Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Timf's ramble around the vit....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Timf's ramble around the vit.... Reply with quote

Year 1, triathlon 3.
Following a Thames Turbo sprint and London Olympic this was the big one!

The drive up on Friday night was great once we finally got free of London, but the M25 did mean that we arrived for the TT pub grub once everyone else had already eaten, but many thanks to EJ for helping out and to the pub for agreeing to still serve us - so happy and fed, it was great to meet a load of you and the chat helped to calm my increasing nerves that had been building all the way up the M1.

The alarm bleeped at 4am to end a night of sleep that was broken by rain of the tent and the couple that decided they had some spare energy the night before a middle distance race - I felt particularly sorry for the chap who was sharing their tent with them - and pregnantmrsf stopped me shouting out encouragement! Very Happy

Got up feeling pretty good and the mrs cooked up a bowl of porridge as I put the bike together and got all my gear in order. Set up transition and following a panicked run back to the car for something I now can't even remember, I was ready to go.

The swim was incredibly weedy as we waited in the water for our start time, but once we were off I felt pretty comfortable and hit my rhythm fairly early despite a lively bit of biff. The second lap was a little less congested and I felt comfortable coming out of the water.

Swim: 34.41

T1 was smooth and I felt pretty good in the early section of the bike. I knew that loads of folk would go past me and I wanted to concentrate on keeping an even pace and trying to keep my heart rate under control.
The support on the ripple was great and despite my worries, the bumps were really not a big problem - although this was helped by the knowledge that all that noise at the top was being made by TTers, such a big help! Dre and I swapped places a few times and a bit of banter was a very welcome distraction. Towards the end of the second lap the back of my right leg started to tighten up behind the knee, but it was a minor concern and I ignored it, expecting to stretch it out and run it off. The end of the bike was welcome, but I felt comfortable and under control and ready for the run.

Bike: 3.05.10

The run started really well. Again, the support - particularly EJ, Mountaingirl, Cleo, La Marquise and the others with them (sorry but don't know more names) was fantastic on the run and really helped make it more enjoyable. Ran a fair bit of lap 1 with Jesmi, and it was great to meet you mate and have some company, and really nice to see all the other TTers out there working their way round. Around 12K in I looked at my watch and at 4.45 I was really hoping that a 5.30 finish might be a possibility, hammering my 6 hour target. At about that time I noticed the back of my right knee start to tighten up again - the end of the bike returning to haunt me! In no time at all it was agony. I slowed right up, but didn't want to stop running. The last 8K or so seemed to stretch on and on for ever. I was keeping my pace just above walking speed and stopped occassionally to try and stretch it out, but I was really going backwards. It felt really frustrating as I felt I had plenty of energy left but just couldn't put any of it down.......it was back to all about finishing at this point. EJ helped as I headed (very slowly) into the last K of the run by claiming that I was close to claiming Iheartspeedos' minceing crown, and I tried to accelerate - if just to get away from the kind hearted soul! Very Happy

Run: 2.12.36

5.52.30 and Tim Fessler you ARE a Vitruvian!

My target was 6 hours so knowing that I was potentially close to 5.30 before the knee tightened up is great, and the disappointment of a seriously slow last 8K is forgotten in pride in finishing.

I was really undercooked for this tbh. I had only biked the distance 3 or 4 times and run it twice since starting to get fit this year so the fact that the body let me down slightly should come as no suprise really, I'm just relieved I got to the end with no lasting damage.

Thanks to you all for the shouts and encouragement out there - the VIper suit did the business on that front (although it has always been ever so slightly too big, and the only down side to that being chaffing where a man should never be chaffed Mad !) and it was great to feel part of such a fantastic team! Jesmi I wish I could have stayed with you...in fact that goes for everyone that went past me during that last hour and a bit!

I add my thanks to Pacesetter Events and all the volunteers and marshalls etc for a really great day out, although I may be spoiled now with my lack of experience of other events!

I'll be back and I'll be under 5.30 for sure! Bring it on!
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Tim, bad luck about the knee and glad you enjoyed the whole Vit experience. Chortled at the reference to the amorous couple in the next tent Very Happy

NT
timf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just love the excess of confidence in the soundproof qualities of tent fabric! Very Happy
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt think you could hear us through the tent Shocked Wink

and dont worry about your lack of event experience of other events in judging the Vit as a good race _ I have done 30 or so races and its the best.
MrsTricky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap Excellent stuff Tim, especially given your enforced sleepness night! You are a Vitruvian Very Happy Be proud!
flan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report and top effort.

Great race! AND we hit lucky with the weather.

It was Rugby Tri's long distance champ race, so I missed my usual bash at the Helvellyn and tried the Vitruvian for the first time.

The only downer was the accident on the bike course - one of my mates from the club helped her - he got a message later from her partner that she had suffered a broken collar bone. Her helmet was trashed Sad
timf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I heard about her Flan, glad to hear that she's recovering (according to the grapevine anyway!)

Weather was great - very scared about winds and torrential rain a couple of days before, lucky old us!

Dre - I thought I recognised your dulcet tones and I was just waiting for you to own up you dirty chap! Very Happy

MG - huge thanks for all the support you were awesome all day, really makes the race easier having you guys out there yelling for us!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going Tim. Sub 5.30 is definately in the bag for you next year!
Nicholas Van Holman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tim. I saw the guy dresed in Viper garb several times on te run but didn't make the connection that it was you. I did shout "well done Viper" a couple of times but should have known it was you. And gotta agree with everybody else. A sub 5hr 30min time is there for the taking. See you in 2009!

Oh and your "tent" story reminds me of a similar tale that I've mentioned on the forum several times, but it still makes me laugh even now. Some years ago, after the Shropshire triathlon, Mrs NVH, me and quite a few others were walking back to the car park through a housing estate. It was a quite Sunday afternoon - until we got to one house where it was clear from the loud grunts and sighs, that the occupants were in the process of swapping body fluids - if you get my drift. We stood agape at what we were hearing and as my people walked up, the group outside the house got bigger and bigger. At the climax - if you get my drift once again - we spontaneously burst out into applause. There was no response from the upstairs room but I still wonder to this day, how long they stayed in the bedroom not daring to move or take a peep outside!

Nicholas Van Holman
tailender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tim and thanks for your encouragement on the run. I can't believe you attempted the Vit in the first year of tri. Nearly as mad as Wiganer.
jbwilliamz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done dude!! 5:30...you can do eeet!!

Very Happy

Sponsors - Triexercise - A perfect location for Ironman Wales
Hoppy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work tim, and good report. A bit more training and you will smash 5:30......
Cleo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic report and race, Tim. Please tell pregnantmrsf that we were sorry to have missed her at the swim start and hope she had a good day. Respect to her for camping!!!
timf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - she's making me pay for a night under canvas now though. Up at 7 tomorrow AND Sunday apparently and nothing but a paintbrush in my hand for the whole weekend! Ahh well, fairs fair I guess.

She apologises for missing you, but after a 4am alarm call, she felt that a nap was going to be required at some point in the morning and didn't feel that the Ripple was going to be the best spot! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: