Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Newbie - How to find your Bike when you need glasses?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first season, I used prescription goggles in the swim, and then left my usual specs next to my bike shoes in T1.

In my second season, I used daily disposable contact lenses, with normal goggles, and just put on normal cycling glasses for the bike. Granted I tend to lose one of them by the end of the race, but that's probably because I sweat buckets, which makes them less flxible, and more prone to fall out (for some reason).

The only difference is I look far harder, sexier, etc with my Oakleys now. Cool

BB
Andy_S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my "can withstand a shot gun blast" M-frame Oakley's. I was cutting channels in the wall with my angle grinder and a bit of stone flew out and broke the frame in half. I now have three lenses and no frame Sad

Lucky I didn't get shot in the face, isn't it.

I'd better get that sorted before I race, want to look the part. Do they still sell M frames?
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what were you doing wearing them for such a task Andy Confused
---posing or what Cool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And BB we wouldnt recognise you without some type of glasses / goggles since all 9 photos show you with some type of eye covering Cool

Last edited by Sue on Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a tight ar$e I rewired the house myself, I cut all the channels in the wall for the cable with the angle grinder. It makes really neat channels but it's really really messy. The angle grinder basically turns the wall to dust and spits it out at about a zillion miles an hour.

Best to wear safety eye wear when playing with power tools. Oakley was all I had lying around. Stupid eh?
old 133

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about some type of flag, the sort you see on recumbent bikes etc, but from reading the post this may be illegal. I

don't have contact lenses and have an eye problem which makes them less desirable. I also don't want to spend the money on prescription goggles till I know if I enjoy it.

I hadn't thought about getting lost whilst swimming having only just started swimming in the pool, where it's difficult to get lost. I guess open water is a whole new ball game. As a matter of interest where can you practise open water swimming. I'm in Maidenhead near the Thames though this doesn't seem too inviting, I'd rather a lake in case I get washed away. Also when is Windsor, perhaps I could try that one or is it only for fit people. Sad

Also AndyS you were lucky with your eyes. Shocked I used a disc cutter for chasing brickwork wearing my ordinary glasses, and ended up in hospital having a piece of metal removed from my eye. Always wear proper goggles they're cheap compared to your eyesight! I should have known better having had Health & Safety training in the construction industry. A case of not practising what I preach, my own stupid fault. Crying or Very sad
Sue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick note about Windsor:

It's run by John Lunt's Human Race team. When I did my first one in 2002, I emailed him asking if I could start in an earlier wave (as 30-34 is one of the last to go) and I didn't want to be trundling around the course on my own when everyone had gone home. Lo and behold, he moved me the requested 30 minutes earlier, and I had a great day. In fact I finished before Richard Allen, the Men's Elite winner.

BB

P.S. This year, I had a 'mare, and took 3.14.27 to finish. Shocked I ended up as one of the last on the course after all, and despite having an hour head start on her, I only finished 30 secs ahead of Jodie Swallow. I got a great reception from the crowd though! Everyone was watching and cheering me! Me, me, me! People were banging on the hoardings, women were fainting, grown men wept. And all because of me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: