Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Perranporth 'Extreme Surf Triathlon'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Perranporth 'Extreme Surf Triathlon' Reply with quote

er I'm in and bricking it as the surf is about 5 foot at the mo

could anyone help me with the bike course as im not 100% on the route and wont to reccy it this week
thanks
mitten.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for it my son - they may be 5' on top but they're only 1' underwater. Don't forget to suck, duck & tuck Laughing
Have wanted to do this event for years but never been able to for various reasons. Good luck

( can't help with the bike course, sorry)
paulhawkins

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamous, I am in too.
The bike course is fairly challenging, 2 laps, and up St Georges hill which is just off the high st right at the start, very steep, this is right after the half mile run from the water up the beach to transition.
The waves for the last 2 years have not been too bad, bit choppy last year, but this is 3 weeks later, but weather forecast is fair at the moment.
Great race this, super fast downhill into town at the end of each bike lap and loads of local support, tough run up over the cliffpath and back along the beach.
Cheers
PaulH
jamous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

il make that a crawl up the beach then

its cause ive surfed a fair bit at perranporth is why im worried ive seen some well good beattings being dished out by the surf over the years and the rips are always so strong

its just if its massive i know im going to get a good working over
Chalky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in and have fingers crossed for big surf Smile
mdava

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: perranporth tri 21 sept Reply with quote

jamous wrote:
er im in and bricking it as the surf is about 5 foot at the mo

could anyone help me with the bike course as im not 100% on the route and wont to reccy it this week
thanks

Ah, how I love this photo Shocked Very Happy Shocked

It's not what you plan to do tomorrow that counts, it's what you did today.
jamous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest surf forcast is 2 to 3 foot and ne wind so bit onshore thats fine for me bricking it reduced to just nervous
Chalky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Family emergency (nothing life threatening) means no trip to Cornwall to me. Gutted. Have done the last four Perranporth Tri's but will miss this one. This year has been rubbish for triathlons and me: punctured twice on the Dambuster then broke my pump - my slowest tri ever, and struggled round the Cowman in the rain (same rainstorm as the British Grand Prix), and now I can't make my favourite triathlon... GRRRRR

Good luck to all competing - hope the surf is fun and look forward to reading race reports.
surfdragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for this as well, did it two years ago and the surf was flaaaaaat worse luck. Hopefully it will be bigger this year, but at the moment the forecast is for there only to be a small swell. Did Newquay tri 2 weeks ago and there was a bit of surf for that but then they shortened the swim !!!!
jamous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

managed to twist my ankel today Rolling Eyes bit sore should be ok for the race fingers crossed

wind nw going to be eastley at 18 mph so cleaner surf
Yellow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race, loads of weather, loads of spectators and some very fast competitors...too fast for me!

Results: http://www.blacksheepsports.co.uk/p...aspx?raceid=582
Yellow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I've no idea how I ended up as Cardiff aac!
grammarsow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Done Yellow - I thought - who's he racing for now!!!

Hopefully someone out there will recognise Matt Ps talent and get him into the right circles and contacts - he would do really well on the pro circuit and shock a few with a decent tri coach - Sam Herridge also never fails to amaze me - she's a top girl

Well Done all - I wish I entered Perranporth instead of a very hilly, hard and hot half at Truro - see you next week at Bodmin Yellow?
jamous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the long report

well all in all a good day out for me
swim was ok 1500m was more like a mile
stared on the very far left to keep out of the biff strolled out back and swam spot on to the first turn (managed to guide a waywould swimmer away from me)
second leg keeping well away from everyone else on to turn 2 then stupidly i tried to swim on to aggie and ended up with the rib blocking me so i got the massage (well the sun was in my eyes and the chapel rocks looked to small Rolling Eyes )
so i lossed about 30 secs to a min then bit of cramp in about a foot of water so it was easy to float on my back for a few seconds and sort it
29 mins to the beach
then the stagger to t1 this was easy the hardest part of the whole race for me
i so wanted to walk, but hay htfu and run
steady thought t1 3 .13 should have taken another 10 sec to put my gloves on not tried to do it on the run out Rolling Eyes

bike
hills up up up more up then oh more upness then oh more up the whole first lap it seem like apart from the last mile back down into perranporth where i hit 40mph
dont know about anyone else but the road buzz was so bad i could not feel my toes or finger tips
second lap took it even easier on the never ending climbs Rolling Eyes
save my legs for the run and get the rest of the 2 liters of drink i had down me and a gel
1hour 37 min good time for me 24.5 miles ish
into t2 feeling ok but aperhensive (oh f its a tough run ahead )
run out and i can run wow good one
onto the soft sand which was a killer to run over to the dunes and go up and up and i past 3 people on the climb -WHF- (they were in the race as well not just grannys out for a stroll)
back down on to the beach and the sand was soft enough to be hard going but went past another runner (kin hell im on fire here )

far turn and its getting hard work get passed by one runner id done on the climb by the time i get the the dry soft sand im proper done for so i phone my wife saying see you at the finnish get the camara ready Wink
and i dig deep -ankel was starting to hurt alot on the uneven going- quick look at my watch --i can go under 3 hrs at this rate

and i did 2.56.54 well happy

with 42.30 for the run all that coast path suffering in training paid off then

and i wasnt last
i was the slow one with the astana top
paulhawkins

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamous, well done.
was a long if flat swim!!
had a problem with my bike, gear cable broke so had to do whole race in the big chain ring!!
went like crazy up the first big hill and got as far as the island before grinding to a halt unable to turn the pedals and jumped off and ran with bike until it flattened out enough to get back on and try to get going again.
took a lot out of me especially 2nd lap, at least I knew then it could be done.
tough run that, some really fast times as well,very high standard.
brilliant race, top organising team, sunshine and pub on the beach, does it get any better? 2hr 43 for me.
Cheers
PaulH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: