Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's early but...............I know that Aussie customs are ok with you taking gels in but does anyone know the rules on carb drink and energy bars such as the Honey Stinger ones - or if the latter are available in Oz? I have a limited diet due to a wheat intolerance which is easy to cater for food wise in Oz but I'm wary of new nutrition on race day so if I'm going to have to swap would rather do it sooner than later.
queasy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took an open tub of hammer perpetum into oz last year with no problems. also my bike was not as clean as it could have been and there was no problems
Russ C

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think in general with foodstuffs you're fine with processed, packaged and sealed products. It's more the raw or natural stuff they worry about. I've found it varies how much they actually check anyway. Depends who you get. With a bike you'll get sent to have it checked. Usually they just glance at a wheel and make sure there's no obvious mud on it.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to declare my drugs anyway and when I went before declared gels as foodstuffs as I wasn't sure - but they were fine with those - they did wash my trainers though.
JC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - so weighed my bike - it's 8.5kg with bottle cages (No pedals) add another 4 for bike bag and reckon that with hand luggage _ I can deal with it and take my own bike.

Need to start thinking about doing some training though.....
Nat B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my husband are both doing IMWA and we had a drama trying to find a flight that would allow us to take bike boxes.
British Airways are good they allow bike boxes as extra to your hold luggage, however once you get to Singapore you change to Qantas and then the bike box has to be included in your 23kg - great we thought.
After getting more and more fed up and doing lots of research into flights we have booked flights with Emirates via Dubai. They allow 30kg of hold luggage with no limits on size of baggage and also 7kg of hand baggage. So we reckon we can manage on this with hard shell bike boxes.

One option my husband come up with was to wear all his clothes on the plane!! There are not weight limits on that!!!!!

We have booked self catering accommodation at Geographe Bay holiday park, its about 6km south of the start location. They are offering a deal of 100$ a night for IM competitors, thats a 2 bedroom park home and includes all towels and bedding. It looks ok. Has anyone stayed there before? Very Happy
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat B

We stayed in the Geographe Bay holiday park last year, it's very nice. A little way out of town but not far enough to be a problem. It's next to a very pleasant beach and there's a small shopping mall as well.

Rob
queasy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: IMWA Reply with quote

In 2007 traveled back from NZ to Uk with Emirates and they were no problem with the bike.
It would be nice if airlines charged over weight people more as me and 30kg of bags is only 95kg. And how many people will be on the plane over 100kgs?
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time we resurrected this I think!

How's everyone's training going? I'm thinking that Oz will be a good excuse to set up a fan heater in the garage for my turbo sessions - not sure how else to acclimatise, not that it's been bad weather lately but hardly 35C Smile
timmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....really need some good advice here - hitting big 60 next year and having done several IM's in Europe really want to do a memorable one for the big birthday year. Fancy the idea of a one and only trip to Oz so doing the race too was the bait - should I be talked out of this? Know 4 people who have done Busselton and it comes recommended.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to be talked out of it timmy?
JimboP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the swim the course isn't particularly inspiring.

Beautiful part of the world though. It'll be a great holiday Smile
Russ C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree the course isn't the most inspiring once you're out the water. That said the views on the run are lovely. However it's my favourite race and I'm back for my third year in a row. The locals really make the event, everyone gets behind it and there's a real community feel.

As mentioned it's a great, relaxing tourist destination too.
Navy Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys. My training is going super good!! I have flown with a bike box using Emirates 6 months ago with no problems. I am using them this trip to Perth as well. The airline is nice and modern - good service all round.
I live in abu dhabi so heat training is not rweally an issue for me - trying to stay out of it is though.
I am getting very excited about the race. My Wife and I are spendin g a few days in Perth first then a few days after the event around the Bussleton area.
Are we going to have a TT get together with photo opportunity before the race?
JC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmy wrote:
....really need some good advice here - hitting big 60 next year and having done several IM's in Europe really want to do a memorable one for the big birthday year. Fancy the idea of a one and only trip to Oz so doing the race too was the bait - should I be talked out of this? Know 4 people who have done Busselton and it comes recommended.

Dont want to dis Busso - but go to NZ.
I did it in March - Awesome

I'll revert on Busso when Have done it in Dec Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: