Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 375, 376, 377  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's all aboard the pain train again for everyone!

I am trying my very bestest to commit to a regular S&C programme now, as i don't really need any more injuries/lay offs to tell me that actually listening to the physio's advice and actually doing what she says will likely help!

So i'm 100% success rate at the moment with 2 in 2 weeks! My wife is just getting into a bit of cycling, so she's been going out for an hour or so twice a week. I've decided that rather than watching climbing videos on YouTube and stuffing my face with biscuits, that i should use those two hours for rolling, stretching and strength stuff. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to do some easy running for a couple of weeks, build the mileage reasonably quickly, but nothing too crazy. Then i'm going to go back to adding in some intensity - one session a week with club or some friends and one day a week steady hill reps to preapre for the Welsh 3K in 6 weeks time - which i cannot wait for. They (my friend's company) ran the course over two days on that stunning, hot weekend and some of the pics are just epic! Bet it's bl00dy misty when i go up!!

Grifter - we all know you've got what it takes in the locker, just need that execution now!

Good luck everyone else!
YKK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB - What always amazes me after some down time is how quickly it comes back. When ramping up to marathon training, I generally start with a Parkrun somewhere in the mid 19's and end up low 18's within about a month of 70k+ weeks, pushing on from those times is then the hard bit.

I am having a couple of weeks off now and am half writing the above to convince myself that all will come back when required Smile
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Grifter, planning on not racing longer than 10k thsi year. Also thinking about a triathlon in September. Maybe.
Aiming to run Southend Parkrun this saturday. First in a while. Going on my recent 10k form i think i'm looking at 18.20 ish. The plan is to push on and try and hit some new pbs in the autumn.... (17.58 and 37.31 from 2012/2013)
I'll feel a lot more comfortable trying to run 2h5xmins in the spring if i can do that....
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Same as Grifter, planning on not racing longer than 10k thsi year. Also thinking about a triathlon in September. Maybe.
Aiming to run Southend Parkrun this saturday. First in a while. Going on my recent 10k form i think i'm looking at 18.20 ish. The plan is to push on and try and hit some new pbs in the autumn.... (17.58 and 37.31 from 2012/2013)
I'll feel a lot more comfortable trying to run 2h5xmins in the spring if i can do that....

With an 18 min 5k you should be on for a sub 37 10k Twhat i reckon.

And i hope you're right YKK - i'm off out at lunchtime to have a go at tjhe Strava #mymile thing. No running at all for 1 month and no speedwork for coming up to a year, with the exception of a couple of 5k races, last one back in April. Sh!t me this is going to be ugly!! Mad
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like having time off has done you any harm... maybe you should not run for 6 months before your next marathon. You'd probably still sub-3 you cheeky fecker Very Happy
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Doesn't seem like having time off has done you any harm... maybe you should not run for 6 months before your next marathon. You'd probably still sub-3 you cheeky fecker Very Happy

It's 'only' a mile though. I get progressively sh!tter with every additional mile!! I think with a bit more training, and getting back to a bit of speedwork i should be able to knock down my PB this summer if i go to the track and find some other similar level clubmates to help me push.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've entered the Leicester Marathon in mid October, aiming for a gfa time to get into London. Sub 3 unlikely but will be aiming for under 3:10. Anyone else got an autumn marathon pencilled in?
twhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
So I've entered the Leicester Marathon in mid October, aiming for a gfa time to get into London. Sub 3 unlikely but will be aiming for under 3:10. Anyone else got an autumn marathon pencilled in?

There are no marathons in the autumn. And even if there was one 20 miles from my house and i was running faster than i ever had at shorter distances, there is no way i'd be tempted to do it. No way. Not me.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
Wheezy wrote:

There are no marathons in the autumn. And even if there was one 20 miles from my house and i was running faster than i ever had at shorter distances, there is no way i'd be tempted to do it. No way. Not me.

That's a pretty emphatic no twhat! Just me then!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for Berlin which I got under GFA couple years back. I couldn't make it last year so deferred to next month. I've copenhagen IM next week then Weymouth 70.3 mid sept, so I'll either drop in and plod around for the experience or bin it, haven't decided yet. BUT, I am making a return to Valencia in November for the third time. Sub 3 with the last two efforts so hoping to make hat trick
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one CB - sounds like fun!

it's a definititive no from me as well. in fact,m the way i'm feeling now, i don't think any road marathons are on the horizon for a few years. I'm only 2 in, and am already sick of them! haha
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Nice one CB - sounds like fun!

it's a definititive no from me as well. in fact,m the way i'm feeling now, i don't think any road marathons are on the horizon for a few years. I'm only 2 in, and am already sick of them! haha

Haha, you can run Berlin for me if you want Smile))
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved the run training for Outlaw so considering an Autumn event to capitalise on it, Leicester would be ideal. First bit of exercise today after 3 weeks off/hurting, time to decide whether I want to/can/should? do another hard 8-10 weeks for either a full or a half.

Would be keen to see what could do for a standalone marathon, 3:31 at Outlaw so 3:05/sub 3 would be good target.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
Loved the run training for Outlaw so considering an Autumn event to capitalise on it, Leicester would be ideal. First bit of exercise today after 3 weeks off/hurting, time to decide whether I want to/can/should? do another hard 8-10 weeks for either a full or a half.

Would be keen to see what could do for a standalone marathon, 3:31 at Outlaw so 3:05/sub 3 would be good target.

Do it! 🏃
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

Do it! 🏃

You done Leicester before? I did the 1/2 two years ago and thought it was brilliant: fast, well organised and huge support & atmosphere but friend did the full last year and less complimentary about the extra loop.
Then again I'm not sure any course could have let him enjoy his lack of training towards the end...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 375, 376, 377  Next
Page 376 of 377

Jump to: