Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A Day In The Lakes - A new 1/2IM - 28 Jun 09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 133, 134, 135  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here goes...

I think it was theNoor who first posted a link to this race on the Fellrunners Forum about 6 months ago.

My last triathlon had been Helvellyn in 2006 but I really liked the look of this one knowing the area fairly well and having done a bit of fell running in the 'inbetween years'.

Then, of course TC persuaded me via this forum to enter The Big Woody and thus my triathlon comeback started to take shape...

Swim

Seemed to go fairly okay but didn't feel quick - I spent what felt like alot of time sighting and trying to find feet to follow rather than just get my head down and get on with it.

T1

First numpty mistake of the day - left the bike in 55:12 - not the best gear to be setting off on gravel - lost a few seconds changing gear on the mounting mat before I could even get on the thing Rolling Eyes

Bike

Pretty good really - Kirkstone was fairly tough but not too bad - as I got near the top I saw competitor no. 3 - theNoor and gave him a bit of abuse as we went over the top. Good support at the top from Sarah and the kids plus many others.

Got held up by 2 bikes waiting behind 2 cars going down the other side and was aware of a queue forming behind me - including the motorcycle ref. Eventually I decided something had to be done and overtook both bikes and the 2 cars at around 45mph - good fun!

As we turned off towards Ings, theNoor and 2 or 3 others caught back up and I thought they were riding a liitle close to one another...

Not wanting to get involved in any nonsense I let them past and the 3 riders continued in close order down the A591.

Let me say at this point - I've known theNoor for a couple of years and trust his integrity implicitly - I genuinely believe he was unaware of the drafting regs. - the guy's a top fellrunner, not a regular triathlete!

Letting these guys ride 20 or 30 metres ahead gave me a chance to regroup and get some food on before making the effort to power past them - having seen their behaviour I thought they would try and jump on my wheel but I just carried on hoping for the best.

Turns out they fell off the pace a little and I was on my own all the way up the A6 - the support at the top of Shap was amazing and provided a real lift of spirits. The bottle exchange was also very smooth costing me only 15 or 20 seconds.

In the last 5 or 6 miles of the bike I got passed by 2 guys in 'pointy hats' - I assumed they were from the 2nd wave - they were flying but gave me something to chase for a while.

T2

Not too bad - my race number had torn off at one end so I had to fix that having ridden the whole bike leg worrying it would come off altogether - hence MG's photo of me running out of transition pinning my number on!

Run

As I headed off down the road theNoor passed me just finishing his bike leg - I knew I had 5 minutes - would it be enough?

I looked at my watch - 3:30ish - could I hold him off until 4:00? Felt pretty strong and though I was running okay, but how much stronger would Ben be - he's a top fellrunner after all...

Had a gel and a cup of water at the aid station - he's still behind. Saw a group of runners climbing Fusedale and set about making some inroads - alas a lot were relay runners but, fair play, most of the relay guys let me past as soon as they knew I was 'solo'.

4:30 came and went on the watch - no sign of theNoor yet - then 4:45 - hit the tarmac road.

This was the only part of the race I didn't enjoy - it seemed to go on forever, and I kept imagining I could hear footsteps behind me - I knew he was coming...

As I came into the campsite I must have had the biggest grin on my face of my life - I honesty didn't expect to do as well as I did. I didn't look at the results for ages because I didn't want my bubble to burst.

Chatted for a while with friends and family - took some pictures with Ben which I will treasure - he's the one who made my result after all.

Sarah kept saying 'what do you need, what do you want?' I just said nothing, nothing at all - just to feel the way I feel now.

Then went into transition area and had a masive cry - what a girl Rolling Eyes

Many, many thanks to you all - not just on the day but in the months leading up to this.

TC - sorry I didn't meet you - I couldn't hang around too long waiting for you to finish Wink - I guess we'll meet up in August though???

Finally, apologies to Badger and TonyP for the accomodation c0ck ups - I'd not realised how far away we were staying and I had no 'phone coverage at the barn. Hope it didn't mess up your weekends.

Sam

p.s. Monday morning Tom wants to 'climb a mountain' so we head off up Catbells after breakfast. At home later, the kids are in bed, Tom crying himself to sleep saying how he misses the Lake District - I know how he feels...
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to thank Aliice for letting me quaff some of her very tasty cider on Sunday night.
Saw the same cider in Morrisons when sober yesterday - Westons extra strong cloudy scrumpy - 3.99 for 2 litres - surprisingly didn't have the same appeal and looked rank Rolling Eyes

I guess it was dark so I have an excuse Smile
TonyP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willy wrote:
Finally, apologies to Badger and TonyP for the accomodation c0ck ups - I'd not realised how far away we were staying and I had no 'phone coverage at the barn. Hope it didn't mess up your weekends.

Completely ruined mine mate as I had to sleep with Tim and he snores like a little train. Wink

Well done mate - told you that you would win the TT crown. Crying though...oh FFS! Laughing
boondog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I found out what the "D" stands for in ADITL Mad ...report to follow.

Nice to meet everyone, great support from fellow TT'ers and a great race. Learned lots in my first 1/2 distance.

Big thanks to the TT supporters, what a welcome sight at the top of Shap.
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
I can forgive somebody who gets pulled when 3 bike lengths back instead of 4 but you don't suck somebody's wheel by accident.

Oops! It's been so long since I've raced. I told TonyP two bike lengths. Shocked I tried to keep moving forward when in doubt, moved to the side when stuck, and moved back when overtaken. But there were fleeting moments on the Ullswater stretch where I was technically in the wrong and hold my hand up to it.

I know, ignorance doesn't excuse. I should read up more instead of finding excuses not to race. Rolling Eyes

Mind you, I wasn't as bad as the guy sitting on the bumper of the car that went by us. Evil or Very Mad
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willy wrote:
TC - sorry I didn't meet you - I couldn't hang around too long waiting for you to finish Wink - I guess we'll meet up in August though???
I didnt know you were some fast freak BWRacing, otherwise i would have HTFU. Really well done m8. Great racing you had with the noor. Luv it. I'll be the one slashing your bike tyres at TBig Woody Twisted Evil

noor - bad luck about the penalty. just have to accept it m8, they are never rescinded.
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Cobbie wrote:
I can forgive somebody who gets pulled when 3 bike lengths back instead of 4 but you don't suck somebody's wheel by accident.

Oops! It's been so long since I've raced. I told TonyP two bike lengths. Shocked I tried to keep moving forward when in doubt, moved to the side when stuck, and moved back when overtaken. But there were fleeting moments on the Ullswater stretch where I was technically in the wrong and hold my hand up to it.

Well I doubt it would have made any difference to Tony's race Twisted Evil

I would also say it's almost impossible to be squeeky clean near the start of a bike when passing ans being passed as the field is still pretty compressed. But I would say you can tell those who are trying to get out of the way and those who are seeking an advantage. Smile
Slacko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed out a huge post on this thread last night but lost it due to my laptop playing silly buggers.

I'll do a race report soon, but here's the abridged version;

Swim - not bad. The fact it was my best discipline on the day speaks volumes. 40 minutes is what I hoped for and what I got, plus I really, really, really enjoyed swimming in that lake. The swim in from the final buoy to the finish for those of us who breathe to our right was a joy - what a view. Smile

Bike - Started off ok, held speed around 35kph to Kirkstone. Caught Repoman and climbed KP next to him then we traded places numerous times for the next 15 miles or so until for some reason when it was my turn to go I had nothing left. I was broken before I even got to the A6 and struggled the rest of the way. Worship to the TT supporters at thetop of Shap, you were there when I desperately needed a lift. My bike split was about 3:17 - very disappointing.

Run - I got the info that Wigs was only a couple of minutes ahead of me and I caught him just after dodging 20 vintage tractors. My quads were starting to cramp just as I caught him, he was walking so I walked up the hill with him not letting on that I was in real trouble and that he just might win this one! We got to the top and I tried running, after about 100 yards both quads seized up and I told Wiggy it was there if he wanted it when he trotted past. I was determined not to record me first ever DNF so I walked then tried to shuffle. This worked, but shuffling on this course meant regular tripping. Still, I managed to catch and pass Wiggy and a few others incl the Bunster as it appeared others were suffering more than I was. I frankly couldn't believe the big climb when I got to it. I trudged up it slowly not wanting to trigger more cramps, got up then enjoyed a shuffle down. I stopped for a few seconds to take it some of the most spectacular scenery - made doing this race worthwhile on its own.

I took on too much at the second aid station and added stomach cramps to my cramp list for the final run in. Rolling Eyes 2:33 for the run is frankly ridiculous.

I recorded 6:38 for the race, nearly an hour slower than what I hoped for. No excuses really, the course was tougher than I was on the day.

Thanks to Badger for rescuing me by the lake. After soaking my legs for a while I got out and tried to put my shoes on which resulting in both calf muscles locking in excruciating cramp. I was lying on my back in a world of pain until Badger came along and worked the cramps out and put my shoes on for me! Laughing

The TT BBQ in the evening was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the excellent company of some truly impressive people. Cool

One thing I need to concentrate on in future is hydration & re-hydration. I'm a very heavy sweater and only took on 2 x 750ml of liquid on the bike. I had a wee just before the start of the race and didn't have my next one until the following morning, even after having several cans of lager at the BBQ. No
ray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done Slacko great race wish i had your bike split Wink

paul did you pick up my top and tri shorts Question rach said you might have

cheers
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newarktricky wrote:
The section through Lowther park was fantastic - cattle grids and all

Wasn't that just gorgeous? I would've cranked it up another notch through there if I hadn't been expecting the kind of cattle grids that would leap up and attack you. Rolling Eyes

newarktricky wrote:
badger (yes that big turning leg spinner that PaulL left and was bowled by was Shane Warne esque and truly magnificent to watch from behind the stumps Cool

Did I mention that I bowled Paul? I didn't think I had. Wink

newarktricky wrote:
A spurt and a cheeky smile for Mrs Spike.
Shocked Something going on here we should know about? Very Happy

It was great fun from the moment we got there, trying to teach miniTricky to juggle. I hope he picked up something of the technique. "Take your time" is a good rhythm to start.

Top bombing ... and the rest. Just feel good in that a piece of you will always be in the Lake District. Or should I say pieces - literally. Laughing

B Cool
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray wrote:
paul did you pick up my top and tri shorts Question rach said you might have

Yep - he's got 'em.
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacko wrote:
One thing I need to concentrate on in future is hydration & re-hydration. I'm a very heavy sweater and only took on 2 x 750ml of liquid on the bike. I had a wee just before the start of the race and didn't have my next one until the following morning, even after having several cans of lager at the BBQ. No

You need to practice not sweating, mate. Wink

Seriously, hydration is a very personal thing. I only drank one 750ml bottle on the bike but from there a bit of water at the aid stations and a gel going up Fusedale saw me through the run. Like you though, I was drinking pretty much continuously after the race (water, milk shake, tea, beer) but didn't have much need of the toilets.
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My race report is now up in my blog Smile

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/view.php?b=149
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willy wrote:

I slept in the next tent over from Tony and Tim - little fecker snores like a little train. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

No worries, mate. What a race you had! Enjoy your prize for being 'most awesome' Laughing and hope to see more inspiring reports from you in the future.

B Cool
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:

Badger 6:44 Shocked
OnTheRun 6:45 (didn't realise I'd overtaken you again)

It was good to meet you out there Badger. A big thanks to TonyP in his TriTalk gear for being the catalyst Smile

I started in the second wave so although I came in just ahead of you your overall time was quicker.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was finding it hard on those last few miles of the run by the lake. It seemed to go on for ever!!!

A big thank you to the support crew especially at Shap Fell even though you did encourage me to a new heart rate max on the bike Laughing

It was great to meet more TriTalkers at the BBQ but I just didn't have the energy to stay up as late as the rest of you.

A great turn out and a great day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 124 of 135

Jump to: