Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ - good luck for the arrival at Melbourne!
jodoit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Sunshine - I am hopefully going to book accommodation this week. I have not done an ironman before, i dont know if thats a good thing or not. I have a busy race schedule between now and then with a half IM at Milton Keynes on 28 Jun 09.(This will give me abit of a shake out on were i need to be in trg).

Have you done an IM before? If so any good tips.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Almere long distance classic last year, biggest tip would be to know that you want it, the training takes over your life and the race hurts, it has to be worth it to you. Saying that I had no background in tri, I'm a runner (though not a very fast one) so one nearly sprint, one oly, one half IM and one full distance don't really qualify me as an expert!

Do you have a background in one sport or another?
jodoit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Sunshine - I will certainly put in the training,hopefully to make it abit more pleasant on the day. Smile Overall fitness is good, being in the Army for 14 years i have done quite alot of sports. Turned to Triathlon in Sep 07 when i learnt how to swim. Always done duathlons as swimming was not on agenda. I hope your training is going well.

Joelene
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the base phase of Don Finks schedule at the moment as hoping to do the Eurpoeans in Prague at the beginning of August, 'only' 9 - 10 hours a week at the moment so relatively manageable. Things will get harder when I go on shifts again.
Navy Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I have found the IMWA link!!! yipeee. Hello to everyone here, hope I can jump in as well. I have just completed IMSA in 13hours 5 mins. I hope to do better in Busselton but very dependant on weather. I live in Abu Dhabi and myself and my wife will fly to Perth on 30th November. I am very excited about the whole thing. Perhaps we could arrange for a TTer's photo prior to the event at Busselton?
JC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing have done NZ this year - thought I'd head over too.
Not entered yet but flights booked. Head out on 25/11.

Big question - luggage limits and bikes.

Flying Singapore Airlines and they seem to have quite stringent limits.

Have organised a loan for the race (You are a Legend FW) but obviously would prefer to take my own.

Just need to beat the alcoholism and do some training now... Wink Shocked
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

I've just signed up again for this most excellent race. Flying on the weekend before on Singapore, planning to spend the week chilling out in Busselton. Very much looking forward to the rematch!

Rob
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think hubby booked us on Singapore in their sale - without checking about the bike which is looking as though it's going to cost me a fortune - and only 20kg of hold luggage each, not much for long haul. He's hiring a bike in Perth but they don't do girlie ones.

Had a huge scare with the soft bike bag going to Prague too - looked out of the window to see my bike bag being loaded up the ramp, the ramp stopping and a 14 stone baggage handler walking over it! Thankfully it was ok but the team mechanics did tell me that as I now have a carbon frame I should have a hard bike box - but that will be heavier and therefore even more expensive to travel...................

Is everyone training hard?
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
Hmm, I think hubby booked us on Singapore in their sale - without checking about the bike which is looking as though it's going to cost me a fortune - and only 20kg of hold luggage each, not much for long haul. He's hiring a bike in Perth but they don't do girlie ones.

My cunning plan is to have bike plus hold luggage within the 20kg allowance. Since I'm only going for a week this should be possible. Paying the excess for a bike will cost about $360 so long as it doesn't take you over 35kg...

Little Miss Happy wrote:
Is everyone training hard?

I was, but now I'm off to Greece for my niece's christening which will now doubt involve lots of retsina drinking and eating vast piles of lamb.

R
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike weighed 16kg in it's bag - and there was nothing extra in there. It's only a 51cm frame too - what do you ride?
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
My bike weighed 16kg in it's bag - and there was nothing extra in there. It's only a 51cm frame too - what do you ride?

My bike's 9.2kg with the race wheels on, so assuming 2kg packaging that'll be 11kg. It's a nice bike but not really fancy: 2007 Specialized Transition Comp (the alloy frame, not the funky carbon one, sadly). 54cm frame. The wheels are pretty light (HED Stingers) but that's only saving a max. of about 500g.

11kg of bike leaves me a 9kg hold bag which can have all the bulky but light stuff like helmet, wetsuit etc., and anything small but heavy can go in the cabin luggage.

Cheers

Rob
JC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet to do the "Get on scales with bike" thing but suspect that I'll not need 2 much kit other than tri kit for nearly 3 weeks in WA?

You get 5kg hand luggage too don't you too? So - bearing in mind I (only)took 12KGs luggage to NZ (5 week stay) earlier this year - I reckon I could do it with 2/3 pairs shorts half a dozen t shirts, Flip Flops etc.... Plan on staying in Hostels so should have access to washing facilities so I don't smell too much! PLUS I'll get an extra shirt too when I finish!!! Very Happy

Will keep you posted...... Very Happy

No training for the forseeable as squashed foot with paving slabs at the weekend. Shocked
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 pairs of shorts? You're posh.

You'll get another t-shirt when you register (a "competitor" t-shirt) as well as the finisher's one, plus of course the finisher's towel.

Rob
edlcsre

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i flew out to NZ in 07, i packed the bike in a soft padded bag, and packed it out with clothes and stuff up to the 23kg limit (in place then!) You can actually get quite a bit of extra stuff in with the bike and still remain inside the weight limit, a lot more than you expect to, in my experience!

However, as I was going to NZ for 5 months in total, I did fly via the States so I got a second hold bag, but virtually all of my tri gear was in with the bike, including some Gels as well.

FWIW i take my trainers as hand luggage because i am paranoid about finding another pair that fit and are worn in at short notice, and have had a hold bag go missing with them in....thankfully on the way back from a race, not the way to! And to think i got laughed at for taking them as hand luggage on the way out!

Race looks amazing, yet another reason i wish i was 'down south' at the moment

Have fun everyone.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: