Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub 3 hour marathon training thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391, 392  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1270
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.4x ers i know wear them. Consensus seems to be that they reduce fatigue rather than make them any faster... although in a marathon i guess this is one and the same....
They also say that they tend to be less sore after running in them, and that they last 200miles. Whoopy-do !

Ive been toying with getting some myself although i couldnt subject myself to a visit to Niketown on blackfriday for the privilege...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1705
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stenard i honestly don't htink you'll have much trouble in breaking the sub 3 barrier having followed your 2018 on here!!

You've got a great work ethic, disciplined and informed. Your running is plenty good enough, it's just whether the mara gods play ball on the day/allolw you to avoid injury! I would say 2.50 would be a reasonable initial target to work off.

Personally I could never justify that sort of cash for a pair of race shoes. If i did another road mara I'd stretch as far as a pair of Ons, as i know i could get some reasonable mileage out of them as well. Though i can't justify the price tag for just a general training shoe. The pegasus' (Pegasi?) have served me well for the last few years so i'll probably stick with them for training shoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TriSam




Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 1299
Location: Tunbridge Wells

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valencia Marathon this weekend! Good luck to Chickenboy or whatever his name is on here Very Happy Anyone else entered into it?

I've been loving the XC running at the moment, and consistently hitting 50k weeks. Buildup for Cambridge half marathon is starting soon, with the aim to get the sub-75 monkey off my back for good!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1705
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Valencia Marathon this weekend! Good luck to Chickenboy or whatever his name is on here Very Happy Anyone else entered into it?

I've been loving the XC running at the moment, and consistently hitting 50k weeks. Buildup for Cambridge half marathon is starting soon, with the aim to get the sub-75 monkey off my back for good!!


When is that Sam ... you've got to smash it this time; surely!!!

Yeah good luck CB. You'll smash it!

Getting real jealous of all the training and racing as i'm still injured. ***must be patient***

also me ***screw this***
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 2049

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Stenard i honestly don't htink you'll have much trouble in breaking the sub 3 barrier having followed your 2018 on here!!

You've got a great work ethic, disciplined and informed. Your running is plenty good enough, it's just whether the mara gods play ball on the day/allolw you to avoid injury! I would say 2.50 would be a reasonable initial target to work off.

Personally I could never justify that sort of cash for a pair of race shoes. If i did another road mara I'd stretch as far as a pair of Ons, as i know i could get some reasonable mileage out of them as well. Though i can't justify the price tag for just a general training shoe. The pegasus' (Pegasi?) have served me well for the last few years so i'll probably stick with them for training shoes.

Fingers crossed.
At the 30% off price, they were only 10 more than the RRP of the Brooks Glycerin I have historically used. Although I do tend to buy them when I can get a discount, so they normally end up about the 100 mark.

Given what I spend on swim and bike, running trainers really are a drop in the ocean, and realistically the one thing in running kit that really can make a difference if you find the right one's for you.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buzz_




Joined: 19 May 2007
Posts: 445

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Given what I spend on swim and bike, running trainers really are a drop in the ocean, and realistically the one thing in running kit that really can make a difference if you find the right one's for you.

Tend to agree. I had a mate who found a make/model of shoe that really worked for him. Though he understandably baulked at the 120 price tag, until switching brands caused him a few trips to the physio. Seemed cheap after that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1705
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:
Stenard i honestly don't htink you'll have much trouble in breaking the sub 3 barrier having followed your 2018 on here!!

You've got a great work ethic, disciplined and informed. Your running is plenty good enough, it's just whether the mara gods play ball on the day/allolw you to avoid injury! I would say 2.50 would be a reasonable initial target to work off.

Personally I could never justify that sort of cash for a pair of race shoes. If i did another road mara I'd stretch as far as a pair of Ons, as i know i could get some reasonable mileage out of them as well. Though i can't justify the price tag for just a general training shoe. The pegasus' (Pegasi?) have served me well for the last few years so i'll probably stick with them for training shoes.

Fingers crossed.
At the 30% off price, they were only 10 more than the RRP of the Brooks Glycerin I have historically used. Although I do tend to buy them when I can get a discount, so they normally end up about the 100 mark.

Given what I spend on swim and bike, running trainers really are a drop in the ocean, and realistically the one thing in running kit that really can make a difference if you find the right one's for you.


I wouldn't disagree with that ... i'm just not in a position in life where i can spend anything on Swimming or cycling, so the running expense is under the microscope - with wife, two young children etc Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PCP




Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 1998
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
stenard wrote:
Given what I spend on swim and bike, running trainers really are a drop in the ocean, and realistically the one thing in running kit that really can make a difference if you find the right one's for you.

Tend to agree. I had a mate who found a make/model of shoe that really worked for him. Though he understandably baulked at the 120 price tag, until switching brands caused him a few trips to the physio. Seemed cheap after that.


I have 4 boxes of my usual Saucony's here all bought at 70 when the new 'improved' version came out at 120. Should see me through to next autumn!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 2049

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
stenard wrote:
Given what I spend on swim and bike, running trainers really are a drop in the ocean, and realistically the one thing in running kit that really can make a difference if you find the right one's for you.

Tend to agree. I had a mate who found a make/model of shoe that really worked for him. Though he understandably baulked at the 120 price tag, until switching brands caused him a few trips to the physio. Seemed cheap after that.


I have 4 boxes of my usual Saucony's here all bought at 70 when the new 'improved' version came out at 120. Should see me through to next autumn!

Yeah, I do the same. My 3 pairs of Glycerin 13's are now just about all dead. I've used Glycerin for long runs for years, but all my marathons were done in 13's which I had stocked up on (except my IM one which I did in Asics Tri Noosa 11's).

The day before I stumbled on the Vaporfly's I'd actually tried the new Glycerin 16's seeing as I needed to replace the 13's. They seem like a real step up as well. They feel much lighter, less bulky, and more responsive than the 13's, despite actually weighing precisely the same on scales.
_________________
My blog: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/
Random stuff and race reports
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grifter




Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 615
Location: Treading water

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Valencia Marathon this weekend! Good luck to Chickenboy or whatever his name is on here Very Happy Anyone else entered into it?

I've been loving the XC running at the moment, and consistently hitting 50k weeks. Buildup for Cambridge half marathon is starting soon, with the aim to get the sub-75 monkey off my back for good!!


I've started to love XC this year too. I think previously i was coming into autumn without run fitness and using XC to sharpen up. Consequently i always felt slow relative to my peers. This year i came in off a decent HM in Oct and suddenly was much higher in the XC too. That said, i'm nursing a small tear in the plantar fascia right now so have missed 2 races Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 18163
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last 2 pairs of Zoom Fly on eBay cost me 48 & 50 Cool
_________________
27 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YKK




Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 312
Location: North&West london

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Valencia Marathon this weekend! Good luck to Chickenboy or whatever his name is on here Very Happy Anyone else entered into it?

I've been loving the XC running at the moment, and consistently hitting 50k weeks. Buildup for Cambridge half marathon is starting soon, with the aim to get the sub-75 monkey off my back for good!!


I assume Cambridge will be flat, but very dependent on wind? When is it?

My hopes of getting near 1:15 are pretty much gone. Now I am in NZ it seems everywhere is windy and hilly. Though at the moment my hip is allowing me to max out at 6k runs. Given the majority follow me on Strava you would know this is very low for me. Like GB I am trying to maintain with turbo sessions, but you never know, maybe my FTP will go up which would be nice.


Good reminder, good luck CB Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8390
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
My last 2 pairs of Zoom Fly on eBay cost me 48 & 50 Cool


Do you have clown feet or geisha feet?
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TriSam




Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 1299
Location: Tunbridge Wells

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My whole running group is obsessed with the Vaporfly 4% Flyknits, I guess marketing does work!

Cambridge isn't until the 3rd of March but I've got a 16 week training schedule in the build up for it. Probably will be windy, but a nice fast field so hopefully I can hide in a group somewhere.

Gutted to hear about your plantar fascia Grifter, heal up soon. How long do you think you'll be out for? I've seen lots of bike sessions from you recently.

Sorry about your hip YKK, it's injury season!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twhat




Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 1270
Location: London

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
My whole running group is obsessed with the Vaporfly 4% Flyknits, I guess marketing does work!

Cambridge isn't until the 3rd of March but I've got a 16 week training schedule in the build up for it. Probably will be windy, but a nice fast field so hopefully I can hide in a group somewhere.

Gutted to hear about your plantar fascia Grifter, heal up soon. How long do you think you'll be out for? I've seen lots of bike sessions from you recently.

Sorry about your hip YKK, it's injury season!

I just saw an old friend go sub 35 for 10k in a pair. Thats a pb by close to a minute. I havent asked if he did any training or not....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391, 392  Next
Page 390 of 392
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.