Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodoit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA Reply with quote

Has anyone competed in IM Western Australia? Is there anyone who is doing the race? I know its a long way off, but any advice would be useful.

Cheers
adrian73

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some great pics taken by Younggun

http://bornskinny.com/bs110_imwa08_gallery.htm

Here's a great report about IM WA
http://tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51782&highlight=western+australia+report

I might do it one day Smile
knightlancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly recommended. Did 07 as my first tri, loved it and will go back, maybe this year.

Swim - out one side of the jetty, back the other - impossible to get lost
Bike - pancake flat, lots of support
Run - 3 flat loops by the sea

Busselton's very tiny, very pretty, everyone for hundreds of miles around seems to be there working or supporting the event. They did everything for you other than pedal the bike.

Weather in 07 was perfect, c.27C no wind, but I think they have had more severe heat before and one year postponed the swim by 30 mins as it was too rough tho.

Nice towel too.
jodoit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, im hoping to meet someone before i go who is also competing. Im praying its not a rough sea, your putting me off now.LOL Bit late for that.
JC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there spectating in 06 (I think this was the one where the start was delayed 'cos of the storm). Swim looked fab (on a calm day) but it was really hot later on.

Have a DVD if you want to have a decko?

JC
Free Willy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done Busso twice

2005 'The rough one' when the ocean was pretty choppy particularly around the end of the jetty but it was not too bad - I had a shoulder injury and was unable to swim freestyle so I swam it breaststroke and survived (and easily beat the cut-off), the wind then took over and it made it very tiring bike course as despite on the description it saying it is sheltered there are lots of places that are not, the wind at Busso has a habit of changing direction (a lot!) so it always seems never to be in your favour, once the wind had decided it had had enough the sun came out and then baked us and it was in the 30's for most of the run.

2008 'The not so rough one!' Ocean was smooth apart from the end of the jetty, wind on the bike was only up for 2 of the 3 laps and the temp only just got to 30 I think.

The swim is one of the best IM swims out there, navigation is not a problem and it is normally flat, the ocean is usually clear (I did the Busso Jetty swim a couple of weeks ago) and I could see the bottom all the way around.

The bike course as stated previously is pancake flat, there is no respite and that does make it harder than you might think and the wind can be an issue. I found that doing the Spinervals 'Tough Love' - 3 hour intervals on the wind trainer was a good training session for this course.

The run course is also flat and there is not a lot of shade so it can get very hot.

The organisation of the event is improving every year and 2008 was better than 2005, having done a few IMs in the last year this is definitely one of the better organised events.

Things to be aware of it is 3 hours drive from Perth (easy driving), accommodation gets booked up early, a lot of competitors are repeat offenders so bookings are often made from year to year.

If you want anymore information let me know, I live in Perth and have done the Busso course fairly often as the HIM is pretty much the same and that is our final event of the season in May.
Russ C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it the past two years and plan to do it again this year. It's become a favourite race of mine.

My race report is on Tri247 - http://www.tri247.com/article_4409_IMWA+race+report%3A+Russell+Cox.html

The location is beautiful and very peaceful. The locals really do get behind the race and that makes such a difference. For a small town there's tons of support out there all day.

The course is excellent, really good swim, no worries on sighting with the jetty there. There will be rumours of sharks in the days up to the race for sure Very Happy

Bike is flat and fast though ultimately that comes down to the weather on the day as winds can pick up quite a bit. Still you don't need to worry about hill work, just make sure you don't cramp up in the one position for a long time. I will say that at 3 laps I do find I get a bit bored by the final one!

The run is flat as well and you get to see lots of the bay too. Plenty of aid stations and all well manned. Lots of supporters lining the sides. As mentioned not much shade, but both years I've done it it's not been too much of a problem especially if the winds picked up a bit.

I was out there a couple of weeks early last year and trained with the local club. A great group, very welcoming and friendly and it made for a bit extra local support on race day!
meltri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be worthwhile having a look at this post for a bit of fun....

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=34957

Having said that, consensus seems to be that with approx 1200 swimmers and lots of other noise, there won't be anything around on the day. Done a lot of ocean swimming here (inc Busso 04) and haven't seen anything. Wink
Russ C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the pictures on Transitions the other day, but didn't want to put people off by linking to them! Very Happy

Sharks did seem to be the common query from the Brits I met in Busso. My take was people see dolphins in the bay, if a dolphin can swim there then a shark sure can. As you say they're unlikely to approach the noise from 1200 triathletes in the water. Anyway one function of herds is predatory avoidance, you just don't want to be one of the ones on the outer edge!

I will admit on one occasion when I was late for a club jetty swim and was going out on my own I spooked myself and ended up turning back and coming in early! I also made sure I kept my mind off big fish when I was 2km out at the end of the jetty!

Funnier story the locals told me on one swim was how someone stole a bag of coins from the local Woolworths. The police chased them and they ran out onto the jetty, along it, dived in and started swimming. The cops just waited till they gave up. Big bags of coins and swimming don't go. Apparently their ingenious escape plan was to swim about 2km along the bay to a mates house!
jodoit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys all useful information. Flipping sharks, why dont people just stop talking about them, it really is spooking me. If anyone is competing, keep in touch and we could maybe meet out there, swim with the sharks.L
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! My husband had the mad idea of doing this a few weeks ago and I have to admit that I've been encouraging him ever since - though he's now saying that he's not sure he wants to 'spoil' the holiday with an IM! He's still willing to support me though so that's good!

From what I can see there's plenty of holidaying to be done around the IM in the area and Busselton itself looks like a perfectly good base. Can someone reinforce this opinion for me? Current tentative plan is to fly to Perth and have a couple of days there, move to Busselton for a couple of weeks and then have a couple of days in Freemantle before flying home. My one big concern is travelling the bike - I only have a soft bike bag and finances are a bit of an issue.
knightlancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew with Thai using a bike box - no excess charges applied. Most people I saw were using soft bags and didn't hear any horror stories. No shortage of stuff to do around Busso.

Embrace the very slim risk of sharkery. Imagine the eternal kudos of fighting off a shark and still completing the IM. You'd be a legend.
jodoit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:
Hello! My husband had the mad idea of doing this a few weeks ago and I have to admit that I've been encouraging him ever since - though he's now saying that he's not sure he wants to 'spoil' the holiday with an IM! He's still willing to support me though so that's good!

From what I can see there's plenty of holidaying to be done around the IM in the area and Busselton itself looks like a perfectly good base. Can someone reinforce this opinion for me? Current tentative plan is to fly to Perth and have a couple of days there, move to Busselton for a couple of weeks and then have a couple of days in Freemantle before flying home. My one big concern is travelling the bike - I only have a soft bike bag and finances are a bit of an issue.

My husband has decided to support me too. We are travelling out on 28 Nov, staying in perth for 1 night then travel to Busselton on 01 Dec. We are probably going to leave around 08 Dec, due to us both being in the Army, time off has to be short. I think we are travellin with malaysian airlines? tbc. Keep in touch, maybe we could meet up out there?
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jodoit - we honeymooned in Oz four years ago and promised ourselves that we'd go back when I qualified this year before leave became an issue for us both (I'm an old student nurse).

Current plan is to be in Busselton the whole time you are so a meeting should certainly be a possibility, if not a must! Have you sorted accommodation yet? Lots in the area is already booked - especially if you want to self cater (which I need to do cos I'm awkward - wheat intolerant and don't eat meat).

Have you done IM before?
Russ C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Miss Happy wrote:

Geographe Bay area is very beautiful and I think a great holiday destination. There's not lots of attractions in the sense of museums or similar. There are plenty of wineries though! One of my favourite days the first time I was there was simply driving down the Eastern coastline of the region from one cape to the other. There's a lighthouse at each end and the transition in scenery is amazing.

On the issue of bike bags - I've been travelling with a soft bag for the past couple of years and so far no issues. Hopefully my opinion will remain the same when I arrive in Melbourne later this morning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: