Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Great North Run 2008 - The Wiganers Race Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Great North Run 2008 - The Wiganers Race Report Reply with quote

This is a story that starts a long time ago, well ok, only about 12 months but you get the idea. I had just managed my first season in triathlon and had received fantastic support from the Mrs and the kids.

We were sat at home together on a Sunday morning (you can tell the season had finished) Wink , when on comes the GNR in lovely sunshine. Quite out of the blue, Mrs W chirps up....."its my 40th next year, I would really love to do that with you" - once I had picked my jaw up off the floor, I said "are you sure ?" - "yeah she says, I have loved watching you race this year and the boys have too, I want some of that.....and what an achievement if I could manage to do that"......now Mrs W and sport were the least likely bedfellows you could ever imagine. She wasnt unfit in the "normal" manner, but certainly hadnt done anything to push herself physically in the sporting world ever, and I mean ever ever ! Her first run was a half mile jog, which required two stop and walks, so that gives you an idea of where she started from. First point was to pre-register ! We did that and waited for news of the ballot.

Anyway, the ballot system soon popped into both our inboxes and we entered and crossed our fingers....and YEAH, we got the email to confirm we were in....along with 52,000 other people. Now I couldnt really imagine what 52,000 people might look like, so yesterday was just amazing for me !!!

In February, Mrs W ran her first mile (still having to stop, but it was a big milestone)....Jonny and Matt even went running with her to try and help......and the summer progressed. Most of the spare time was mine with the IM training, but Mrs W still managed to keep it up.......and come the final months, she was happy and content with her weekly 8 mile runs which by now were easy stuff for her. She was sure that come race day all would be ok as long as I was prepared to walk the hilly bits with her. I told her that my day would be simple....to be there for her, to make sure she got round safely and that we both had smiles on our faces.

Race Day Arrives !!!

We found ourselves a lovely hotel about 10 miles south of the Toon, and managed to get a lift to the start line, where we just stared open mouthed at the sheer scale of it all.......as we walked past the start line who was stood there feet away from us but Tony Blair.....I managed to get a quick snap:

then it was off up the long line of people to find our holding pen in the bright sunshine, but very chilly so we had our 1 throw away ponchos to keep us warm which did the job perfectly....a nice chap dressed as a hot-dog took this as waited:

the sheer numbers were amazing and left you a little claustrophobic but everyone was calm and ready for the off. we were about half way along the snake, but even there we didnt hear the start gun, we just started to move forward to great cheers.....we approached the start line and say Chris Hoy ( I missed the other two) high-fiving, so it true "biker" style, I screamed over "CHRIS" and he looked straight round to me....and I pointed to my kit (I ran in the club kit which is of course Ashtust Bike Club).....he gave me the thumbs up and shouted "have a good race mate".....top bombing !!!!!

Off we trundled down the first couple of miles which are all down hill before you reach the Tyne Bridge.... here is Mrs W about to cross over:

I was loving it, it was a sheer joy just to run a "race" without racing.....I was just trundling along at 10-11min mile pace and having the crack with everyone I met, including the 5 Power Rangers that went past..... we did a bit of walking up the hills from miles 3-6, then Mrs W had a moment when the 1 Lucozade Sport she had nearly made a re-appearance....but we power walked through that dodgy spell to arrive at the 9 mile mark and Mrs W feeling brill....the course here is in the open so they put on some music to replace the crowds....took a bit of video:

<object><param></param><param></param></object>

then we were at 10.5 miles, but disaster stikes......a major blister on Mrs W's right archway made running exceptionally hard and we had to walk a good bit of the next couple of miles but as we reached the last mile there were two major highlights...the first being the Red Arrows who were buzzing right over your head and whooshing past over the sea at what seemed like 50m..........that was great, but no where near as good as the bloke in South Shields who had erected a marquee outside his house and was there in full Elvis get up with guitar giving it yahooooo !......what a sight !!!

The end was nearing and Mrs W had done it.......she forgot the blister and ran along towards the finish.....I felt as fresh as a daisy and sprinted ahead with my camera to take some pics.....the first one is just as we were about 100m from the end.....and the second one was literally yards from the tape....

WOW, she had done it......she had grafted it too, battling off some nausea and the blisters and had nailed it......I was so so proud of her, a real fantastic effort....we got one of the marhsalls to take this immediately after we crossed the line:

we didnt do this for a time, we did this to celebrate Mrs W birthday and a new life.......we couldnt have asked for a better day out......it was absolutely brilliant......the GNR is a fantastic event.....the sadness and tragedy of some peoples stories were there on t-shirt and banners all the way round and at times I was choked......the people of Tyne and Wear live in some of the most deprived areas of the country but were there 10 deep the whole way cheering you on.....it is a marvellous event and yesterday was just magnificent.....Mrs W's foot at the end had a blister on top of a blister and was the size of a 50p so she did it tough in the those last few miles......

If you ever get the chance to do this race, just for the experience then do it........we had an absolute blast !!!!
Jellylegs1968

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to both of you.

June - Dartmoor Classic Cyclosportif

July - Hayle Standard

September - Weymouth Classic
Slacko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Wiggy!

Brilliant smiles from MrsW !! Sounds like she had a very memorable 40th Very Happy Very Happy
Carl J

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - well chuffed for you both Very Happy Smile
Rofster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it dusty in here again? Rolling Eyes

Top stuff Mrs Wiggy a good way to ring the changes Very Happy

Even if the result is not what you expected, just wake up and do it again...
savaloy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great story - chuffed for you both - must be some very proud kids in the house at the moment - Cool
Angelina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing report. I am so glad you had a fantastic day. I hope she will keep running.
repoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Wiggy and congratulations to Mrs. W - she looks well chuffed and deserves to.

Great work!
jamous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its well dusty down here as well

you look so proud at the end martin Very Happy
woody32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post
Really well done mrs W
this is what being together is all about being there for each other and supporting your loved ones in there goals whatever they may be ,nice one
i love a happy story
BEEF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort Mr & Mrs W!!!!

*applause*

BEEF

STARTING WEIGHT: 19st9lb
CURRENT WEIGHT:17st13lb
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post mate - well done to you both

Sharing successes makes everything worthwhile

ps can she swim and cycle?

But I'm still not going to swim
pip

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. I have done the GNR twice as you cant beat it for atmosphere and a real experience.

Mrs W should be very proud of herself
newarktricky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great effort Mrs W Clap Looks like you had fantastic weather and a memorable birthday

NT Very Happy Very Happy
p00key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff Smile well done Very Happy Very Happy Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: