Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 368, 369, 370 ... 375, 376, 377  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyjsg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Crikey twhat, I'd need to consider amputation to get down to 66kg, try running with a 10KG kettlebell next time you are in the gym Smile

Been quite tired this weekend and not done an awful lot in the grand scheme of things, did get out on my bike today though.

Really easy until Sunday now, might keep off the running altogether to let the stomach settle down.

Trying not to think about it too much, and have almost written it off in my head, but I'm fairly sure when I get there things will change and it will be hard not to follow the sub-3 pacer to begin with! Think I'm trying to sandbag myself!

Anyone checked the early forecast, looks cold.

Jeff

I found it difficult to motivate myself over the weekend and ended up swimming yesterday as couldnt face going out for an hour run so ended up a bit short on my plan for last week but not going to stress too much as followed it with an easy 10 today, got a couple of 7 milers in this week with a couple of short efforts but nothing major.

Also same as you Jeff in I would have to cut a leg off too, Ive not dared weigh myself as it would either lower or raise performance expectation for me and Im not sure either would be good. Im probably circa 78KGs at the moment which would be the lightest Ive been for over 20 years.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i've put weight on in the last week, but to counter that i've pretty much been as far away from marathon thoughts and stress as i could possibly be. So i'm going to take a small drop in fitness and gain in weight against a massive mental refresh as being a net positive gain.

Frustratingly the physio i use has been on easter hols, and now her son has chicken pox, so i'm not going to get the chance to see her. I've had a ocuple of bad experiences of poor physio/massage, so i'm going to have to speak with some friends for a recommendation as i feel like my legs need a proper massage. I'm still carrying tightness and heaviness from the big weeks.

Further to the first paragraph, i feel really disassociated from the marathon at the moment. I think it's that weird thing where you've been building up to this big thing in your head for so, so long that when it finally comes around, it almost just appears conceptual still, and not real. I feel like i've just been super lazy and slack on training and diet as being off work and the usual routines have just messed everythign up in my head. I know the reality is that i've put a lot of effort in the last few months, but feeling so refreshed now it all feels like it was so far in the past that it doesn't count. I don't think i'm articulating this very well, but i guess it's just the usual irrational feeling of not having done enough and being under prepared, but at the same time being totally cool about it. I'm sure all will change come Friday!!

managed to get myself a nice hotel room in Hilton Westminster at the 11.8th hour, as my friend forgot he'd offered for me to stay and is now away at a wedding! Luckliy i'd done some credit card freebie thing a while ago and had a free Hilton night to use up before August - i knew it would come in handy at some point! My wife isn't so pleased, as she is staying in Basingstoke with some friends, trying to manage our toddler sleeping somewhere different, going crazy with her little friend etc whilst i have a king sized room all to myself! Shocked Very Happy hehe
YKK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMH - Sounds awful, I am impressed you can keep going, though I get it, certainly something I would do...

Unlike some it seems, I have had a good final week.
Comfortable near 1/2 marathon training run in almost 3 hour mara pace.
Sub 36 minute 10k (big pb).
All this after the 50 miler not 4 days before.
I have gone as deep into a taper as I dare, still holding 100k last week.

What I like about heavy training is the short bit coming out the other side, pre race where even easy running feels fast. This is basically how I judge what kind of shape I am in. Sundays 8ish miles (which I always try and run the Sunday before) was very comfortable and near 3 hour pace. So all in all I think I am in the best shape I have been, which is to be expected as apart from the knee niggle week this is the biggest volume of running I have achieved. No doubt this will lead to over optimistic expectations next week and I will blow/slow around 16 - 20 miles. Hopefully that will still produce a pb as all pb's at marathon distance have followed a similar pattern Smile
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK - that all looks very hopeful to me!!!

So i'm back in work, and that means analysis time!

Manchester 2015
11 weeks training block
648km run
4.30/km average pace
59kms average per week
(plus some bike commuting, a few miles each way, very easy)

London 2017
11 weeks training block
1224km run
4.35/km average pace
121kms average per week
Plus 11 hours on the turbo, heated aerobic sessions to save the knee.

With the turbo converted at around 13kms per hour - which i think is a reaosnable conversion for this type of training i.e. mainly aerobic based, with the leg strength already sorted through the past 11 weeks of mileage - it pushes my total volume up to 1367 and up 3km per week for the average.

I managed to hit my one big session - 10 miles at TMP on battered legs - and only did one long run over 21.1 km (including one HM race) and that was 2 weeks before the race - 26.5km at 4.23 pace (but the last 10 miles averaged at 4.15 pace).

What does that all mean ... who knows?!?! It's slightly unconventional, and i have an awful lot of doubters amongst my friends/running colleagues who steadfastedly believe on the one true way - P&D! So i'm hoping that i end up right and not them!! Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

So for anyone else there ...

I'm gingerbongo - Peter Fletcher - can't remember my number - Fast GFA Red start - Blue Exmouth Harriers vest with yellow under the arms - going to go for it and put my body on the line and shoot for 2.39.xx and see what happens! You get nowhere without trying eh?! [/u]
andyjsg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

So for anyone else there ...

I'm gingerbongo - Peter Fletcher - can't remember my number - Fast GFA Red start - Blue Exmouth Harriers vest with yellow under the arms - going to go for it and put my body on the line and shoot for 2.39.xx and see what happens! You get nowhere without trying eh?! [/u]

Ahh so this makes more sense from our strava conversations....

I'm in FGFA too in my yellow (with red and a black stripe) Basingstoke top (couple of club mates in with me too), going for slightly slower than your good self so need to make sure I'm not chasing everyone although I plan to start at 6:05 pace and slow it down by approx 5 secs per mile every 5K or so until I get to 6:20 then try and hold on until the later end of the race where I may throw caution to the wind.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGFA in an Alzheimer's Society vest with my arm in a sling until I put my bag on the lorry. Currently hoping knee has healed enough for me to run 26.2Smile

Never had a taper like it.............

Really good to hear that people are going well. I like to chat before the start so would be good to have some time with anyone of a similar mindset.
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the red fast good for age too.. running in a bright flouro yellow charidee vest with my name on the front and bright yellow Mizunos. Will keep an eye out for everyone. Think i will recognise GB and Chickenboy from strava pics.
Spent the weekend with loads of kids, cousins, babies etcetce. They all had snotty noses. Massively paranoid now. Especially as the 1 mile at marathon pace during my easy 4 miles yesterday felt not quite as easy as i'd hoped Confused
triathlondaz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FGFA red start for me too, Crohns and Colitis vest and purple and yellow tutu!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very exciting stuff ladies and gents, you are all super prepped. I have no doubt everyone's goals are there for the taking.

I'm eating chocolate and swimming quite well Wink

I shall be somewhere in the GFA pen at Greenwich, I think.

I was gunning for 2:49 but I'm really not too bothered anymore, I'm just going to go with the flow and see what happens

Hopefully I shall bump into a few of you, black boots and pink socks for me!!
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which charity twhat?

Looking forward to approaching strange men and asking them if they are on the sub 3 thread on TriTalk............
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB, the mental relaxation of a break will probably help a lot and I think the total amount of miles and double run days will prove you right.

This double marathon plan of mine with London as a backup now seems like a very bad idea as I've had twice the tapering misery and TBH in the last few days I've actually thought balls to it and just did a bit of what I wanted, run on the hills and a bike ride.

But your rallying call has helped a bit and the excitement of the race getting nearer.

I'll be racing in a black vest with yellow band, nym.ac, but I'm only in the green GFA pen. But I'll probably be doing some kind of warm-up on the road just near the red GFA start so if anyone recognises me and wants to say hello feel free.

Equally, if you prefer to do your own thing to get into the zone etc. I appreciate that!

Jeff
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
Which charity twhat?

Looking forward to approaching strange men and asking them if they are on the sub 3 thread on TriTalk............

I will be running for a small local place, Havens Hospice. I raised money for them last time too and just figure even though its my own entry, it is the London Marathon...

They are literally a stones throw from my house and put on local events.. Southend 1/2 marathon is really good... and after the council cancelled their Southend Marathon in march at short notice.. thought i should throw a few 'sponsor me' emails out again.... even if people are literally bombarded by this kind of stuff these days...

Still massively paranoid i am fighting off illness... and am in a massive conundrum about which shoes to run in....
Rolling Eyes
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same with the 'it's London, why not' fundraising twhat. Ran for Macmillan for five years after they helped a friend and then my FiL and Alzheimer's this year as my FiL was diagnosed last year and the Alzheimer's Society has already proved helpful.

You are not coming down with anything other than taper madness. You will be fine as soon as you start on Sunday.

Physio had cancellation so saw her today, she stuck needles in my knee, used the ultrasound (which she NEVER does but said that the two things it's good for are mastitis and bruising and boy do I have bruising) and has taped me like Robocop - both knees and the elbow. The egg shaped lump below my knee is apparently bruising where the patella tendon inserts, potentially painful, possibly limiting but not something I'm going to do myself any harm by running with so we're as good to go as we're likely to be (though I'm still hopeful of some more natural healing by Sunday). Test run tomorrow.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

number /goody bag picked up last night. Expo is good, i was 240 lighter within 20mins Shocked Drove back home along the embankment towards westminster and got pretty excited, barriers are already being placed. Those last few miles really are fantastic if you've the energy to pick your head up and have a look around Very Happy

stay strong and relaxed everyone, its going to be a great day
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to all...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 368, 369, 370 ... 375, 376, 377  Next
Page 369 of 377

Jump to: