Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMH and Mr LMH appear to be running together and looking good to finish relatively soon with JC not far behind!
OldNick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Russ got 2nd in 30-34 Men and 27th which should be his kona slot again.
Looks like a very, very tough marathon from the times though, be interesting to hear the race reports.

ironmanfive 2nd in 55-59 too. Good going.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldNick wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
Looks like a very, very tough marathon from the times though, be interesting to hear the race reports.

Thanks! I didn't know his name or number Smile

LMH appears to have decided to drop MrLMH in the last few miles and opened up a 7minute gap to the finish.
OldNick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
OldNick wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Thanks! I didn't know his name or number Smile

Confusingly 'DIV' is 60-64 but 2nd in that cat too. Confused
Russ C

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick one before I head back to watch the later finishers.

It was a tough day out there. Bit windier than last couple of years for the bike, but mostly it was the heat. Just built up all day. The run was hard work. My running hasn't been at it's best since Kona, but even so. I got through by pouring ice down my shorts at every aid station.

They were struggling to keep the aid stations well stocked in the conditions too.

Brief race report is on my blog here. Will do a proper one later.

Russ
JimboP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussC: Well done mate! Brilliant result. Must be well chuffed to get your qualification out the way so early!!!

Want to pace me at Lanza? Razz
theprawn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tough but successful day at the office, well done.
Russ C

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now put a much longer race report on my blog for those interested.

Apparently the conditions led to a 12% DNF rate, pretty high especially at that race. Despite the excellent level of organisation they were having trouble keeping aid stations supplied with enough fluids. Some on the bike ran out of energy drink I'm told. Looks like the conditions took them a bit by surprise

Still an amazing race and exceptionally well organised. The awards party was excellent as usual. A lot more emphasis on the party than most others! I hope now that WTC has taken back the licence and IMG aren't involved it'll remain as good. Plenty of rumours about on that one, so waiting to hear if it'll even be in Busselton next year.
ironmanfive

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im back....fantastic race event, superb organisation, had to do the trip in 7 days , thanks for your support.

Didnt get the spot..1 only, beat the oz guy in kona, but this was his patch.

Malaysia here i come.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you missed the slot ironmanfive, where are you trying next?

Russ was great - heard him finish as I set out on my second run lap (I think - was a little the worse for wear by then!).

PB'd teh swim and bike though I was dropping off on the last lap of the bike - more to do with the rising wind and heat than tiredness I think - and the run, well, usually my strongest discipline but boy was it hot! Could only tell I'd got ice in my cap and bra by feeling for the lumps - it didn't feel cold at all!

Looking forward to catching up on the race reports when I have proper internet access.
JC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal worst for me.... Shocked

I can put this down to a few things....

Heat
Bike mechanicals
Heat
Not enough run training
Heat.......

PBed the swim in 1:07 - I think this is the most beautiful swim I have ever done BTW.

15k into the bike I had my 1st puncture. Repaired it but thought the tire (which was brand new) looked a bit suspect.

10k further on second flat. They went off like pistol shots too. I look at the beading on the tire and after using both inner tubes and Co2s in 25k am thinking I'm going to DNF. At about 30k there was a static 'bike service' so I stopped and asked their opinion. Reply? "Yer beading's flocked mate!" They then proceed to lend me a wheel snd say they'll have new tire sent out to them, will fit it to MY wheel and replace on my next lap. On I go. Next lap, I refit my own wheel with new tire and compete the bike course in 6:39 (I think). Punctures and roadside consulations cost me at least 30 mins. Last lap was pretty brutal the wind had got up, the temperature was rising and the aid stations were running out of many things.

Off my bike as Patrick Vernay was crossing the line and on to the 'run'. Got 200m down the road and had to start the run/walk which as the day heated up further became a walk/run. Suffice to say it was hard, no shade and the heat was really oppressive.

As the sun went down, I got stronger and finished in the dark in 13:32. A PW by over half an hour.

Thanks to Mr & Mrs Free Willy - who I have stayed with for most of my trip and to Mr & Mrs LMH - you guys all rock!!!! Congrats to everyone who completed. It was the hardest day out I've had. Ever.

Lessons learned? Just cos your tire is new don't think that the LBS hasn't damaged it when fitting? Always check for yourself.

I also learned that I am a bit tougher than I give myself credit for! 2 years ago, I'd have bagged it no question.

Great race, great post race party, great band. Jason Shortis battered at 1am with many others. Top bloke.

If you have the opportunity - I'd recommend this race to anyone.

Home on tuesday Sad
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JC,

Mr LMH here, I hope you are enjoying Perth, we've just travelled up from Busselton today, and are in Fremantle now (we have Internet again). Just a few days before we go back to UK, it will be a bit of a shock.

We enjoyed having you stay, it was a great diversion from worrying about the Ironman.

I think both of us will write race reports shortly, but it was a great (if tough) day, and we'd definitely recommend it.
Tonto1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone been to IM-WA recently and got any info or advice to share?

Cheers
snowie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonto1 wrote:

Cheers

all depends what info/advice you want
its not cheap,no sight seeing as such (perth excluded) , its a long way to travel & very very hot (35c+) but the course is very flat.
anything else just ask
meltri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
Tonto1 wrote:

Cheers

all depends what info/advice you want
its not cheap,no sight seeing as such (perth excluded) , its a long way to travel & very very hot (35c+) but the course is very flat.
anything else just ask

Read that and you'd have no one going Wink

It's the second longest running IM in Aus now (since 2004) so they must be doing something right. Swim is iconic around the pier, can be flat and clear or a bit lumpy but never rough. Ride is almost flat but on fairly dead roads so no/limited hot melt. Predominantly riding through trees. Run is pretty exposed but lots of ocean views. There are quite a few things to do down that way particularly if you like surfing and vineyards. Perth itself is the most isolated city in the world so nothing like being in europe for variety and stuff close by. It's no more expensive than the rest of Australia - how expensive that is to someone coming from the UK will all depend on the F-Ex rate on the day. Probably a better question to ask on the transitions triathlon forum where you'll get a lot more info. Oh yes, and then there are the flies.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: