Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Improving Swimming in the North West
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Improving Swimming in the North West Reply with quote

Probably the last thing you need but I run Crawl Improvement courses in the back water of Fleetwood just 300 yards away from the burnt down pier!

These course involves:
2 x dry theory sessions
3 x pool sessions
1 x video analysis Price 60

I am a Level 3 swimming coach who runs the local club on a voluntary basis. Two swimmers who came through my club's squad system were in Beijing as part of the 2012 'preparation thing' (1 a swimmer, 1 a pentathlete), also another lad who I coached regularly til they were about 14 has been picked for the European Open Water Champs in Croatia. (He did 1-02 for 5k and came 2nd in British Champs last month.)

Over the last 12 months 41 people have attended, mostly from the Fylde Coast/Preston area all finding out by word of mouth. (1 person came from Liverpool and stayed in a B & B.)
I do the course during club pool time which keeps costs down, that is why the 6 hours is spread over 3 days.

There are still 2 spots available for my next one (19-21st Sept) and there are already a couple of people interested in my next onr (prob Oct/Nov).

There also may be a possibility that I can run the same course over 1 day (at a higher cost) and I am looking at organising a 1 night refresher course involving underwater filming which may be suitable for the more able!

Thanks for reading, Ell

For more details check out website.
ell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still running training weekends at Fleetwood to develop Frontcrawl stroke. These sessions IMO are ideally suited for novice triathletes a 'bit worried' about the swim, aiming to get from 10 min (ish!) 400m to under 8, although 1 or 2 pretty handy swimmers have attended (one Master had the aim of getting sub 24.8 for 50 free from mid 25s.) 2 attendees were not capable of swimming 25 crawl when first turning up, although they had completed triathlons doing breastroke, 1 was swimming Open Water free within 6 weeks and the other is now swimming 400 in around 8 min and 50m in 41 s. (In fact at least 5 of the attendees were quite experienced triathletes and went on to complete IM last year.)

I am now also in a position to offer Underwater Video Analysis on Friday nights at Fleetwood. These are intended as a follow up course but would probably be suitable for quite experienced triathletes looking for a bit of an early season overhaul. These are priced at 35 and consist of:

1 hour swimming skills session
1/2 hour video
1 hour analysis
(Plus DVD with feedback.)

I run these sessions for 5/6 people at a time.

I do over 10 hours a week coaching as a volunteer covering ages 8-18 (the most serious at mo are a 14 and a 15 year lad who are sub 17 and sub 18 for 1500m.) and as already stated over the past 5 years at least 6 swimmers have gone on to achieve international honours in swimming, water polo or Modern Pentathlon who came up through the ranks of the club.

I am also a v poor triathlete completing my first Sprint and Oly (3rd out of the water 100th at the end!) last year, with more planned for this year.
ell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this.

I am possibly now in a position to offer this course over a one day block (looking at a Sunday 11 am to 6 pm.) Price 60 as an introductory offer.

I have been running these courses for just over 2 years now for just over 120 participants.

As stated my main invlovement with swimming is running the training program at my local club on a voluntary basis (the first 12 year old girl in the country to break 60s for 100 free came through the ranks!) but I have now had a go at a few Tris so can comment a little bit from those experiences.

(3rd out of the water at tatton park (20.34) then the next 2 hours + being overtaken by 200!)

http://www.tattontriathlon.co.uk/tatton_triathlon_results_2009.htm

If anybody is interested or would like any further info do not hesitate to pm.

Thanks for reading this
ell
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on improving my stroke over the winter. When this course came up I thought it would be the ideal opportunity to see where I had got to and get advice on how to improve from here. So I signed up for the valentine's day course.

Ell's approach to coaching was very good - keeping things simple and addressing each individual's needs. There was plenty of poolside feedback from both Ell and his assistant coach which was excellent. Being able to see my stroke on video (from different angles above and underwater) was great and the video analysis from Ell was very helpful too. Ell provides a copy of the video on DVD for future reference and so you can bore your loved ones with it Very Happy

The course was excellent value and I would thoroughly recommend it to anybody within travelling distance of Fleetwood who is looking to improve their stroke.

I have no links to Ell or his club I'm just giving my opinion as a satisfied customer Cool
simonl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that.....I too decided to spend Valentines day in a swimming pool this year. Travelled up from Derbyshire for this, well worth it, would highly recommend the course.

Simon
arhy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, missed this first (second and third) time round - not sure how as I had meant to contact you a while back.

Are you still doing one-day blocks?
ell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is interested, I have a couple of spaces available on my one day course this Sunday (21/03/10).
It is in Fleetwood, near Blackpool.
The time is 12:30 - 21:00.
This is still being offered at the introductory price of 60.

Please PM me if interested, for more details.

Cheers,
Ell
wiganer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give this a bit of umpphhhh too.

If you want to see what your stroke is all about and get some tips off a big lad who knows his stuff then give ell a shout.

I visited at the back end of 2008 and it helped me lots to work on stuff in 2009

I am not the greatest swim officianado, but I enjoyed my session up in Fleetwood.
arhy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous reviews. I went to the course on the Sunday just gone. Well worth the money and I am very happy that I went!

I highly recommend it and it is definitely worth going to if you want somebody to give you thorough feedback on what is wrong/right with your stroke. It is eye opening to watch yourself swim from various different angles and had I not gone on the course, I'd have probably not seen one of the major faults on my stroke.

The training session at the end of the day is also excellent. I think a lot of people were surprised with what they could actually do when somebody is pushing them. Looking forward to a follow up session.
ell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next course is on Sunday 15th August. There are still a few places available.

The price is now 70 but for that you now get detailed underwater footage of your stroke. (I have now purchased a camera on a stick!!)
In addition you will receive a set of session plans specifically tailored to your ability group to last 4-5 weeks.

cheers ell
Rooster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been well up for this after the squad swim with your group on Sunday, but am away on holiday. Let me know when the next one is mate!

For anyone considering it, Ell is a great coach, very patient. Really appreciate your feedback this weekend, Ell, it helped a lot. Smile
ell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Due to a lot of the guys I have had through the original course (over 150 now!), improving so much, I am looking to expand this a bit and run a follow up course for Advanced swimmers.

This is aimed at those that are aiming to get under 30 min for 1500m (down to those aiming to get under 25 min.) I hope to get the first one of these up and running towards the end of November.

I also have a few places available for the 'Novice' (Original) Course on Sunday 10th October.

If anybody is interested in either of these do not hesitate to contact.

cheers ell
SolarEnergy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!!

Based on the communications we've exchanged so far, I have no doubt that these sessions are worth this costs.

Wish you lots of success Ell. You rock!
Rooster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ell wrote:
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Due to a lot of the guys I have had through the original course (over 150 now!), improving so much, I am looking to expand this a bit and run a follow up course for Advanced swimmers.

This is aimed at those that are aiming to get under 30 min for 1500m (down to those aiming to get under 25 min.) I hope to get the first one of these up and running towards the end of November.

I also have a few places available for the 'Novice' (Original) Course on Sunday 10th October.

If anybody is interested in either of these do not hesitate to contact.

cheers ell

Let me know when the 'advanced' course is, mate. I'm very interested. Ha, LOL at the thought of being enrolled on an 'advanced' course! Smile
ell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next course (the one for "Advanced swimmers" ) is November 21st. This is the first time I have offered this specifically for 'better' swimmers so priced at 60. Still places available if anyone interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: