Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Not the shortest Norseman report in the world......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Not the shortest Norseman report in the world...... Reply with quote

Belated cup of tea time guys, would have posted this earlier but been having issues getting it uploaded! Rolling Eyes

This little minx of a race came round a whole lot quicker than I would have liked…… Shocked

Me, Angus, Philip and my brother Mark who was acting as support for me and Philip all flew out from Stanstead first thing Thursday morning after no sleep which was the main theme for the entire trip. After an extremely stressful wait at the other end for a bags and bike boxes everything had arrived. We went and collected the hire cars and set off for our accommodation just outside Eidjford leaving Angus to wait for his support Kevin who was arriving a couple of hours later.

We drove the bulk of the course and it was a bit of an eye opener as I had never set eyes on hills so steep in my life and was terrified that I wouldn’t be able to get up any of them!! We arrived at our superb log cabin, set our bikes up and it was then that I noticed Philip had decided to make this race a touch harder by using a Bjorn Andersson style 53/41 q ring chainset!! Shocked Very Happy We then drove down to Eidjford to have a quick look around, wait for Angus and Kevin to arrive and grab some food.

Friday morning arrived and we headed off to register, which was a very swift affair. We figured it would be a good idea to test the water so after rubbering up we dived in and it was a bit of a shock, as it felt freezing, but it did warm up a bit after a few mins. Off back to the cabin for a quick blast on the bike and my nerves were eased slightly as it wasn’t as hard as I had expected, although we didn’t ride up any of the steep bits!! Smile

That afternoon we had the pre race briefing which I thoroughly enjoyed, lots of pics being shown of last year and spine tingling music from a local young lady. Only downer was the current was going to be against us Sad After this we went to the pasta party, watched the mini tri start and headed back to finish off our prep and get a huge 4 hours kip.

2am came round waaay to soon and after forcing some cereal down, we headed down to T1. Racking was a simple affair and the UK should really take notice and use the wooden racking as it works much better and makes for a very tidy T1. Wetsuits on and we all wandered down to the ferry only to be told that the boat was small and support crew were not allowed on board, so had to dump my glasses there which was slightly annoying but I can see just about enough! There was a definite nervous tension in the air as we steamed out to the start, but I was feeling extremely calm for some reason? Cool The call came to go out on deck, so we loitered at the back of the queue. We all shook hands, wished each other good luck, so then I decided to get brave and jump in. I was expecting the water to be a bit of a shock but it was actually extremely warm compared to the day before. I floated about so I could see the faces of Angus and Philip when they jumped in Very Happy then headed to the start line.

Swim – 1:45:50 Shocked

Now the time shows just how hard the swim was, especially since I was expecting to do about 1:15. I had a slight delay at the start as my right goggle lens decided to leak and wouldn’t stop, so after a bit of swearing and fiddling, I got it to seal by an acceptable amount and started off towards the bright lights in the distance but by now I was almost at the back of the field Mad The water was not salty, very clear and just an extremely pleasant place to be, very peaceful as the field were stretched out very quickly Smile I got a bit close to shore a couple of times but other than that, the views either side kept me occupied and after what didn’t seem too long I got to the swim exit where I promptly fell over!! Rolling Eyes Regained my composure and headed into T1 where Mark informed me Philip had stormed the swim and was already 30 mins up!! Putting skin tight clothing on when wet takes a huge amount of patience which in turn made me give up trying to hide my modesty so apologies to anybody who happened to spot my naked body!! Shocked

Bike – 7:59:15

This was hard, damn hard, damn damn hard, damn damn damn hard if you get my drift, so to sum it up in a few words as this report is getting seriously long already! –

First 40km to Dyranut– Misery and pain
Dyranut to Geilo – Cold, hot, misery and pain
Geilo to bottom of Imingfjell – Average pain interspersed with total misery
Imingfjell – Awful, evil never ending finishing hill
Plateau to downhill section – please please please let me go downhill soon, I promise to be a good boy..
Downhill to T2 – Damn fast but not all downhill as expected, had to pedal which was most anti-social!!

The stops for food, drink and changes of clothes with my brother are the only thing that kept me going Smile as the suffering involved for somebody who has never cycled up one hill in his life can not be measured on normal scales, the burning in my thighs as I went up the first climb to Dyranut was immense Shocked After that anything that resembled even the slightest incline caused me to drop straight to my easiest gear and spin away, but somehow managed to get up everything without having the need to sit down and cry! I would like to thank the Norwegian guy & Brit who I cycled up Imingfjell with as they were the first people I had spoken to for the entire bike and without them I have no doubt that final climb may have broken me. Over the plateau and onto the downhill was such a great feeling as I knew the easy part was almost upon me Smile

Run – 7:06:04

Once again my naked body was unleashed on the world but you really are past caring by now! Very Happy I think all marathons should be run on courses like this as it was simply the nicest run I have ever done, the views were simply stunning. I basically did a run/walk for however long I fancied as my run training has been limited due to the foot injury picked up earlier in the year and my longest run since April is 6 miles! I got to about 2 miles from Zombie hill in reasonable time and knew that the black T was pretty much in the bag so was feeling all round good. Spent a bit of time chatting to a couple of guys who had come over with Endurancelife and then I arrived at the bottom of THAT hill Shocked Shocked

Steep really doesn’t cover it, but for some reason I was still feeling good and was able to make some good time going up, chatting to and passing plenty of people Smile I probably could have been at least 20/30 mins quicker but the conversation was worth the extra time as I hardly spoke to a soul on the bike and the first 10 miles of the run. Only downside was I ate a Snickers bar which made me feel nauseous and didn’t clear up for the rest of the race. Got to the checkpoint with about 50 mins to spare so was sent off to the bottom off the mountain Very Happy Very Happy Met up with Mark who advised if I had got my finger out Philip had planned to wait for me but as I hadn’t he had gone on ahead.

This final 5km climb was to turn out the most difficult I have ever experienced in my life. I suffered really badly and lost count of the amount of people who told me lies about the distance left to the top, although nearly every single person coming down congratulated me which was a really good feeling!! The problem is that one you reach the mountain checkpoint you think it is just a little stroll to finish the race but actually you have to put some serious effort in to actually earn that black T as until you hit that summit a DNF is still very much possible.

Then after just over 17 hours I finally reached that summit and had finally finished this beast of a race Very Happy Very Happy It was very much dusk by then so was glad we had taken some pictures about ¾ of the way up when there was still light. The tomato soup even with my dodgy stomach was possibly the best ever tasted, burger inside the cabin didn’t really sit too well though. Had a brief chat with Cobbie who I guessed didn’t really recognise me. Just didn’t have enough energy in me to really talk to anybody and was feeling pretty keen to get down this little hill and get to the hotel.

The walk down was a bit of an experience as we were at the front of a congo line 55 people long, but had 2 people just behind us who were having a domestic every 2 mins or falling over every other 2 mins adding at least 45 mins to our journey down Mad Mad It took 2 ½ hours to get off that mountain and finally arrived in the car park where Philip was waiting in the car at about 1.30am. Back at the hotel we pretty much went straight to bed but I slept terribly, getting probably only a couple of hours decent sleep!!

The t-shirt presentation was good and it was a great feeling to be wearing black!! Smile All the pictures were taken and it is a strange experience to have so many cameras pointing at you with flashes going off everywhere, felt like some highly tuned athlete that had actually won something! Also met mountaingirl who happened to end up sitting next to me for the photos. Also blew lots of cash on a spare finisher shirt and a very nice craft hoodie Smile

We stayed for the buffet lunch, packed the bikes and headed off to Olso for the evening, where we ordered the most costly pizzas and garlic bread on the whole of the planet. On the plane first thing Monday morning and back to the UK feeling actually pretty good considering.

What makes somebody who has done a few sprints and one Olympic distance race enter something like the Norseman, especially when the longest hill I have within 50 miles of my house is about 20 mtrs long and about 2% Confused As I sit here looking at my black t-shirt I still don’t really know, I guess its because I used to be a couch potato and would never have dreamed of doing a sprint tri, let alone the hardest iron distance race on planet earth. As it stands I still ain’t the skinniest person and was probably one of the heaviest finishers, actually would be interested to see competitor weights not that they take them though.

Therefore if I do go back and if I’m being honest with myself, I know I want to, then I will make sure I am at least a stone lighter next time so I can reach the top of that mountain in the daylight in a condition that I can actually enjoy the views rather than being totally and utterly exhausted Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I also have been having urges for the even rarer green t-shirt………………………
Cobbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, love the concise bike description Smile

Still feel really bad that I didn't recognise you - sorry Sad . Guess I was a bit spaced out and not really thinking straight.

Came down the mountain in the same group as you too...spent over 2 hours with a teenage girl dazzling me with her very bright torch and not shutting up even to pause for breath - some English chat would have been much appreciated - ho hum Rolling Eyes
Porkexpress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, and an awesome achievement Cool Well done m8!
Snowblind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete- Congrats Mate - great report. I have to say a big thank you for making me undertake this crazy journey. You were great motivation for me to keep going and only sorry we didn't make it to the top at the same time! next year?
Sprints / Olympics '11
Bainsy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report - well done

Takes me right back there.

Green t shirt hey - now that would be utmost respect !!!

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
j-dog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, whats the green shirt for?
Nobbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, I hadn't realised you had jumped into the deep end in such a big way. Agree re the final 5K, I think I'd blotted out how hard 650m of climb would be. Was good to have a chat on the boat with you.
mrchopsaloty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-dog wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, whats the green shirt for?

5 time finisher
Carl J

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet once at the top the misery and pain all seemed worth it Smile

Great! great!! effort BPS - big up to u! Very Happy

I will check out 2012 for the green shirt then Wink
Slacko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get through that bike course with no hill training is pretty bloody impressive Pete, congrats on that well-deserved black T-Shirt!! Cool
p00key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report . well done Very Happy Cool
Cleo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people just think about the next time -- but you, you MAD man, are thinking about the next and the next and the next AND the next. It's like once you typed the words "misery", "pain" and "suffering" you forgot about them! Very Happy

Personally, I think you want to go back because you liked getting naked! Wink I expect I'll be averting my eyes from your bare bum at a future Norseman.
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluepoolshark wrote:
Misery and pain...

So you'll be doing all your bike training between now and next August in the Norfolk Alps, then? Very Happy
MrsTricky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent report Pete - brought it all back to me, especially the Imingfjell bit. I think most of us were nearly broken by that

I like the green t-shirt goal - after having done Norseman once, there's not a lot else to aim for really is there Laughing
mitten.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Not the shortest Norseman report in the world...... Reply with quote

Bluepoolshark wrote:

First 40km to Dyranut– Misery and pain
Dyranut to Geilo – Cold, hot, misery and pain
Geilo to bottom of Imingfjell – Average pain interspersed with total misery
Imingfjell – Awful, evil never ending finishing hill
Plateau to downhill section – please please please let me go downhill soon, I promise to be a good boy..
Downhill to T2 – Damn fast but not all downhill as expected, had to pedal which was most anti-social!!

LMAO, well done matey, terrific effort ( have reported this post for not taking itself seriously enough Very Happy )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: