Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wheezy's Vit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Wheezy's Vit Reply with quote

Sorry, no pics and far too long, but here' my version of events!

The Build Up

So, I’d entered the Vit a few months back in order to try to get one last race in before the end of summer and improve on my performance at Beaulieu which owing to ITBS had been a bit of a disaster. I wanted to finish this race and in the words of PaulL, finish strong. Then, precisely one week before I’m due to line up, I catch another fudging cold Mad . It seemed on the Wednesday that I would have to pull out as I was feeling really rough but I decided I might as well go down, try the swim and see what happens. I got out of work early at 3.30pm but the M25 was a ‘mare so I didn’t arrive at Rutland until gone 7.30pm for what would normally be a 2 hour drive Mad Mad . My plan of leisurely racking my bike, sorting bottles and kit in the evening was shot, so after registering I got the tent up, had some pasta and tried to get some sleep, but not dropping off until well gone midnight.

I got up at 5 and had a banana and noticed that everyone else seemed to be on the move and already busy. Strange. I got changed and after about 20 minutes of faffing about the tannoy came on and says something about transition closing at 6. Sh1t!! I’d forgotten about that and I’m in a complete mess Stupid . I had not filled my bottles (I was going to do it the night before, but hadn’t just being too knackered!) so I tried to get some water from the café (closed) and basically I faffed about again trying to sort something. Apparently there was a standpipe but I didn’t find it. How the hell am I supposed to do this without the nutrition that I had so carefully practised with and the sum total of one cup of tea the night before as hydration? This did absolutely nothing for my already fragile mojo. As I queued up to rack the bike I started to seriously consider pulling out. In the preceding week absolutely nothing had gone right and this was just the cherry, on the icing on the cake, albeit all my own doing. I queued to rack only to then realise that I had not put the stickers on my bike or helmet Stupid . So back to the tent, stickers on, and sprint to rack with a couple of minutes to spare. I suddenly realise I have not got my swim hat or timing chip, which I have cleverly left in my shiny new Vitruvian rucksack in my car Stupid . I managed to get another cap from registration and hung around berating myself for being such a t!t. I was in a pretty black mood talking to a couple of the guys from Kingfisher when PaulL introduced himself. Really good to meet you Paul and sorry if I seemed a bit abrupt but at the time I was really f***ing angry with myself and frankly, I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. Evil or Very Mad

Swim
So, the plan was to get though the swim and see how I was feeling. The start was uneventful but I could feel that I was not swimming well. The sighting was easy but I kept finding that I was drifting (or swimming) to the right on the opening leg and couldn’t seem to correct it where it was quite choppy. Eventually got round only to find myself swimming through weeds, which I can honestly say was not a nice experience. The second lap was uneventful except for being overtaken by quite a few in the next wave. When I remembered to look at my watch in transition it said 40 minutes which was really disappointing as I had hoped for something comfortably sub 35 and it all just added to the DNF voices in my head.

Bike
So, I set off without any nutrition thinking that I would do one lap and make a decision to jack at the feed station. I spent the entire lap trying to talk myself into dnf’ing.

‘I feel tired’
‘It doesn’t feel right.’
‘You’ve got no fluids.’
‘You’ve had a cold.’

I passed a few people who had punctures and really wished I could get one or a mechanical just so I could say that I had tried. I got up the ripple and got a cheer from the TT supporters which was great but my main thoughts were just about getting back to the lake to stop and go home. I tried to just concentrate on the ride and the scenery and I was also getting a bit fixated about people’s ankles and their start waves Shocked . I had been in G, and a steady stream of H’s went past, then before I knew it, there was the odd I and J. Ah well, just get to the end of the lap… Rolling Eyes

Finally we turned into Whitwell and I pulled up at the feed station. I got 2 bottles and virtually necked one straight away. My lips stung as they had started to crack, presumably through starting to dehydrate and chapping. So decision time. Drop out now or carry on? Other than my low mood, I really had no excuse at that time so it seemed like a good idea to carry on. ‘Just get to the end of the bike and then bale.’ I immediately began to regret it, again just filling my own mind with reasons as to why I should stop. I just wasn’t enjoying it. ‘Please let my chain break.’ I got up the ripple again and got another big cheer from the TT’ers and this time it really gave me a big lift and put a smile on my face and for the first time I actually felt that I could do this; thanks guys, you seriously saved my race. Looking back, had you not been there at that time I probably would have jacked but to say your support was timely would be an understatement. Party Clap

As the second lap went on I began to enjoy it more and more and even overtook a few people. I’ve been reading on a few other threads about near misses and the poor girl who was involved in the hit and run (big hugs to you – hope you get better real soon). I have to say that all the other motorists I encountered were really good, waiting until it was safe and giving lots of room. I only saw one blatant piece of drafting going on when three people from a later wave went past all inches from each others’ wheels. Anyway got back to T2 and although probably not much faster than at Beaulieu (no chip remember, so no data Stupid ) I felt a good deal fresher.

Run
I was really hungry when I got off the bike and I suddenly remembered I had an elevenses bar in a tracksuit pocket, so got it and devoured it in the first few minutes. Heaven. I wanted to be much more in control of this section than when I did Beaulieu and so the plan was to run except through feed stations, which is precisely what happened. It was good cheering on fellow TT’ers, although sorry, I didn’t know most of your names. The High5 went down well and I had a banana on each outward leg. I felt good and while not that fast I was able to keep a pretty steady pace. I think for most of the first lap I was running just behind Nicholas Van Holman (you had Holloway on your bum?) Everytime I tried to catch him to say hello a feed station would appear, so I would walk only for him to gain an extra 20 metres. I’d then almost catch him again by the next station only for the same thing to happen Rolling Eyes . Also managed to see Slacko and got caught between waving and high fiving and missed completely (sorry mate). Felt a bit of a t!t doing that! Seriously big ups though to Mrs Spike, her friend, EJ and the others who were on the run route, cheering really loudly. Thanks guys, again you put a big smile on my face and really helped me keep going Clap . The second lap got a bit tough but kept it together and was enjoying the feeling of finishing well as I came down the chute.

I sat down and stuffed my face with crisps, but childishly, my face fell when I saw a female competitor coming out with Cadburys fudge bars (bollox, missed them!). I hung around for a while and spoke to a few TT’ers and clapped the last few competitors home before packing up for the drive home. Mrs Spike and the other lady were still on the corner cheering everyone on as they came home as loudly as 6 hours before. Amazing.

So, I finished in 5.30.11 which I’m really pleased with, in the circumstances of training that has been quite patchy and my cold in the immediate run up and I think that a time in the region of 5 hrs (4.59.59 Wink ) could be on the cards with some good quality and structured training. I’ll definitely be back at the Vit next year to try. Very Happy

What a great event, really well organised, loads of friendly marshals, supporters and competitors, and a great rucksack (Wheezy junior loves it) and a finishers’ t-shirt which I’m immensely proud of.
repoman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Wheezy on battling through some ahem, relaxed, preparation regarding your bottles and chip and coming through to still find the sweet spot in the end.
MrsTricky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff Wheezy - a great performance despite all the issues you were facing. Glad the power of TT support stopped your chain from breaking Very Happy
timf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Wheezy - well done for sticking it out mate.

Going to have to sort this Kingfisher connection out - can't swim this week as the knee's not up to it yet, but I just delivered Louise's 3rd place medal & trophy etc. Are you still training with them?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I'm such a numpty. I didn't realise that the guy who was charging up and down the lane next to me was TimF until I saw your pic in your London Oly report! Shocked

Not been along for one reason or another over the last couple of months (hence the dissapointing swim I guess Rolling Eyes ) but yes, I'll be back regularly as soon as I've nailed this cold which is still hanging on Mad
Triturus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing report, Wheezy! I often think I'm the only disorganised person setting up (I had to rush back to my tent to get my bike shoes, but at least I had plenty of time), but you really excel at it. All credit to you for keeping it together and over-coming adversity.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triturus wrote:
Amazing report, Wheezy! I often think I'm the only disorganised person setting up (I had to rush back to my tent to get my bike shoes, but at least I had plenty of time), but you really excel at it. All credit to you for keeping it together and over-coming adversity.

Hey, disorganisation like that takes years to perfect! Wink

I've never done that before, usually I'm pretty good but I just wasn't 'in the zone' for this one. Anyway, I'll always ensure that I leave home with full bottles in future!
Slacko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one mate. I was trying to High-5 everyone I knew and missed quite a few so don't feel bad, my hand-eye coordination started to waver by the 2nd loop! Very Happy

You sounded as disorganised as I was, I was lucky that Rach was there to do the running for me as I left my swim cap & chip in the backpack in the car also! Rolling Eyes
tailender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Wheezy. Nice reading.
jbwilliamz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top report man...and good target for next year!! Wink

Sponsors - Triexercise - A perfect location for Ironman Wales
Helen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Wheezy Very Happy

I don't know how you managed to get so far without a drink! Shocked
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeee well done for finishing
--some more learning, be great for next season
well earned rest n review n planning Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse preparation I have heard yet, and you still finished in 5:30? Great effort that.......Well done for thoughing it out!!
Cleo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report! When I got to the elevenses bar bit I realised you are a man after my own heart -- they are heaven in a pinch!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
Great report! When I got to the elevenses bar bit I realised you are a man after my own heart -- they are heaven in a pinch!

Thanks Cleo. I just discovered theem the week before and they are the king of the breakfast cereal bar. Thanks to everyone else for the kind comments. I'm just off to Wilko's to get myself a kit box. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: