto the ferry and off. Still an hour to the start but at least it was happening. It seemed so strange to be finally getting to the start of an event that had meant so much to me for so long, almost like a dream rather than reality. I chatted to Rachel and Neil (Ironmonkey) amongst others and can exclusively claim to have borrowed bodyglide off the female winner of Norseman 2008 (how many people can claim that!!) but mainly, it was a bit of a blur – I was excited and scared all at once, mostly about jumping off the ferry in truth. Then the moment arrived when the ramp came down and the call came to get into the water. I waited for the first surge to subside and then had a major wobble, in the end sitting down to lessen the drop (wimp!). Incredibly, the water was hot, certainly hotter than I would prefer but the saltiness was OK (this was my first sea swim) and I quickly had a bit of a warm-up and looked around to see where to place myself at the start. This ended up being an easy choice as people were clustered close to the ferry and the shore – I headed for the middle and open water.

It was still quite dark, so the mountains around us were shapes silhouetted against the still dark sky, with Eidfjord just a cluster of lights in the distance. The water was still and the only noise was from the swimmers. I felt a sense of calm anticipation as the 30s to go call was made and then suddenly we were off. I got into a steady rhythm right away and was swimming well without any bumping about. Breathing to my right I watched myself slowly converge with the swimmers near the shore as we approached the first headland. I remember a sudden choppy section and a realisation that the current was against us as we went round the headland and then suddenly I was quite alone. For a spooky moment I wondered if I was magically ahead but that obviously wasn’t possible so I looked again and eventually spotted a swimmer closer to the shore. After a while I managed to get close enough to draft and take a look around at the scenery. The mountains to the left were slowly becoming more impressive whilst the rocky shore to the right was already clear. Drafting always makes swimming feel too easy for me so I looked around and saw another swimmer not far off to the left and slightly ahead. This one wasn’t wearing neoprene boots and so I figured would be easier to follow and broke away with a bit of a spurt to catch up. Our little group of 3 now remained together for the rest of the swim. I reckoned we were over half way by this point but surprisingly, the lights of Eidfjord were still quite faint…they still seemed faint after another 1000 or so metres, judged by the fact that my eye sockets were starting to get a little sore from the pressure of my goggles. The water was getting noticeably colder as we swam into the outgoing tide and on one occasion we got hit from a side stream too, making the water really quite chilly. Dawn was breaking properly now and the mountains were taking on more detail but still it seemed quite some way to the finish. The other two were looking up very regularly and I had been happy to let them navigate but finally got frustrated myself and stopped to look up. It was a comic book moment as the other two chose that moment to do the same, we must have looked like a trio of begging dogs – still we could see that the swim exit was not that far off and turned slightly to head directly to it since the turn buoy we been told about wasn’t there. Immediately, a canoe came close and directed us round a small yellow boat which was hidden, practically in the corner of the fjord (I found out later that buoys aren’t considered to be in the spirit of the event). We then had to swim 750m back past the ferry dock to the swim exit.

I got out in the same fine drizzle to enthusiastic applause, feeling that I had swum really well but knowing that the distance was massively long – it felt like a solid 5K, part current and part long course. Still, you don’t enter Norseman expecting an easy day out so I put it to one side and concentrated on transition. There were practically no bikes gone though a fair few people in T1 so I knew I was a long way up the field (19th it turned out in 1:25). For once I took my time to put on a cycling top over my base layer and arm warmers which took forever to get on with wet arms. Andy from Endurancelife came over to say well done and that I was the first out of the swim from our group of 15. I already knew this would be the high point position-wise but it was a nice feeling anyway as I got onto my bike and pedalled off into the mountains.

The first section of the bike is renowned for being a 1250m climb over 40km. In fact, we got to spin out first off as it was flat leaving Eidfjord and then just gently rising through the first road tunnel and along the old road to avoid the next one. It was only once we had passed the campsite where we’d stayed overnight that the serious stuff began and I was immediately surprised by how steep it was. Looking back, I made the mistake of calculating the gradient based on a continuous climb whereas in fact it’s flat at the start, there is a plateau half way up and another at the top – so the actual climbing is spread over about 25Km, not 40km. My plan was to target 200W on the Powertap when climbing but I was finding it hard to keep to that, often hitting 230W for steeper sections. Even so, people were sailing past me regularly which is never a great feeling. My aim was to pace to Dyranut in 2-2:15 and I reminded myself that I needed to stick to my plan. Surprisingly, I was still feeling pretty chilly despite the long climb but decided to keep going rather than stop. Instead I admired the cliffs towering around the road whilst aiming to avoid the ruts and plants growing out of the surface – this was quite challenging in a couple of the longer tunnels.

After an hour I made it to the first lessening of gradient, about 10 miles only covered. This flattish section was quite cold as we were able to get some speed up but soon enough the climbing began again and this time I kept to my power target much better. At the next lessening of gradient I knew I was close to Dyranut and went through 20 miles in 2 hours – if nothing else, the pace was consistent. 2 miles later the hotel we were aiming for appeared with the Endurancelife van right there with a big white marker flag. I switched camelbacks here and picked up an energy bar. More importantly, I put on my knee warmers – it had been a mistake to think that I’d be warm enough without, especially given the drizzle and low cloud.

The next section to Geilo is hailed as a ‘cyclist’s dream’ and that’s a pretty accurate assessment. I deliberately dropped my power target to 150-180W as well as coasting where possible to conserve energy. Despite taking it pretty easy, I still averaged 18mph across the Hardanger plateau, initially past some pretty bleak mountain scenery, not helped by the cold weather – at least there wasn’t the famous headwind. Gradually, though it was warming up and once the sun started to appear, the landscape became softer, the myriad lakes suddenly pretty rather than menacing. The thing I remember most about the ride was the abundance of rose bay willow herb – the first time I’ve seen the profusion of lilac flowers outside the UK. It grew in the same places too, on the road verge.
I got to Geilo; 90Km in a little under 3:55, exactly half way and with the 4 set-piece climbs now upon me. I was dying for my malt loaf (the lump I’d had in T1 had dropped out of the pocket of my cycling top when I’d put it on) so collected that and topped up my one drinks bottle as it was now getting warm. Will told me that a few of the others were not far ahead whilst I took a leak behind the van but I wasn’t worried about catching anybody, this next section would dictate how well my run would go and I didn’t want to overdo it. Heading off again, I was immediately confused by seeing loads of cyclists on a side road. I was a little unsure where to head but as the main road suddenly started climbing, I knew I’d reached the cleverly titled ‘hill 1’. This proved to be a steady climb which meant 7mph at 200W for me. I paced it well and felt strong at the top where out of the blue the race on the side road suddenly joined just ahead of me. I could see now that they were mountain bikes and one guy who had been dropped by the pack came flying past trying to catch up. I kept my distance and got into a tuck as we started to zoom back down the hill, reaching a top speed of 47mph. Hill 2 proved to be more of the same except I spent a bit of time chatting to a Norwegian who caught me. Not surprisingly, the swim length was the main topic and for the first time I realised that I had swum somewhat over 1:15. He left me near the top and I was glad as the descent required more care and had a few switchbacks. Hill 3 was almost identical except for the first twinge of cramp in the top of my right thigh and more worryingly, the familiar tightening in my chest that signalled the onset of exercise induced asthma. I hadn’t expected to suffer until the run and obviously had hoped not to suffer at all but clearly the day was about to get harder. With the steepest climb of the lot, Imingfjell just round the corner as well. Thankfully the twinge in my thigh was just that and I didn’t get any more symptoms during the race.

My inhaler had been with my run camelback so it came as a complete surprise to find it at the van at the base of Imingfjell – Gary from Endurancelife had dropped it off in case I needed it, a classic moment where he knew better than I did myself. I was so relieved as although I had been pulling ahead of my target time, I knew I was going to somehow have to take it easier on this climb and I desperately wanted to make it without stopping. A couple of puffs of ventolin and I felt like a new man and amazed myself by managing to keep my power down to below 170W and keep the bike upright and remained seated all the way up the 7Km climb. I’d remembered Nick Rose writing about being down to 7mph in 2005, well I was generally around 5 and as low as 3.5mph through one particularly steep section. Eventually I got round the switchbacks near the top of the climb and reached the 10km plateau before the long 30Km descent to T2. I was pretty blown and expecting a rest but there was just the merest zephyr of a breeze in my face and I was still crawling along at 10mph.

This was the only moment in the race where I nearly lost my sense of humour, I just wanted to hurl the bike away and have the damn thing over with. Thankfully I pulled myself together and then Matt caught me up and we had a few words – he was suffering with a stiff back – the familiar contact made me feel a lot better. He pulled away whilst I got some momentum up and then stopped to put on my windproof for the descent – the last 20km had taken me about 1:10 and I was back on my 8 hour schedule. We ended up trading places a couple of times as he stopped to stretch and I freewheeled down through what was the most pleasing scenery and weather of the day. We were dropping into lusher forest and there was more life about, though concentration was needed on the very bumpy road. Before long I got to the final turn into Austbygde and then T2 which was on a lovely bit of grass by the lake. Apart from the usual stiff back, I actually felt pretty good. The bike had taken about 7:55 so I knew I had paced it reasonably well and I wasn’t wheezing so fingers crossed I’d be OK. I’d eaten and drunk well too, a good mix of energy bar, Kendal mint cake, malt loaf and gels with dilute lucozade and then GO in my two camelbacks . As I was changing, Matt arrived and then Paul C. He was really lathered up and had us all laughing by saying that he was so knackered that he was going to walk the whole marathon. I jogged off and felt surprisingly good.

Over the first mile I realised that it was actually pretty warm and the sun was now fully out. I walked for a while to get my cap out of my camelback and put my buff round my neck and then to blow the excess air from the bladder – I was grateful for it being refilled from the start of the bike but I hate hearing any sloshing so felt it was worth the effort. I then settled into a steady 10 minute mile pace which felt very easy, though sadly this didn’t last for long. After 5 miles I walked for the first time, I put it down to tired legs but soon realised that a combination of the heat, humidity and my asthma were the cause. My cap was completely soaked through already so I started crossing the road to run in the shade wherever it appeared. I managed to run most of the next 5 miles, at which point I realised that this was now my longest triathlon, over 11 hours and still 16 hilly miles to go. The last 5 miles to Zombie Hill were really hard going as the trees had gone as we moved away from the lake. Endurancelife had left a jerrycan at 18Km and I refilled my camelback – I had drunk 2 litres already, added to the 5 litres I’d had on the bike. I took another couple of puffs of ventolin but it had no effect – it was more in hope than expectation as I tend to only get relief once and had had my fix on the bike. Still, there was nothing for it but to plod on, running about half the time and doing about 13-14 minute miles.
Somewhere around here, we turned into the valley leading to the mountain, Gaustatoppen and the challenge ahead was in front of us for the rest of the race.

I finally reached the power station that I knew marked the start of the climbing and some welcome encouragement from Andy at the van parked just at the bottom.

I’d been overtaken by a fair few people in the last couple of miles but they were all gone and once more I was on my own. I was 3:10 into the marathon for a flat 25Km, way below expectation but I wasn’t worried about times, the aim had always been to get off the bike in about 9 hours and make sure of finishing with the black T shirt.
In a strange way I was looking forward to Zombie Hill as I figured that it would get less hot and humid as I got out of the valley and hence easier for my breathing, plus the steadier effort might also help settle things. Both turned out to be true and I got into a power walking rhythm at almost spot on 20 minute miles. For the 7km climb to the black T shirt checkpoint, this meant about 1 hour and 20 minutes up the 10% incline. I passed a few people on the hill and started to feel OK again, helped by Will coming past in one of the vans and walking with me for a bit, the only time I managed to spend any time with one of our group during the entire race. For the first time I heard about the others and it sounded like those behind me were all going well enough for black as well which was great news. As I climbed, the road switched back and forth, sometimes I’d turn towards the mountain and it looked a bit closer but often it seemed like a mirage in the distance.
By the 32km checkpoint I was feeling pretty good and was greeted by smiling faces from the Norseman crew for the rudimentary medical check (“you look pretty good to me”) and a big smile as I now had the black T shirt; almost exactly 14 hours gone and only 10Km to go. Little did I realise that this 10Km would take me 3 hours.
The angle eased slightly above and then levelled off somewhat as I followed the road beneath and then away from the summit. There were a pair about a minute ahead and I resolved to catch them in order to have somebody to go up the mountain with. I jogged a little on the easier bits, slightly downhill, but had picked up a couple of blisters on my left toes and had quite sore balls of both feet – I went back to power walking instead and was pretty close to them by the time I reached Gary at the mountain checkpoint. I swapped to my mountain bag but suddenly realised that the transition box wasn’t there, for some strange reason I’d convinced myself that it would be. I was irrationally angry as it meant I didn’t have any gloves and I’m sure I showed it (sorry…). As I was putting on some longer trousers and a merino base layer, Gary went beyond the line of duty and found his own pair for me to use, which says a tremendous amount about how the support team looked after us all during the race.

I was keen to get going as stopping too long tends to trigger more severe wheezing but none of the 3 other competitors were ready. I ate a slice of bread and a salt tablet and some Norwegian salami which tasted great and then finally it was time to go, I waved to Gary and set off onto the rocky mountain path. I was in trouble immediately, wheezing, feeling dizzy and totally without any sense of balance which was a bit worrying as normally it’s a real strong point on rough terrain. I quickly fell behind the other teams and was feeling really rotten. I stopped for a bit and wondered whether it was sensible to carry on as I thought I might collapse. A few deep breaths and I resolved to take it very easily, one step at a time, checking my footing carefully and bit by bit my breathing started to ease and my sense of balance started to return. Quite why I felt so awful I’m not sure but as the salami started to repeat on me, I wondered if perhaps I shouldn’t have eaten it. As I climbed up onto the saddle that marks roughly 2 miles to go, people started to come past me on the way down. Spike and Bainsy stopped for a few words and took a photo and everybody had nothing but encouragement to offer.

I was gradually feeling better and better and was now able to enjoy the stunning views. Finally, I reached the last steep climb to the summit and the finish line in 17:05. I had to check whether I had actually crossed the line and only then did I realise it was done. I was given some tomato soup and a blanket and had a chance to look out over the mountain vista around me. It was dusk and the view was just starting to fade but spectacular nonetheless. One of the crew took a couple of photos and slowly a sense of achievement washed over me.

It wasn’t fast but I had made it and that was all that mattered. I called Lynn who was just starting to get worried and got a little emotional, not surprising really.
The soup was the best I’ve ever tasted and then a surprise in the restaurant as I got given a burger. It was cardboard but still tasted heavenly. I sat down next to a vaguely familiar face who turned out to be Neil’s (Ironmonkey) OH. He turned up soon after and we had a chat about our tough day. Sadly, I missed bluepoolshark, despite him sitting on the next table and finishing only a couple of minutes behind me – I would have walked up with him if I’d known.

It was fully dark now and we had to be guided back down. As I was getting into a group, Martin and Paul C arrived and it was great to see their pleasure at finishing. Then I got into line with 60 others and we set off down the mountain, just as all the other Endurancelife team finished – we had all got black T shirts. The next two hours were pretty tough. I was tired, stiff and had blisters but the guides took great care of us, moving between markers without error in the dark. Finally, at about 1:15 we were down and I met up with Andy who drove me back to the hotel. There I found Paul A who had been taken down in the lift due to severe dehydration and was on a drip. He was in good spirits though and the medic even left him to take it out himself (I ended up doing it back in the room – too tired to be squeamish). As we were talking an alarm went off – it was Paul’s from the morning, we had been up for 24 hours. My final recollection of the day was a little worrying – as I lay down I was wheezing worse than at any time and duly resolved to get my medication reviewed as soon as possible, otherwise it was probably the end of any long distance challenges in the future.

Next morning we had the presentation which passed in an entertaining blur. The black T shirts were so sheer that they looked as though they’d been designed for impressing guys in a gay bar – mine is likely to be looked at rather than worn, perhaps I might frame it instead.

Endurancelife had made some more conventional ones and these were what the team wore for the group photo.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, though would want to be fitter to do the race justice and obviously need to resolve my asthma problems first. The event is totally spectacular, has a big feel despite the small number of competitors and is brilliantly run in a very understated way. I loved the fact that there was no finish line and the greeting was a handshake rather than blaring music or inane commentary. And of course, being one of less than 1000 people with a black T shirt feels pretty special too.

Swim 1:25:26 (19th)
T1 0:06:06
Bike 7:55:34 (138th)
T2 0:04:19
Run 7:33:55 (160th)
Total 17:05:20 (124th)

181 starters

Edited to add more impressive jump off the ferry photo
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked

Last edited by Cobbie on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lantern rouge

Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 159
Location: langley and usually near the back

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just skimmed your report. Well done... I'll have a proper read when I have a minute, but you must still be buzzing Very Happy

... so when does the BG training start? Wink
For '09 Manx Mountain Marathon;Old Man Tri; Wensleydale - dropped to do more BG prep. For '10 / 11? BGR? There...I've said it..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 440
Location: Fife...for now!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Pete - really enjoyed that and I had a sense of actually being there - great report! Very Happy

To achieve that race finish ordinarily is something very special, but with the breathing problems you had it's just truly amazing and very inspiring.

Well done - I'm loving these Norseman reports at the moment Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
dr dre

Joined: 03 Jun 2003
Posts: 15079

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one P !

will read the report monday - to long to read on my own time Wink

and the tshirt - suits you sir !
Racing triathlons with both direction and magnitude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 819
Location: Cornwall or Azerbaijan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another outstanding effort and a great report. You Norsemen sure know how to tempt me....!

Congratulations Cobbie, you must be over the moon Very Happy
2008: IMA, IMUK
2009: IT band, strained back....Knocked off bike.....2009 cancelled....
2010: Busted collar bone, IM Lanzarote, KernowMan, New Forest Middle
2011: Taunton mara, Boskman, IMUK70.3
2012: Duchy mara, IM France
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 6710
Location: at the top of a hill shaking my pom poms

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, Cobbie! It was great to meet you. I dare say we'll be meeting again at a future Norseman.
It *is* about the bike.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 1278
Location: Newark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant report Pete Very Happy It was great to meet you - and your company on the ferry was very much appreciated. It's amazing how the demons got to us all in such different parts of the race.

Thanks for putting your bike speeds in the report too - it's helped me to see where I lost time Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 09 Jan 2004
Posts: 4614
Location: Running

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a really enjoyable read and gave a great insight into the race, looked awesome

oh, and well done Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Posts: 1468
Location: North yorkshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report mate, and again..well done on getting the black then about next time ???? Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 4216
Location: There or thereabouts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another top Norseman report!

Great effort P, congrats on the gay black T Shirt! Very Happy
Follow me on Twitter!
BLOG - Slackbladder Goes Forth
My JustGiving page for the Alzheimer's Society
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7447
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craig7 wrote:
Great report mate, and again..well done on getting the black then about next time ???? Wink

I am already thinking about 2009 Shocked
But I do need to get my asthma sorted out or I'll be wasting my time - appointment with doc nest week.
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1875
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Cobbie. Well done on a magnificent effort. Clap
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 06 Jun 2005
Posts: 1987
Location: Wolverhampton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race, and another good report. Well done!
It was nice to meet you over the weekend too... infact a week ago now you would have been walking up that mountain.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 11 Apr 2005
Posts: 4673
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant report Cobbie and great achievement

I think you've just inspired me to have a crack at this sometime. how much did the whole trip cost you?
Coach Rob Wilby
oxygenaddict Triathlon Coaching
OxygenAddict Podcast
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7447
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:
Brilliant report Cobbie and great achievement

I think you've just inspired me to have a crack at this sometime. how much did the whole trip cost you?

Thanks Smile

Endurancelife trip cost £1150 from recollection, that covered everything apart from about £40 spent on food and drink.
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk® All rights reserved.