Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A Day In The Lakes - A new 1/2IM - 28 Jun 09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134, 135  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disasterP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I stayed in the Lakes for a few days after the race and what did happen, another 10+ pages on here... and the extra threads and reports to read....

I haven't got a blog so here goes....

I survived the triathlon. It was a hot day, water was warmer then expected. I was put in the second wave!!! The First went of and the second wave went into the lake going toward the yllow bouys, not listening or hereing Rob standing on the fence shouting out only go as far as the fence and waving his arm to come back. He gave up and off we went, me at least a minute behind in my wave already. Before I knew it the third wave set off, not being the fastest swimmer I had people all around me, had to keep focused and not get phased, making sure I was swimming in the correct direction, couldn't see the bouys. Actually enjoyed swimming along with others.

Ran out of the lake and into the bike area after about 45mins. Had some food changed to bike gear and then off. Rode around the length of Ulleswater, poor road surface but liking the early speed, need to prepare myself for the hill that was coming, Kirkstone Pass all 1.75 miles of it, 20% climb toward the top. With a view from the bottom of lots of bikes slowly working their way up it was a case of head down and get on with it. I had others with me at the point so was good to keep me going. I was determined not to stop and walk, up out of seat pushing hard legs burning but I made it. Downhill here was scary!!!! and fast, well as fast as could be, I was slowed by a car that couldn't overtake some other more cautious bikes on the downhill. At the turn off from the Windermere road to the Kendal road I came across a Mountain bike group of racers, annoying thing was that they wer riding side by side taking up the rode, the woman in front of my went to overtake but had to pull up sharp and got me hard on the brakes, she shouted across to them, and back came a ohhhh sorry!!!!Onto the A6 the next climb was slow and steady to Shap, took 40mins+ (took me that long) of climbing on bike, what a welcome sight was the TT supporters, pom poms, cow bells, banners, what a lift after that, thank you very much. Legs heavy and buring but still about 10 miles left to go. I loved the Lowther Castle and cattle grids too, great speed, but the run in to the campsite seemed to go on for ages. Just before the end of the bike I became emotional, probably due to exhaustion, or realising what I had just done or why, probably all, need to pull myself together the change over area was coming up, bike section took me 3hours 49 mins.

No time to rest, put the bike back changed into my trail running shoes, put the run T-Shirt on and it was off again. Turned out onto the road to head for the hill and had another emotional moment again, need to get my breathing under control, time to dig deep and get on with it, wipe my face (most have been sweat!) It was hard up the steep road to the fells, but once on the fells I liked it. This was where I was at home, in the mountains, a lot of people passed me in the swim and on the bike, but here I reeled a few in, the high view across the lake and running along the trails was uplifting even though by now my thighs and calf muscles were hurting. Off the first mountain and running to the next, I walked this the day before so knew what it was, not sure if was a good idea. Had a drink, looked at watch and it was about 6hours (I have 2hrs to run over this mountain and back 7.5miles I might even make the 8hr goal I set myself). Now the climb, I normally do this sort of thing with rucksack and boots etc. but it was good to be in running gear, it was boggy at the top and this is where I met Mrs Slacko and PaulL, seeing you and your smiles helped thank you. I left them with Mrs S enjoying the view. The decent was steep rocky and challenging! 9.5miles, looked at watch it was about 7hrs (could I come in under 7.5hrs?). Next the run back along the narrow road, will it ever end? The run was turning into a shuffle and at times a walk up the hills (it was a quicker!). I got closer to the finish hearing people cheering, seeing the TTers cheering me, still there, I was happy and exhausted all at the same time, what a feeling running into the finishing area and across the line... Wow had I just done that.
My total time came in at 7hours 19mins 28secs.

Not like you speedy ones but I'm happy with that for my first and thinking I wouldn't even make 8hrs.

What a great, day, what great people, happy to meet those I did.
Thanks so much. Great memories.

Thanks for taking photos.

May we all be Merry Men & Ladies Very Happy
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disasterp wrote:
The First went of and the second wave went into the lake going toward the yllow bouys, not listening or hereing Rob standing on the fence shouting out only go as far as the fence and waving his arm to come back. He gave up and off we went
aah, i see. spike and other plotters got enough of you to mutiny and start the 2nd wave early, knowing i wasnt there yet. the conspiracy all becomes clear now Mad Wink
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report disasterp Smile
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh! Lookee-likee
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Ooooh! Lookee-likee

Very Happy
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the report, disasterp!

Quote:
(most have been sweat!)

I felt really proud to pull it all together for that day - glad you feel the same about it as I do for our first (completed) halfs. We had that brief moment out on the swim when I caught you (Very Happy) and you were having a blast.

B Cool
Paul L

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More excellent reports. Cool

I'll update the Epic Report thread next week to link to reports in this thread.

Spike - Did I mention I was a fool?
How easy was it to download the pictures when I actually looked properly. Rolling Eyes
( And I've donated to Viper as requested, great fund raising idea Cool )

So if you want a report that takes as long to read as I took for the race... Rolling Eyes
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/view.php?b=134&t=28753

Funny, as each day passes, the more I enjoyed the race. Wink
disasterP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Well done on the report, disasterp!

Quote:
(most have been sweat!)

I felt really proud to pull it all together for that day - glad you feel the same about it as I do for our first (completed) halfs. We had that brief moment out on the swim when I caught you (Very Happy) and you were having a blast.

B Cool

I actually ment to say "must have been sweat" as opposed to anything else... but I suspect 'most' were sweating Twisted Evil

I'm left thinking though that perhaps I could have / should have put more into it.... what with the times that you lot cranked up and more by the sounds of it the effort you all put into it.
I didn't suffer any cramps, no dehydration and wasn't exhausted by the end. Confused Shocked Did I get my pacing wrong? didn't really know what I should have done, this being the first for that distance. Well at least I now have a time to improve upon.

Yes I was well and truely passed, Bagder, and I was loving it Very Happy perhaps too much. I agree with TC the start was a conspiracy.... especially for those being NumpTys dipping toes in the water, you will get caught out Rolling Eyes Smile

Ohhhh I almost forgot I did have a problem near Glenridding, my chain came off Rolling Eyes Sad

I managed to swim in the lake a few more times and on the Tuesday after climbed Hellvellyn... i need put more effort into my race Mad don't I ? Confused although at the time I thought I did Confused

May we all be Merry Men & Ladies Very Happy
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul L wrote:

Nice Cool
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
Paul L wrote:

Nice Cool
Very Happy
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'm over it. Anyone want to give me a high paid job in Cumbria so I can train on the fells over the winter and give ADITL the smackdown it deserves next year?
Slacko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivmeistergeneral wrote:
a high paid job in Cumbria

Oxymoron??

If such things existed we'd all be living in the Lake District! Smile
Cenzo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacko wrote:
tivmeistergeneral wrote:

Oxymoron??

Providing they extend the Piccadilly line Wink

"Hold me Vince" - Big Willy 21/08/10
Cobbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacko wrote:
tivmeistergeneral wrote:

Oxymoron??

I've just applied for one...along with probably 20,000 other people Rolling Eyes
jig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have any information on this for 2010? I want to know a bit more (date / entry fee) before I end up going back to wimbleball!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 133 of 135

Jump to: