Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Perranporth 'Extreme Surf Triathlon'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfdragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree it was well run and marshalled. The swim was def over 1500m though. I was about 3 min slower than last time but I'm swimming better than then ? Was pleased with my time overall though as it was slightly quicker. But PLENTY of room for improvement !

Bring on next year and pray for big surf.......
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of throwing my hat in the ring again if I can get clearance. This year's event is 3rd Sept. Last did it in 2013 and the swim was a shock to the system after a 16 year hiatus!

Defo one of the tougher short races, you feel knackered when you come out of the swim on a rough year; the bike is normally v.windy and then there's the run up & over the cliff Twisted Evil I will most likely leave my 808 front wheel in the car if I do it again.
doddydodd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing it this year!
Done it in 2015 and was a great event.
swim was tough and run was proper hard up the sand dunes.
can't wait!!!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be my 6th outing there. First 4 times were in the 90s when the run just stayed on the beach, but I guess like car horsepower these days, they feel they need to up the ante!
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a swim that would suit me. A week before IM Wales and another weekend away might not be the best plan though. Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my entry in Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was an experience as always. They kept the swim at 1500m despite the conditions, and man it was hard work. Not too bad once we finally made it past the '5-set' breakers out to the two turn buoys, although we were swimming against a current. I noticed at the first turn quite a few people were cutting well inside the buoy Rolling Eyes I guess it's quite hard for the lifeguards to 'police' a swim of 300 people all over the place in a big swell & surf conditions, and some people take full advantage of that. The swim back into shore was as always the horrible bit; at one point a huge wave picked me up and somersaulted me twice, ripping off my cap but luckily not my goggles. When I came up I let out a loud argh indignant at my treatment by the sea! I could see people all around me recovering after that one Laughing

Finally made the beach again having survived another Perranporth swim; then the long run up to the beach to T1 and out onto the very wet bike (pissing it down). I was surprised how many unathletic looking people I caught in the first half of the bike; perhaps a lot more course cutters than I spotted. The bike is pretty straightforward, 3 laps starting with a long climb out of town. There's a narrow fast descent at the end of the lap, which was obviously a PITA with carbon rims and I lost a fair bit of time nursing my bike down that - maybe a P5X would have been a good choice!

On to the run and finally a chance to really feel like I was making some forward progress. All the way down the beach (tailwind) then around a jeep and halfway back, and then the climb over the cliff/dunes. I managed to stumble most of the way up, but at one point the dune section got so steep I had to walk hands on knees. Then you hurtle back down to the beach, trying to avoid breaking your ankle. Must have gained at least a dozen places on the run.

No idea how I did as haven't seen any results, but not very well judging from the number of people coming the other way on the run. I must have had a big deficit after the swim, not being used to those full surf conditions (like the many locals who race) and I swam the full course. It's an event to be experienced if you're a strong swimmer, but definitely not one I'd recommend if you see swimming as a necessary evil to complete a triathlon Smile

ETA - seen the results now. 91st after the swim, and that includes overtaking a lot during the run to T1! Finished 40th not inc relays. Given I can swim a 'normal' Ironman in 59/60 min, you can see how much conditions affect your placing. I'm on a hiding to nothing at this race Razz (did I mention I swam the full course)
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Jorgan. Sounds like a pretty epic swim! Did you manage to do the full swim course? Wink

This one's definitely now on my bucket list, especially as we've got family ties to the area and so know Perranporth well. As a kid I remember the seas there being quite intimidating at times, so can well imagine a wind-blown September sea being quite an experience to swim in.

Was there any scope to body surf in?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:

Was there any scope to body surf in?

Assuming you're competent at such things...yes! I used to be fairly good at surf swimming when I lived in the SW, and have a couple of top-5 finishes here when I was a twentysomething; but that's a looong time ago now.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, there is a big difference in swimming well and surf watercraft. They are different beasts.

Sounds like a good day out though. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: