Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 374, 375, 376, 377  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
What did you mean by structure then JC?

a plan comprising a balance of efficiency, tempo, interval, form, functional conditioning, recovery etc...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intervals and temp both sound like speed work to me? I do recovery, much shorter runs on some days and a day off when life dictates or if I feel I need one.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
Intervals and temp both sound like speed work to me? I do recovery, much shorter runs on some days and a day off when life dictates or if I feel I need one.

Of sorts, yes, but it need not be either excessive in quality or volume especially initially

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London GFA entries close tomorrow afternoon! Get them in!
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year off marathoning for me! This year broke me mentally and physiclly i think!

Just about starting to get my mojo back now, actually went into the garden last night and did some S&C stuff (back went last weekend). It's time to start fighting back against this body! I have lost a ridiculous amount of fitness, so going to start from the botto, no expectations, no rushing and see what happens.

I've literally done nothing for about a month other than a few climbs. No aerobic work whatsoever!!
Tri it man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered so hoping it's my year after 3 consecutive years of injuries affecting 2 years not starting or a compromised start like this year. Marathon training is the hard bit and getting to the line.
YKK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep in again, Champ start for me though if I get my ars in gear and join a club.

Since the marathon, I have run 1x50, 1x100 & 1x1 mile.

It was tough ramping the mileage up after the marathon and then again after the 50 for the 100. Biggest taper was for the 1 mile (last night) where I literally ran 7.5k in the 10 days since the 100. Not ideal! Anyhow it was good fun, as it is my first short/track race I naturally went out way to quick and faded on the last couple of laps.

Pondering the autumn currently, current thoughts are join club lots of short hard reps in the summer and perhaps target a (very) fast half in the autumn.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
A year off marathoning for me! This year broke me mentally and physiclly i think!

Same, but I only have 1 year of GFA left, so I'm applying and then will defer. I also need to mentally remotivate myself!
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered Brighton for next spring.... Thought it would make a change after 4x London. Plus I didnt run in a marathon in 2016 and screwed up this year so dont qualify at the moment !

Ive been running a fair bit since London but not loads... raced a couple of 10ks which went pretty well. Not quite pb form but i fancy maybe setting some new ones in the autumn. NO marathon until the spring though thank you very much.. its still too raw!!!
Grifter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entered London GFA. Need to get the monkey off my back and put in a decent performance after 2 fails on that course.

Running is ticking over nicely at the mo and I'm seeing the benefit of a slow start to the year as I am peaking later, for tri season. Not putting in big mileage but ticking off the hard session every week and then 2-3 easy runs around it.

16:21 PB at parkrun last month and then 35:01 PB on a toughish course last weekend in 28deg heat. Ideally want to go sub 16 and sub 34 this year, we'll see.

No plan to race longer than 10k until 2018 as I'll want some down time before starting in Jan for London.
andyjsg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt enter London as still planning to do Boston as my 40th treat next year (my birthday is the weekend before) and my time from VLM puts me 25 mins under the qualifier so should have no problems getting in.

I still have NYC to go in November this year and I guess I had bets start ramping the mileage up a bit. Ignoring the XC marathon I ran last weekend (which seems to have broken me a bit) Im mostly concentrating on speed work on the track at the moment to see if I can get faster before going back into a full set of marathon training.

I should probably book myself on a triathlon this year as well Smile
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grifter wrote:

16:21 PB at parkrun last month and then 35:01 PB on a toughish course last weekend in 28deg heat. Ideally want to go sub 16 and sub 34 this year, we'll see.

16:21 at a parkrun is a quality run. You definitely can go sub-34 with that kind of speed, and IIRC you did a low 34 as part of an 8 mile race before anyway didn't you?
Grifter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Grifter wrote:

16:21 at a parkrun is a quality run. You definitely can go sub-34 with that kind of speed, and IIRC you did a low 34 as part of an 8 mile race before anyway didn't you?

Yeah something like 34:30 I think.

I need to avoid injury and find the right race with a decent field to pace with. Sounds simple!
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided I better join in this thread again after a pretty poor year of training / racing for me. Second child was born in early March and I had just about got back to something resembling training before being hit by some sort of virus that gave me a terrible cold for a month - couldn't manage any training. After that cleared I had a whole week before getting another cold - but hopefully this is a bit more minor.

So had to cancel my only ironman for the year and just getting back into training now.

Not got any race in mind and just trying to build the mileage back up but as always I've got some different ideas about how to achieve it.

With two small children and working from home, I've had to come up with a new plan to fit training in and it sadly means much of my mileage is going to be on the treadmill. I can only really spare a bit of time during the day and so have a half hour break in the morning and half hour in the afternoon where I still need to be near the computer / phone. My treadmill is in my office so that's what I'll be doing. 2x30min sessions a day during the week and then hopefully some outdoors stuff at the weekend.

To try and stave off the boredom of the treadmill, I've written myself an app which is sort of TrainerRoad for the treadmill. So it has workouts and tells you what speed to be running at etc
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a deferral from this year so I've entered it, but not sure if\what level of priority it will be (haven't given up on sub-3 yet though).

I'm not unlike GB ATM, I've been suffering with a couple of injuries and what the Dr says is a virus that I'm struggling to shake off.

Just had about 3 weeks completely off and starting back with 2 *15 min bike & 2* 15 min swims per week and pretty much written off this season.

Certainly won't be doing the training I did this year which has probably contributed to it, although it wasn't significantly higher than other years.

So fingers crossed I can actually run by next year!

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 374, 375, 376, 377  Next
Page 375 of 377

Jump to: