Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359 ... 375, 376, 377  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done YKK and LMH! Which half did you do YKK?

+1 that doing a 20 miler after work is a good effort KingstonGraham, no wonder it was a struggle!
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been hobbling since. Weakness in left knee showed itself, and no running since Tuesday. Supposed to be doing Fleet half on Sunday - we'll see.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you're soon back on the road Graham.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Half for me on Sunday. No build up to a mara, this is as long as I'm going this Spring Very Happy

Realistically hoping for something in the 77-78 range, with sub-77 possible on a real good day legs and weather wise - the latter not looking so promising at the moment!

Anyone else doing races this weekend?
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bit of a mixed bag at the moment, some good PB's and good to see LMH back after your accident.

Also a few people with niggles but hopefully they'll stay at that and its just down to the heavy training.

GB's mileage is insane and my legs hurt thinking about it.

Very mixed bag for me recently, legs have been taking a beating but I've been getting 1 or 2 free sports massages at work (Uni) per week, otherwise I'm fairly sure I'd be out by now. I've had about 2 decent feeling sessions in the last few weeks, some have been a real struggle. Wondering how I'd do 40k at 4:13 when 4k at that pace is hard work!

Did my last long run yesterday and treat myself to a hilly fell run round the moors rather than just plodding the tarmac.

Rest day today and a short ride\run probably tomorrow. I've managed to get someone from the club's place at Thirsk 10 on Sunday, so aiming to do some or most of it at MP to see how it goes and use as much of the racing kit as I can.

I was expecting my Manchester number today but it isn't here yet.

Sounds like a few are racing at the weekend.

Jeff
andyjsg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
Reading Half for me on Sunday. No build up to a mara, this is as long as I'm going this Spring Very Happy

Realistically hoping for something in the 77-78 range, with sub-77 possible on a real good day legs and weather wise - the latter not looking so promising at the moment!

I will be on the start line with you and hoping for a similar time (which would be a couple of min PB).

I hope there is a group actually as the wind might make this one a hard race.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyjsg wrote:
PhilleusPhogg wrote:

I will be on the start line with you and hoping for a similar time (which would be a couple of min PB).

I'll be there too but will be nowhere near you!
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyjsg wrote:
PhilleusPhogg wrote:

Cool - it's a large (and deep) field and there should always be enough people to run with even sub-80. The last couple of miles along the A33 is the bit to be aware usually, since it's no use being the strongest at that point as everyone uses you as a wind break.

Shame the wind seems likely to be strong so it's not going to be super quick, but it is what it is, and we do finish further East of the start so at least there's a net benefit from the wind Wink

I'm number 7704 just in case we cross paths!
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashby 20 for me on Sunday. Was hoping for a confidence giving run but the wind may put paid to that. Back up to 95 miles this week so not where I was mileage wise this time last year but my physio said she was amazed at my recovery so I guess I should be grateful it's as good as this.

Go well at Reading and Thirsk tomorrow - looking forward to hearing how you've all done.

Two free sports massages a week - I want to work at your uni, nothing like that at mine:-(
Oranj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a dodgy couple of months, injury-wise, I managed 1:28:00 at the Fleet half today with no taper, so the 3-hour goal is still just in sight for London M.

Did anyone else here run it and think the new course for Fleet half slightly short? I got 21.04km and there are a lot of 21.0km (and the odd 20.9km) runs on Strava Rolling Eyes
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrectly measured courses seem to be the in thing at the moment!

Lots of good racing popping up on my strava feeds over the weekend - especially YKK's (i think, it's hard to keep track of all forum/real life personas!) crazy double day!

How did they all feel people - the wind was rancid once again, and i'm getting seriously bored of it! I ran back and forth on a sheltered lane today to avoid it during my heated progressive run. But it made for a long, slow and heavy slog home!

Not long until Manchester for those doing it - now that we're entering the peak and/or taper phases, how about some up to date written targets to commit to, so we can hold you to ransom after the race! Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah some strong looking runs over the weekend, good work all!

You start us off with the targets then!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done Oranj, thats a great time off the back of no taper and 2mths of injury, get to the start line injury free and sub 3 will be yours for the taking.

all good here, was going to do 30km at weekend but just couldn't be arsed so cut it short to 16 with a slightly faster pace than normal and felt ok. Also trying to throw in swimming and turbo work into the mix so weekly mileage is pretty low hovering around 40miles/week. Last marathon was barca 2015 so i'm a little uncertain as to where i am with goal times, but i suspect i'm a little slower so i'll be gunning for sub 3 at london.

Lidl 16.2 kingston breakfast run this weekend, will try and hold 6:30 pace for as long as possible and see how it goes.
twhat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO racing for me but starting to feel more confident sub 3 is on. Although i havent had any racing to check my condition, marathon pace has generally felt pretty comfortable all year... the last 3 weeks have been pretty relentless training wise so no taper and i managed a 1h29 half on saturday which was fine although the last few k hurt a bit.... i ran out and back on the seafront which meant a nasty headwind for the way home.. difficult to quantify but i reckon that wind at the weekend was worth almost 30s per mile when flipped around. Funnily enough i went the other way on my 14 miler on sunday which meant the 12k return was nice and easy....
Ordinarily i would say 1h29 was well off the sub 3 scale but with the recent mileage/ long runs and the wind i felt pretty good about it.

Mileage has been pretty unspectacular but consistent with a fair few intervals/hills/mp runs and i have thus stayed injury and niggle free so far. I recently discovered ice baths and have also been spending rather too much time than i'm confortable with wearing compression tights ...

I worked out that my 2017 weekly average will only be around 30 miles come taper time which doesnt sound much but tbh the biggest thing i struggle with is actual tiredness... i guess thats a busy job/commute/4 kids+marathon training for you !!

Planning on 2 more 21 milers over the next two weeks and then a 3 week taper for London.. I'll nail my colours up now and say 2h59mins....

Last edited by twhat on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffered in the second half at Reading yday for a 1:19:25. The wind obviously didn't help, especially combined with the long slightly uphill drag around 7-8 miles in - definitely was a day for strong legs!

Think I need to up the mileage if I do another half in autumn so that I can hold the speed in the back end of the race. I'd done more volume this year than last (when I did 1:18:3x) so was hopeful of an improvement but probably I'm at a similar level of endurance, and went off too quick yday for the conditions - still no regrets, it's good to roll the dice!

Enjoyed the race though - now they've got a sub 1:25 pen it's very relaxed to get a decent place in the start pen, and the logistics are fantastic. Plus there's a decent field so nice to be warming up with the elites Smile Saw Johnny Hay walking back from Reading town centre just after halfway - hope he had a lift waiting otherwise that would've taken a while.

Good running everyone else on a tough weekend - hope those building to the marathons didn't push too hard in the conditions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 357, 358, 359 ... 375, 376, 377  Next
Page 358 of 377

Jump to: