Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 384, 385, 386  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Tom did a 2:37 this year to get inside the top 100, when last year he would have been ~250th with that time. I think that speaks a lot for the conditions!
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished in 3:08:35 1795th place. I paced it to go sub 3 and went half way in just under 1:29. Held that pace until mile 19 when the wheels fell off, with 6 miles to go it was all I could do not to walk.
Looking at last years results the last sub 3 finisher finished in 1936th place so 141 places further down the field than I finished. Hindsight is great but I had pinned my training & hopes on a sub 3 & paid the price for that pacing in the last miles.
Some how that is not much comfort though for all the hard hours put in to the training, not even a GFA place next year or a PB.
The event is mega though I will definitely enter the ballot & run just for fun one day. For now I'm just looking at the easiest way to run sub 3.
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
For now I'm just looking at the easiest way to run sub 3.

San Sebastian.
twhat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.14.42 for me. 2400th
Still felt under the weather on saturday, lingerings of a bad cold/chest. Slept fitfully but woke up feeling fresh enough. Took a 'marathon special' train for runnners and volunteers from the Essex riviera with some friends and clubmates.. all buggering off to GFA. I enjoyed the morning, visited a friends next to the park to use the facilities
Very Happy

Starting off the mass red start was ok, no traffic issues really. Ran the first 5k at 2.58 pace, felt ok but hot. Another mile or two and decided i didnt want another 'walk in' and eased off slightly, deciding i wanted to enjoy the day and see what happens. Ran completely on RPE, as fast as i felt i could without risking a blow up. Soaked myself at every water station, saw my little boy at mile 14, emergency jelly babies from him, that was cool, and although i slowed a bit i held things together pretty well and pushed the final mile to nip under the old GFA.
I was pleased with how it went, ive never run well in the heat and the earlly decision to back off and enjoy the day paid dividends, some clubmates really suffered. I know ive got sub 3 in me, i think i'll try again in the autumn as i want a year off from marathons next year to concentrate on 5k as i seem to be better at that Very Happy

Thanks for all the kind words on strava and well done to everyone for getting out there yesterday.
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2:49 and change for me.

Pretty happy with that.

Started off at 2:45 pace, with the quick first 5k was happily ahead of schedule but HR was slightly too high for the pace. Went through 10k on pace, but then made the very grown up decision to let it slip a little, so sat at between 6:20 and 6:30 min/mile for the next 25 or so k,

I was expecting to blow the whole time, but didn't really, I can see pace slipped to 6:50 near the end. My legs felt like they were going to collapse from under me for the last 10 miles or so, but kept moving forward and was over taking quite a few.

I finished strong and am delighted to come under 2:50 given the heat and last week.

Strangely today my legs feel a lot better than they have most other years. So maybe a marathon in the taper does not help with the run, but helps with the recovery...
Grifter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
2:49 and change for me.

Pretty happy with that.

Started off at 2:45 pace, with the quick first 5k was happily ahead of schedule but HR was slightly too high for the pace. Went through 10k on pace, but then made the very grown up decision to let it slip a little, so sat at between 6:20 and 6:30 min/mile for the next 25 or so k,

I was expecting to blow the whole time, but didn't really, I can see pace slipped to 6:50 near the end. My legs felt like they were going to collapse from under me for the last 10 miles or so, but kept moving forward and was over taking quite a few.

I finished strong and am delighted to come under 2:50 given the heat and last week.

Strangely today my legs feel a lot better than they have most other years. So maybe a marathon in the taper does not help with the run, but helps with the recovery...

I think we ran very similar races, albeit from different pens.

I had a calf niggle last week which nearly scuppered the whole thing but decided to give it a go. Set off cautiously at 2.47 pace rather than my previous plan to get to half in 1.22. It paid dividends as I felt strong until 30k and even after that I only dropped a few secs/k.

The heat didn't bother me too much. I doused my hat and took sips of water every mile. I then took 4 gels at 30 min intervals. Where you usually see most people strong until 20 miles, this time I saw people dropping off not long after half way. Not sure if you can find out but I reckon I overtook hundreds in the second half.

2:49:29 with a very small positive split. Pretty sure I could crack 2.45 next time. My position (413) was worth a 2.41 last year so, as others have said, conditions affected a lot of people.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some very impressive times all, well done! Worship
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done everyone! Smile

2:51 for me, decided to set off cautiously and see how I felt after a few miles. Wasn't sure how the heat would affect me..but adopted the dowse/drink approach at each water station and felt ok. Kept it together until about 20 and then quads started to tighten and pace started to slip. Managed to enjoy the embankment with some crowd interaction once I thought sub 2:50 was out of reach.

After I finished legs actually felt better than normal and I'm sure I got a PB for the stretch from medal collection to GFA bag collection Very Happy. Thought it must have been a reasonable run as there were only 2 people in the changing tent in meet'n'greet and normally there are quite a few bodies in there.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, some great runs all around!!
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job at London all! All great times

It is really clear that those who who get sub 3 know they are going to get sub three. Those of us who aspire hope it will some how all hold together.

I suspect nothing will beat the need to improve the training for those of use looking for 5% more speed.
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
YKK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grifter wrote:
this time I saw people dropping off not long after half way. Not sure if you can find out but I reckon I overtook hundreds in the second half.

There is a link that tells you how many you passed 1st and 2nd half. I passed 238 in the 2nd half and only 21 passed me. Around even's in the first half.

I wonder if one of those was you near the end Smile
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stat top trumps...

2nd half - 288 passed, 24 passed you

I guess being a bit slower gave more passing opportunities 😉
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the post-race freebies like at London? Have done sub-2.45s at Austin and Chicago before, and then spent 2+ hours enjoying the huge varieties of free beers, wines, food, socks, shirts etc. in the sunshine within the runners-only finish enclosure with other friends when they have finished. Pays to stay locally though so no driving required. Sucks to be a 5hr+ runner as most of the good stuff is gone by the time they finish Wink
twhat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupperware wrote:
For stat top trumps...

2nd half - 288 passed, 24 passed you

I guess being a bit slower gave more passing opportunities 😉

Haha.. i'd say so !!

first half 2860 passed/ 147 passed you
2nd half 971 passed/ 93 passed you

Tonystark... it's a really good t shirt this year. And a nice cereal bar. But not a great deal else.. apple/water/lucozade...
Grifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YKK wrote:
Grifter wrote:
this time I saw people dropping off not long after half way. Not sure if you can find out but I reckon I overtook hundreds in the second half.

There is a link that tells you how many you passed 1st and 2nd half. I passed 238 in the 2nd half and only 21 passed me. Around even's in the first half.

I wonder if one of those was you near the end Smile

Can someone post the link please? Ta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 384, 385, 386  Next
Page 385 of 386

Jump to: