Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ C

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Russ C wrote:
The exclusion zone is 150m so you'll still be able to use the pier for sighting. Wonder if by widening the swim it makes it long though!

Did get dive bombed by a Magpie on the Tuart Drive roundabout though! There's a fair few of them about round here.

A complete 150m exclusion zone round the jetty would make the swim long, especially if it includes the far end because then you'd have to swim an extra 100m or so, turn right and swim an extra 300m (150m each side of the jetty) and then an extra 100m back, for a total of 500m extra. I'd expect the organisers to come up with a plan though, they're pretty on the ball.

I'd guess starting us a bit further out and taking a straight line back in rather than having us follow the jetty should reduce the distance a bit. Either that or opening the exclusion zone for the day - they won't be working Sunday anyway.

Rob wrote:

I wonder if it's the same psycho magpie that there was last year on the Tuart Drive roundabout. Scared the **** out of me.

Probably is! It's been bashing into my helmet every time I go through there. Made things exciting when I was doing some race pace efforts up and down Tuart.

Really windy day yesterday. If it's like that on race day times will be a lot slower than usual. Today it seems to have calmed down at least.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arse.

My achilles has started to misbehave again. I think this is curtains for me for this year.

Have a good race y'all.

Rob
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good news Rob - will you still come out?

Russ - what's the latest out there? It looks as though you're having a bit of a cold spell? What time is it getting dark? I'm trying to work out if I'm going to be running in the dark and whether I need something warm in my special needs run bag.
Russ C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a bit cooler the past few days certainly. Lot of stormy weather coming through too, plenty of rain and some high winds. Were race day like this it won't be a fast day out there. Weekend looks to be picking up again though with sun and calmer winds.

Dusk is around 7pm I think. To be honest my training is done by then and it's getting close to bedtime for me! I'm usually up before 5am to get to training! Dawn is around 5 BTW.

Had a good long run today, just a couple of hours. Finished by seeing a snake cross the bike path ahead of me. Seen them dead on the road, first live one.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ. We've had a bit of wind and rain here too Smile

So - an added incentive to get that time beginning with a 12 then - if not it will be glow sticks and all!

Back to training for me today after a couple of days off being 'under the weather' - little run this morning to test the immune response followed up this evening with a turbo session. Bike was kindly packed by my LBS in between!
JC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting to get the 'buzz'...
LMH - see you & hubby at LHR.....

Just weighed my bike and bag - 14kg! Not much room for clothes then eh?!! hahahah!

JC
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightweight - mine's 16kg and I'm a girl! (so obviously need more clothes).
Russ C

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelling out here for 5 months my luggage weighed 50kg!!

Bike, race wheels, enough kit for all sorts of conditions... Hard to travel light as a triathlete! Fortunately my ticket was booked when BA allowed bikes for free so I got here without paying an extra penny!. Not so lucky flying Sydney to Perth mind you and I suspect getting home will be pricey!
JC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore Airlines = a bit tight Sad

Sure I can do it but will be begging washing machines along the way!!! hahahah!
Mad Dog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the race a few years ago, its the poor relation to Ironman Aus but I had a great time, the bike is flat but hard work for nearly 6 hr, the swim is great with the jetty to follow so you get a straight line & the people were welcoming & it was cheap so as I said, I had a great time.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC - we've got laundry facilities so if you smell by the time you get to us you should be fresh by the time you leave Smile

Any news on the jetty/swim? I could really do without a longer swim! Mind you if they shortened the bike to make up for it..................
DanT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The below extract is taken from the monthly 'Ironed Out' newsletter. Looks like the swim will be the same i.e. around the jetty but with no spectators on the jetty.

Ironman Alert
11 November 2009

Special Ironman Alert for all Ironman WA 2009 entrants

Just in case you needed a reminder, there are just over 20 days to go until Ironman Western Australia 2009! We will be sending out a special Ironman WA race week edition of Ironed Out in the last week of November, but in the meantime, please take the time to read the following important information.

SWIM TRAINING ZONE

Ironman WA boasts one of the best Ironman swim courses in the world, taking you through the crystal clear waters of Geographe Bay, all the way around the iconic Busselton Jetty. The Jetty is currently undergoing a much needed, major re-construction, and the works will be going on during race week.

We have been closely monitoring the impact that these works will have on the swim course, working in consultation with the local Council and contractors. Obviously, the safety of our Ironman swimmers is our primary concern.

We are pleased to tell you that there will be minimal impact to the swim course on race day. However, please note the following:

Prior to race day , there will be a 150 metre exclusion zone in place around the entire jetty. Swimmers must not go within 150m of the jetty when training.

On race day , the exclusion zone will be reduced to 15 metres. During the race, floating water barriers and additional water safety marshals will be positioned to prevent you from swimming within the exclusion zone. This is for your safety. To state the obvious, this will not impact on the length of the swim course!

Click here for a map showing the location of the official swim training sessions.

Please note that due to the works, spectators will not be able to access the jetty on race day.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Dan - thanks!
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ C wrote:
Travelling out here for 5 months my luggage weighed 50kg!!

Bike, race wheels, enough kit for all sorts of conditions... Hard to travel light as a triathlete! Fortunately my ticket was booked when BA allowed bikes for free so I got here without paying an extra penny!. Not so lucky flying Sydney to Perth mind you and I suspect getting home will be pricey!

Maybe not as pricey as you think. I believe BA just charge a flat fee for excess luggage (35 for long haul?) and not per kg over weight. I think you'll pay one excess fee for any extra weight in your case adn a single fee for the bike.
Little Miss Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question time, it's getting close and the nerves are surfacing (and that's just the travel)!

Do we only find out our race number on the day we register? A few people in the UK are looking to track my progress.

Is the only internet cafe in Busselton the one in the visitor centre or is there one that's open in the evenings? Not sure I can justify the excess baggage charge to take my lap top but not used to being without it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: