Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A response from Brett Sutton, and Chrissie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Towel




Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 4004

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS. wrote:
OK, thanks Daz, chrissie and BS.

I'll add that none of this has altered my opinion of CW in any way, she's a bloody excellent athlete and a delight to listen to. I will certainly be waving my flat at the PC on October 11th.


Why?

Is that some prayer to the puncture gods?

I'll be at the Ps that night, having a beer.
_________________
1 day until tomorrow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sniffer




Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martidj wrote:
Why do so many of the world's top triathletes beat a path to his door ?
(at their own cost I might add)

The answer is simple - his athletes win all the time !

Perhaps people on TT should listen to what he has to say. You might all learn something.


Yes, the simple answer is simple - he is a successful coach and professional athletes like to be successful. But it does not sound like you have been "studious" enough in your reading of the relevant threads, to me, if you think that is the point that some people have been making. To give you a clue, the enigma is wrapped up in this riddle:

Quote:
Their character is not, and should not, be placed in question,


Sutton starts by saying its not his intention to defend the indefensible and then spends most of his response defending it. After 20 years I'd have thought he'd come up with something better than it was consensual and she seemed chippy enough to everyone else at the time. By the way: "In the court case it was established, without hesitation, that it was consensual"? I don't think so - its called the age of consent for a reason. But whatever, no-one much cares for the facts of the case, because he was convicted and that is the only fact that matters - its not about Sutton and its not really about Chrissie. Its about moral vacuums and skin thickness. You can talk to Brett Sutton and his squad as much as you want but it doesn't qualify you for sh1t if you miss the whole point of the debate.

One other thing. Invasion of privacy? What? I'm pretty sure I have just read an article (a very good one) about him and his success and his methods, with photos. Howard Hughes he ain't

I have to say, people do seem to get very starstruck on this forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sniffer




Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, "hi" by the way

Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bonger




Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 5951

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniffer wrote:
martidj wrote:
Why do so many of the world's top triathletes beat a path to his door ?
(at their own cost I might add)

The answer is simple - his athletes win all the time !

Perhaps people on TT should listen to what he has to say. You might all learn something.


Yes, the simple answer is simple - he is a successful coach and professional athletes like to be successful. But it does not sound like you have been "studious" enough in your reading of the relevant threads, to me, if you think that is the point that some people have been making. To give you a clue, the enigma is wrapped up in this riddle:

Quote:
Their character is not, and should not, be placed in question,


Sutton starts by saying its not his intention to defend the indefensible and then spends most of his response defending it. After 20 years I'd have thought he'd come up with something better than it was consensual and she seemed chippy enough to everyone else at the time. By the way: "In the court case it was established, without hesitation, that it was consensual"? I don't think so - its called the age of consent for a reason. But whatever, no-one much cares for the facts of the case, because he was convicted and that is the only fact that matters - its not about Sutton and its not really about Chrissie. Its about moral vacuums and skin thickness. You can talk to Brett Sutton and his squad as much as you want but it doesn't qualify you for sh1t if you miss the whole point of the debate.

One other thing. Invasion of privacy? What? I'm pretty sure I have just read an article (a very good one) about him and his success and his methods, with photos. Howard Hughes he ain't

I have to say, people do seem to get very starstruck on this forum.

That's for sure, Hughes is a bit of a hero of mine, mainly because of his innovative ability in airplane fuselage design but also because he did create the half-cup bra.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JollyRoger




Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 2627
Location: Halifax, Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
martidj wrote:
Why do so many of the world's top triathletes beat a path to his door ?
(at their own cost I might add)

The answer is simple - his athletes win all the time !

Perhaps people on TT should listen to what he has to say. You might all learn something.


Yes, the simple answer is simple - he is a successful coach and professional athletes like to be successful. But it does not sound like you have been "studious" enough in your reading of the relevant threads, to me, if you think that is the point that some people have been making. To give you a clue, the enigma is wrapped up in this riddle:

Quote:
Their character is not, and should not, be placed in question,


Sutton starts by saying its not his intention to defend the indefensible and then spends most of his response defending it. After 20 years I'd have thought he'd come up with something better than it was consensual and she seemed chippy enough to everyone else at the time. By the way: "In the court case it was established, without hesitation, that it was consensual"? I don't think so - its called the age of consent for a reason. But whatever, no-one much cares for the facts of the case, because he was convicted and that is the only fact that matters - its not about Sutton and its not really about Chrissie. Its about moral vacuums and skin thickness. You can talk to Brett Sutton and his squad as much as you want but it doesn't qualify you for sh1t if you miss the whole point of the debate.

One other thing. Invasion of privacy? What? I'm pretty sure I have just read an article (a very good one) about him and his success and his methods, with photos. Howard Hughes he ain't

I have to say, people do seem to get very starstruck on this forum.

That's for sure, Hughes is a bit of a hero of mine, mainly because of his innovative ability in airplane fuselage design but also because he did create the half-cup bra.


Is that true about the bra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dj eck




Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely a distinct odour of BS about this particular thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pooface




Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to see things from the other point of view as well. He sounds really low on self-esteem, and I know how excruciatingly painful that can be. The way he talks of himself is uncomfortable to read: a man in bits, if he allows himself to dwell on it. Or are you guys glad of that? I really hope not. I think it is possible for people to change. Makes me feel sad actually that he will never be able to redeem himself in a lot of people's eyes. If you actually read what he's written he's doing an awful lot of good now. Such a shame he chose to do something stupid so long ago. Now time for my annihilation....

Last edited by pooface on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pooface




Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Posts: 1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, people are now saying that they didn't insult chrissie et al. You may not have, but some of the original posts were DEFINITELY derogatory towards her, saying how they didnt respect her or other athletes coached by BS. So let's rememebr these athletes are human, and whilst they shouldnt be affected by a forum, tritalk is clearly very influential, and it sounds as if they have been, so can people bear that in mind. I know it's all about free speech but how about you say what you would actually say to their faces and not behind their backs? I think in some people's cases it would be very different!

We want them in good spirits for Hawaii!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 10231
Location: Woburn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Daz.

My thoughts remain the same:

CW and others are adults and can make their choices accordingly but must expect some reference to this. I do however hope that the focus remains on their racing exploits.

If any good can come from this and its occasional airing then perhaps it can serve as a reminder for all coaches to maintain their professional integrity at all times.

If the federations want to be shot of BS then they must understand what he offers, provide it themselves or in others and thereby make him redundant.

As for BS:

I suffer from PTSD brought on by a situation where I made the wrong decision and suffer constantly from periods of depression as a result so in that respect I can empathize. I cannot however sympathize because the subject remains beyond my limits. All that talent but what a fool.
_________________
www.britishduathlon.org Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk
www.naturalrunningform.wordpress.com
Running analysis and feedback

Raising money for Help For Heroes.......standby for another world record attempt coming soon...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AthletesFoot




Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 842
Location: Sussex/London

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliice wrote:
Also, people are now saying that they didn't insult chrissie et al. You may not have, but some of the original posts were DEFINITELY derogatory towards her, saying how they didnt respect her or other athletes coached by BS. So let's rememebr these athletes are human, and whilst they shouldnt be affected by a forum, tritalk is clearly very influential, and it sounds as if they have been, so can people bear that in mind. I know it's all about free speech but how about you say what you would actually say to their faces and not behind their backs? I think in some people's cases it would be very different!

We want them in good spirits for Hawaii!!


Bang on, some of the points were clearly directed at her. Whatever we think of BS, some people will continue to get their kicks on the slating the guy. Maybe we can all move on, but I doubt if some will. They will continue to hound the guy and his athletes from the comfort of their office.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
martidj




Joined: 04 Jun 2004
Posts: 1370
Location: Brunel's Billiard Table

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniffer wrote:
martidj wrote:
Why do so many of the world's top triathletes beat a path to his door ?
(at their own cost I might add)

The answer is simple - his athletes win all the time !

Perhaps people on TT should listen to what he has to say. You might all learn something.


Yes, the simple answer is simple - he is a successful coach and professional athletes like to be successful. But it does not sound like you have been "studious" enough in your reading of the relevant threads, to me, if you think that is the point that some people have been making. To give you a clue, the enigma is wrapped up in this riddle:

Quote:
Their character is not, and should not, be placed in question,


Sutton starts by saying its not his intention to defend the indefensible and then spends most of his response defending it. After 20 years I'd have thought he'd come up with something better than it was consensual and she seemed chippy enough to everyone else at the time. By the way: "In the court case it was established, without hesitation, that it was consensual"? I don't think so - its called the age of consent for a reason. But whatever, no-one much cares for the facts of the case, because he was convicted and that is the only fact that matters - its not about Sutton and its not really about Chrissie. Its about moral vacuums and skin thickness. You can talk to Brett Sutton and his squad as much as you want but it doesn't qualify you for sh1t if you miss the whole point of the debate.

One other thing. Invasion of privacy? What? I'm pretty sure I have just read an article (a very good one) about him and his success and his methods, with photos. Howard Hughes he ain't

I have to say, people do seem to get very starstruck on this forum.


I'm a little old to get starstruck. Morally dubious he may be, but frankly I don't care in this context. Reason being how many people have

(a) Voted for a politician they know has a morally dubious past
(b) Bought goods or services they know originate from a morally dubious country

Since I reckon 90% of us have done at least one of these (and continue to do so) there does seem to be a double standard here.
_________________
What are these machines for ?
- Sir, I know not what these machines will be used for, but I do know you will tax them !

(Inventor of the electric motor Sir Michael Faraday to Chancellor Gladstone)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kemptonslim




Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 5893
Location: St. Luke's, London

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Daz for posting and Brett Sutton for replying. I won't belabor this by reiterating points I've made in other threads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Toyota_Crown




Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15163
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one aliice.
_________________
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
47IM+7DIM+D+Q=76IM
IMGrandSlam 04-13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Daz




Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 11764
Location: Hampton, London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissie has asked for the following Q&A to be pasted in this thread, where it belongs. It will not be in the General Q&A that will appear on the main tritalk webpage.

Quote:
Why did you agree to be coached by Brett given his history?

I didnít even know who Brett Sutton was when someone suggested that I go and visit him for a trial in January 2007. But being me I did my due diligence. A few internet searches told me a lot of what I needed to know, both fact and fiction, and I also spoke to people who had worked with him. These people who told me about his success as a coach, the methods he uses (again, both fact and fiction) and of course (most importantly) the charges of which he was convicted, and the stories surrounding this.

Let me state clearly, child abuse is a serious crime and one which personally revolts me to the core of my being. And I speak from experience. And so it was with this at the fore of my mind that I went to spend a week with Brett at his camp in Leysin, Switzerland. The key questions for me were a) what was the truth regarding the conviction, b) what was the truth behind the stories of his tortuous training methods; c) what were my instincts about him and last d) was he someone I could work with on a daily basis.

During that week, Brett was completely honest about the crime he committed. He explained what happened (as he has posted in his response on this forum and so I wont repeat here) and, as he says, admitted guilt to the charge of indecent dealing, of which he was convicted. He was given a suspended sentence and banned from coaching in Australia.

My decision about whether I could work with Brett was based on evidence I gathered, both from Brett and from other athletes who were present at the time the incident took place. I did this, and also spoke at length to the rest of the team about his past. This coupled with my own gut feeling about Brett as a man and as a coach led me to accept the offer of a place on the team.

Let me make one thing clear. I donít condone what Brett did, but I forgive him for the crime he did commit. I donít expect everyone to support or agree with the decision I have made, but I hope that in answering this question I can now close the chapter, and concentrate on doing what I do best - that is to swim, bike and run and more importantly be the sporting role model and ambassador that I would want to see. Brett, and the Team, are helping me achieve this, and for that I am truly grateful.

_________________
BLOG / COACHING
Likeys 9Bar Bike Science Eladon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
hibee seagull




Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 255
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you honesty in answering this Chrissie. This and BS response has certainly made things much clearer for me. Thanks Daz for allowing this to occur, it will have been difficult.

Now, bring on Kona Wink
_________________
Hibee seagull
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2012 TriTalk® Sports Ltd. All rights reserved.