Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Two marathons, four weeks: how dead will I be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy060289

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Two marathons, four weeks: how dead will I be? Reply with quote

Hello all,

After a bit of advice regarding multi marathoning. Ive recently finished London Marathon in 2:50:46 and although Im mostly happy with it I do feel I should have been closer to 2:48 and felt like the issue was more so with getting held up in a such a large event by slower runners around us (blue start had a two minute head start on red which meant I ended up running the the second half 2 minutes faster than the first and I had more to give)

My plan was originally to run New York Marathon in November which I have already entered and wasn't planning on going for a PB as I hear it is not a paticuarly fast course. Anyway, now I am considering entering the York (England) marathon in October and going all out for a PB there as it looks fast. It is 4 weeks out from New york which I am running more for the experience than time but would still like to run in a respectable time (ideally I would like a 2:45 at York followed by something sub-3 in New York). I just wouldn't want to be left completely destroyed by York and not able to enjoy New york at all. Id be planning on running 6 times a week, circa 60-70 miles a week with a few bike sessions per week as supplementary. Any thoughts on the feasibility? Obviously all these are personal everyone is different as well as being unknown territory but any input would be appreciated:)

Cheers,

Tom
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's certainly feasible, but really depends on your conditioning and powers of recovery...

you have time between now and then to run 20 at MP, then see how you recover and what seems to assist (lots of spinning out the legs on the bike) and then run 20 again...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
it's certainly feasible, but really depends on your conditioning and powers of recovery...

you have time between now and then to run 20 at MP, then see how you recover and what seems to assist (lots of spinning out the legs on the bike) and then run 20 again...

What he said - it's possible (for example a clubmate just did a 2:29 PB at VLM after running 2:31 at Brighton two weeks before, but is quite freakish with his recovery) but try it out as per exploereJC's suggestion.

Have you run after London yet? How are the legs?
YKK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two people who pb'd at Manchester and then pb'd at London (ie 3 weeks).

There were similarities
They were quick, near or below 2:30.
Both had mileage way over 100 a week.
I suspect they have both been running for many years.

From my own experience and I think I recover quite quickly.
I pb'd at Abingdon and then ran NY two weeks later. I ran slightly slower at NY which went well until 20 miles. I then fell apart, which I fully attribute to deep lying fatigue from Abingdon. My mileage was around 60 a week.

I would think 4 weeks is definitely feasible, but I would suggest getting your mileage as high as possible.

Edited to correct #ofweeks

Last edited by YKK on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester to London was 3 weeks this year.
tommy060289

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you find it Kingston?

Either way its on now. Have entered York so will see what I can do and then focus on recovery for four weeks and if it all goes wrong well at least it was an experiment for the future:)

Thanks for the tips guys. I went for my first run post-London last night nice and steady with keeping HR low and just keeping it smooth. Quads felt slightly heavy but it went away pretty quick and timewise was about 20s/km slower than MP so wasn't bad pace either for something so easy:)
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Imagine you will PB in New York.

Especially if you consider it a "tourist" event and go in with little expectations, just looking to enjoy the experience.

That normally leads to PB's Rather than all the hype, and stress, and overthinking that goes in to A races Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: